ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You guys are correct, I guess. Usually, with a new client, I ask for & get a deposit up front (especially if I am buying airline tickets for our engagement). I made the mistake of not doing this in this case because I was already going to be at this particular track with other clients anyway.
Agreed. You can't take anything for granted. Treat everyone the same.

Yep.

This guy in real life is a pretty big wheeler-dealer. Perhaps he is one of those people who gets off screwing what are consiodered the "little guys" who have no recourse & no formal contract.

That said, I didn't post this to whine. I posted it so everyone is on the same page regarding who does what. This person is fairly new to coaching & to motorsports, and yet was at the track with a small team, whose other drivers brought along another experienced coach, so claiming "ignorance" is not valid.
Did you talk to the shop? They may have been able to shed light on it.

That said, I don't "qualify" my clients. Big guys or regular joes, everyone gets the same info and the same value, hopefully. If they get it, they pay. Most, gladly.

Understood, thank you...
This is probably the easiest fix. Especially with a new client.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You may be right, but there were certainly no signs of it. I am pretty well trained in reading body language, etc. Even when we parted and he asked me to send th einvoice, he'd send the check the next morning, etc all verbal and non-verbal cues were green... So I was shocked, surprised, stunned 5 days later by his email.
I understand. I would have been, too. But there's something amiss... It's a small community.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

I did not talk with the shop after the fact. I thought that would be unseemly in the context of their client owing me money. Who knows? he may have stiffed them, too. Or maybe he just gagged at their invoice and took it out on me
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ping them, perhaps they can shed light. The shops I work with their clients are some of my best advocates, because the client has a better outcome when I'm working with them and want to do it MORE!

The whole thing is disappointing, for sure.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Peter, you're probably right. However, even on Day 2, he spoke briefly with the person who referred him to me, and spoke very highly of me & the experience he was having.

Bipolar maybe?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A shame... Focus forward!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
A shame... Focus forward!
Yup. Best thing to do at this point...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Dave,

I know you don't want to hear it -- but I strongly suggest having a simple contract
that describes your company is hired (and not you personally)
and make sure you have isolation of your company and your personal finances
(even if just an LLC).

Any real lawyer will tell you anything signed can be legally ignored -- but it at least
sets the bar a little higher -- and with the contract with your company as opposed to you
it offers some level of financial protection for you.

I keep my "company" around just for ChumpCar if for no other reason.
While I have had good luck with all my drivers -- it would only take one
bad situation to endanger my family -- and I just can't have that.
Note: it might not even be initiated by a willing driver, their family could cause troubles.

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

I have been in depos all day and just read this. I agree with the guy that said look forward as well as that you need a contract of some sort.

This may be nothing more than a big misunderstanding with the client not trully knowing what he was doing up front and now is meekly running a defensive game to avoid admitting they he did not understand the rules. Not sticking up for him just playing the advocate that I'm known for.

With this in mind and the extremely high quality of your post (not to mention coaching) I will send this over to my corporate attorney to put together a SIMPLE one page if possible contract that insures everyone is on the same page.

I agree with our brother from Austin that you need to distance yourself personally from all this as a legal shield, but more importantly for your own sanity.

Of course the best use in my experience for contracts is forcing each side to sit down and understand their obligations before the deal is inked. Something about an ounce of prevention. Now this said unfortunately with legal fees being what they are contracts are poor methods to force compliance frankly you will never win on a services contract at a legal fee that even makes it worth starting.

Should have you a contract late next week unless they are to busy fighting my fires right now. Never know what those lawyers do but love the results.

Btw thanks for not throwing me out when I forgot my checkbook at Hallet

Last edited by Vonschmidt; 02-21-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys

Charles, of course I didn't . As I said, every client up to now has been a person of honor, whether they had a check book or not. In fact, I have 2 regular clients who don't like the messy invoice-at-the-track thing, so I always email it to them afterwards and they mail a check. No problem, easy peasy.

This individual is the one exception. Oh well. As the sheriff said in Cool Hand Luke: some men you just can't reach...
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

VR, you have been blessed and fortunate to work with some great people, don't let this guy get you down! Learn and move forward!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Gees, figure it out.

The way I understand the business model, you get the money up-front.

$200-$300 on the night-stand.

Use an envelope marked "gift" so there is no legal evidence of a business transaction, and of course, a red rose from 7-11 is a nice touch.

Tears and self-doubt optional.

BTW, VR... nice Avatar!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bipolar maybe?
Or, more likely just a greedy, cheap-***, pathological liar.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks, guys

Charles, of course I didn't . As I said, every client up to now has been a person of honor, whether they had a check book or not. In fact, I have 2 regular clients who don't like the messy invoice-at-the-track thing, so I always email it to them afterwards and they mail a check. No problem, easy peasy.

This individual is the one exception. Oh well. As the sheriff said in Cool Hand Luke: some men you just can't reach...
The whole phase fits well... "Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.." You should "give it" to him....
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Now, this is a first. I have never had a client stiff me or cheat me. I can't speak for other coaches here. I have had clients get sick, cars break, not want to drive in the rain, etc etc etc but if I was there with them, they paid my fee without question.
I'll offer a different perspective. Getting past the emotions of this experience(which will fade), since this client was an outlier, is it really worth changing how you've been doing things? Sure, you can have a short contract or ask for a deposit up front, but in the bigger picture the drawbacks could be greater than the benefits.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH