Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sprint Booster Installed

I just put one on my '03 X50 6 speed. This is a completely stock TT with 36K miles. It definitely woke it up. WOT response time is now under 1 sec. vs about 2 sec. when it's set off. I'm running it in the "red" position which is the most aggressive setting.

I notice the most significant change in day to day driving. All good so far.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by a914guy
WOT response time is now under 1 sec. vs about 2 sec.
Starting from what pedal position?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Default Pedal Position

Starting from idle or no throttle.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:58 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

I found this demonstration which has an interesting representation of the signal changes from stock.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Starting from idle or no throttle.
How often do you do that?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

It's just an example of timing Dock.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's just an example of timing Dock.
That's cool. I'm interested in the timing. It's just that I don't do idle-to-WOT pulls...ever. If on the very rare chance I decide to launch hard from a standing start, I always have some RPM on the engine. The majority of the time I go WOT while rolling, so there is again RPM on the engine. So the difference I'm interested in is in situations where the starting throttle position is (at a minimum) around the 1500 RPM placement, and more likely the 3000 RPM throttle placement.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I would love to know how well this works. Feathering the accelerator from a stop in 1st gear can sometimes be a slow process. My GT3 is much easier to launch cleanly, and that one has a Lt Wt flywheel clutch kit. I find the turbo is less responsive off the line, and might really benefit from this module. O2996ttx50, looking forward to your feedback. TIA
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Feathering the accelerator from a stop in 1st gear can sometimes be a slow process....I find the Turbo is less responsive off the line...
I have a LWFW in my 996 Turbo, and the car is responsive off the line. When I want it to be even more responsive off the line, I make sure the RPM is above idle before engaging the clutch; the higher the initial RPM, the more responsive the car is.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Any good tuner can manipulate the E throttle within the factory ECU programming. Even Porsche has built in a button with the 997TT called Sport Chrono.. Engaging or speeding up the potentiometer is a pseudo effect. Net HP will remain unchanged in this platform.

Christallon, what you are mentioning is most likely turbocharger LAG magnified with a dual mass flywheel.

Where are the tests on the 996TT or 997TT with the gizmo installed and run at a drag strip. That would be the ultimate test. 3 runs stock and 3 runs with the gizmo installed.. Then tune the car and run it..
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
O2996ttx50, looking forward to your feedback.
thx chris. really hoping to put it in tonight. we shall see. i'm sure it'll be worth ( with the half price deal that richard here offered ) the couple of bucks. as i always had felt ( in a difficult to articulate kind of way ) that the dbw throttle input/response was "sluggish" in an entirely different way, than say, perhaps a wot stock x50 car is. some of you will understand from experiencing the differences, what i'm trying to say. it's like dancing about architecture lol

so i am really hopeful this will be just the thing to get me that millisecond or two quicker input when i go wot.

there are also 3 settings. really looking forward to this little "add on" "GIZMO" lol

per kevins point. a "pseudo effect" as all it is it throttle manipulation will be just fine. i'll notice it "improve" or i won't. it isn;t complicated. lol. i was not ( am not ) looking to add hp. i am looking to improve by degree my throttle response and i'm confident my cargraphic tune is doing what it should, which however, is also not to say, that a newer "freshened up" umw tune would not see even further "improvement". but as it stands, i have enough power for my driving style and conditions. lets see what my throttle feels like "after", that'll tell the tale for me.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
...per kevins point. a "pseudo effect" as all it is it throttle manipulation will be just fine. i'll notice it "improve" or i won't. it isn;t complicated. lol. i want looking to add hp. i am looking to improve by degree my throttle response and i'm confident my cargraphic tune is doing what it should, which however, is also not to say, that a newer "freshened up" umw tune would not see even further "improvement". but as it stands, i have enough power for my driving style and conditions. lets see what my throttle feels like "after", that'll tell the tale for me.
I'm sure you know, the tune dictates the "delivery" of the power, not just the overall power. Your cargraphic tune may be "enough power", but it obviously isn't delivering it to your satisfaction. Otherwise, you wouldn't be adding on this gizmo.
Let Kevin "fix it" for you and enjoy the benefits of his tune and his service for years to come.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To me its just a tool that opens the throttle position sooner. My understanding is you get full throttle with less travel. So in essence the last few mm of travel are dead since the throttle is already wide open.
I would think in a drag race it makes your response time a little better.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Th Dude
I'm sure you know, the tune dictates the "delivery" of the power, not just the overall power. Your cargraphic tune may be "enough power", but it obviously isn't delivering it to your satisfaction. Otherwise, you wouldn't be adding on this gizmo.
Let Kevin "fix it" for you and enjoy the benefits of his tune and his service for years to come.
let me first say that if i felt i needed a refreshed tune, i would in fact make my first and only call to umw.

having said that, my car is serviced professionally with such frequency ( i mean cmon, every cpl weeks??! ) and attention to detail ( and even to the point of ocd/compulsive behaviors ) that it would make many that dont already think i'm nuts, swiftly cast any remnant of doubt, toward the prevailing winds.

but oh no, that is highly presumptuous. i love the power as well as the delivery of the car now, and i can assure you there is nothing "wrong" or not "optimal" with my 1.2 tune, as it sits. but i change stuff, particularly in areas that "can" be improved, and have always believed throttle input owing to the intrinsic and inherent shortcomings of a dbw setup to be one of them. now, whether or not that is purely a function of the cargraphic tune not being as good as it might be? well, their reputation speaks for itself as a german tuner of those cars and other bit n pieces lol. so i leave that for fools to speculate. personally, i wouldn't second guess cargraphic for porsche. but that's just me.

but for $140 delivered? and if just does what this video
show clearly that it does?? then it will have been $140 well spent my car is quite as fast as any merely 'bolt on" tt you're likely to find on any sunday lol.. also, i love to experiment with stuff like this, particularly if it addresses a desire i have for the car, and a very specific ( and believe me , when i say "specific" ) one, at that.

i'm talking about throttle input and milliseconds. not an "issue" with a "tune", as none exists

but more curiously?..i would've thought you "knew" me well enough to know, that if i even suspected my tune was not up to snuff? i'd have sorted that out long ago. this isn't my first rodeo

but the dude abides,.. and that's just like, well, my opinion, man.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
To me its just a tool that opens the throttle position sooner. My understanding is you get full throttle with less travel. So in essence the last few mm of travel are dead since the throttle is already wide open.
I would think in a drag race it makes your response time a little better.
i think you're absolutely spot on right. but it isn't "less travel" per se? it's about "quicker" input to the ecu. ( as i understand it, and my grasp of these kinds of things is admittedly tenuous ).

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!