Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

For those familiar with the power kit, has anyone added it to an existing S? What did it run?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Nice 2013 CPO 4S. Almost $50K off MSRP with ONLY 11K miles

Couldn't find it on their website. Didn't want to spend too long on it. Park Place has so many dealerships.

What's the price premium of a 4S over an S on, say a 2013 like this? $5k?

That's a very nice build, great car for the money and mileage.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:20 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dd356
For those familiar with the power kit, has anyone added it to an existing S? What did it run?
Don't ask. Never heard of anyone doing it after the fact. Parts alone like $10K at least. Labor like $6-7K to install. In other words, an expensive $$$ upgrade for 20HP.

Last edited by STG; 05-29-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
What's the price premium of a 4S over an S on, say a 2013 like this? $5k?

That's a very nice build, great car for the money and mileage.
Same year, same MSRP, S or 4S, comparing apples to apples pretty much. Not like 4S's depreciate less. There are less of them out there, so sometimes not as many visible "deals". The 4S didn't come out until 2013, so the 991S got a jump start on it in 2012.5
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Same year, same MSRP, S or 4S, comparing apples to apples pretty much. Not like 4S's depreciate less. There are less of them out there, so sometimes not as many visible "deals". The 4S didn't come out until 2013, so the 991S got a jump start on it in 2012.5
Interesting. The 4S sells well locally, because we live in the mountains, but I have no idea why anyone would risk wrecking their paint and car in wintertime conditions, unless they simply don't care about the car. It's an abomination! Local dealer says he loves getting 4S models in!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Interesting. The 4S sells well locally, because we live in the mountains, but I have no idea why anyone would risk wrecking their paint and car in wintertime conditions, unless they simply don't care about the car. It's an abomination! Local dealer says he loves getting 4S models in!
The 4S is a great seller. Ok, let me clarify myself. The 4S has a high base price than the S. You could argue that the resale on the 4S could be a bit higher based on part of the difference in base prices. At the same time, the "average" MSRP on a 4S is higher than an S model when options are added. So it would make sense that they are priced higher on the used market.

But as we see, prices are all over the place many times. It's all about what a seller has the car listed for AND willing to sell it for. Pretty simple.

That's why with the 911 not being a Camry, you have to not limit yourself in searches. Shipping a car is EASY as I've said. $2K for coast to coast enclosed transport and depending on route. So, $2K to save another $5K++++ AND find your dream car?? A no brainer! Or even spend $2K to actually BUY your dream car. Wait until you find one within 50 miles of home and you can be waiting a long time.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The 4S is a great seller. Ok, let me clarify myself. The 4S has a high base price than the S. You could argue that the resale on the 4S could be a bit higher based on part of the difference in base prices. At the same time, the "average" MSRP on a 4S is higher than an S model when options are added. So it would make sense that they are priced higher on the used market.

But as we see, prices are all over the place many times. It's all about what a seller has the car listed for AND willing to sell it for. Pretty simple.

That's why with the 911 not being a Camry, you have to not limit yourself in searches. Shipping a car is EASY as I've said. $2K for coast to coast enclosed transport and depending on route. So, $2K to save another $5K++++ AND find your dream car?? A no brainer! Or even spend $2K to actually BUY your dream car. Wait until you find one within 50 miles of home and you can be waiting a long time.
Would you buy a car sight unseen? Even from a reputable dealer? Just starting my search for a 991 C2S and this thought has run across my mind. Being in the Bay Area, it might be easy for me to find one in CA, but who knows? Bother with a PPI on a CPO car?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:05 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Would you buy a car sight unseen? Even from a reputable dealer? Just starting my search for a 991 C2S and this thought has run across my mind. Being in the Bay Area, it might be easy for me to find one in CA, but who knows? Bother with a PPI on a CPO car?
Here is what happened to one Rennlister when he bought, sight unseen, a "perfect" CPO 911 from Porsche of Beverly Hills.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

Here is an example of a CPO worksheet.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Certi...-checklist.pdf

The most tempting area for an unscrupulous dealer to bend/break/cheat the CPO process is in the exterior panels. Per PCNA guidelines a car can have up to 2 panels resprayed and still be qualified for CPO. And there is no requirement for the dealer to disclose to you that any panels have been resprayed.

Even "minor damage" is apparently allowed, like on this CPO C4S currently on sale at Porsche of Westmont IL.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6667/overview/

Buying based solely on general reputation of the dealer is very dangerous IMO. Instead, each car must be evaluated on its own merits.

Personally, it wouldn't make a difference to me if the CPO was signed off on by the Pope. I would still get an independent PPI done.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM
STG
Race Director

I would get ANY car checked out. Me personally, being picky on the cosmetics, I'd need to see it in person. I've flown out to see cars before. Glad I did as some have worked out and some not.

As mentioned, each car needs to be judged on its own regardless of dealer.

As far as CPO, they can be in accidents too. Just no structural damage. Also, no more than two panels repainted. The CPO process is a pretty lax one. The biggest benefit being the extended warranty over being the end all on the cars condition. Pretty much you're sure it's up to date on scheduled service and meets tire/brake wear minimums.

Overall, for every bad story there are 100 good ones. The potential bad ones are usually easy to spot.

This is all part of the pre-owned game. Takes a little work, but as we see here can be very rewarding to your bank account and fulfilling that 911 dream.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by r00t61

Buying based solely on general reputation of the dealer is very dangerous IMO. Instead, each car must be evaluated on its own merits.

Nice post (didn't want to quote it all)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM
STG
Race Director

2012.5 C2S Manual Cab. Under 4K miles and CPO. Save over $40K

http://www.bakermotorcompany.com/veh...sc-id-13466297
Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I would get ANY car checked out. Me personally, being picky on the cosmetics, I'd need to see it in person. I've flown out to see cars before. Glad I did as some have worked out and some not.

As far as CPO, they can be in accidents too. Just no structural damage. Also, no more than two panels repainted. The CPO process is a pretty lax one. The biggest benefit being the extended warranty over being the end all on the cars condition. Pretty much you're sure it's up to date on scheduled service and meets tire/brake wear minimums.

Overall, for every bad story there are 100 good ones. The potential bad ones are usually easy to spot.

This is all part of the pre-owned game. Takes a little work, but as we see here can be very rewarding to your bank account and fulfilling that 911 dream.
Makes perfect sense. Just doing a little sanity check as I see a number of RLers' threads depicting cars being loaded on transports. Personally, if I have to travel to find the right car, I'll be driving it home!
Old 05-29-2016, 03:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Personally, if I have to travel to find the right car, I'll be driving it home!

Old 05-29-2016, 03:39 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Very good advice. I got burned badly when buying a GT3 from a private party in Chicago..was promoted as a show car and pics to go along with it. As soon as I got off the truck, I could see the results of a major repair he failed to disclose.

On the flip side, I bought from another private party in which I got him to take it to the local Porsche dealership for a full inspection that I paid for. It had everything on it including detailed condition of the paint. Best 200 bucks I ever spent. Maybe the inspection includes more items than the CPO?? When I hear CPO, I think mechancial more than cosmetics.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-29-2016, 04:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Very good advice. I got burned badly when buying a GT3 from a private party in Chicago..was promoted as a show car and pics to go along with it. As soon as I got off the truck, I could see the results of a major repair he failed to disclose.

On the flip side, I bought from another private party in which I got him to take it to the local Porsche dealership for a full inspection that I paid for. It had everything on it including detailed condition of the paint. Best 200 bucks I ever spent. Maybe the inspection includes more items than the CPO?? When I hear CPO, I think mechancial more than cosmetics.
Chicago has a lot of shady independent used car dealers.

Paying the dealer to do a third party inspection as you did in case #2 was a good idea. They have no vested interest in you buying the car. You are paying for the inspection too.

If you rely on the seller giving you all the inspection info, thats definitely not an unbiased inspection many times. It's in their best interest to sell the car at any cost most of the time.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991