Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrevehorn
Very interesting. Let me understand this- you taped the front end and other areas to prevent chips and bugs into the paint. I'm amazed, but maybe because I have never seen or hear of such.
( got to admit on a trip to New Orleans got literally a full coating/layer of love bugs on the front end of a S63, and it was hurting my feeling bout the paint)
I had to drive a panamera turbo back from annapolis to ohio and 2 inch blue taped the whole front end, worked great.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Smokies Trip

All,

First let me say, I'd like to think that I've done some cool stuff in this life, but I'm certain this one takes the top spot! We all thought it would be EPIC, and it was truly amazing! It's been a bit of a lovefest afterward, but I would be re missed had I not thanked Mayor, Sean, and Others for coming up with and putting on this event. We also had some amazing sponsors that were happy to get involved and helped us keep the cost down on the event (just what a bunch of dudes that own GT3s need). In all seriousness, the sponsors helped make the event what it was, and I'm grateful for that.

This is my take on the sponsorship. To be clear, nobody asked me to do write about this. I'm doing it on my own accord. I really had nothing to do with them other than personally benefiting from their help. I thought it prudent to mention them first. Hennessy was our Title Sponsor and stepped in at the last minute to give us anything we needed. The funny thing is that John Dissen made it out to breakfast to answer all of our inquires about bucket seat availability and GT4s. He got me started on this whole 911 escapade by giving me my very first ride and drive in a 911 C2S.

http://hennessyporsche.com/

Sean had the GMG bypass on his car. It really does sound much different than the Sharkwerks bypass that I had. If I were to go back to a bypass, that's the one I'd get. I also have their RSR Rollbar that I love. I really like the new marketing crew at GMG. They have been on it, super responsive, and happy to help us on the forum. They sent us some bypasses to check out and some apparel. Too bad my efforts to get one on Mayor's car in the parking lot couldn't happen due to lack of correct tools. You'd think a bunch of gear-heads would have metric and hex sockets in their back pockets. Oh well, I tried.

http://www.gmgracing.com/

Apex was amazing. They followed us around all weekend with support. I felt so much better knowing we had a truck and trailer with the ability to get us off the road, fixed up. and back at it should be have a minor problem. Luckily other than a few cracked windshields and a homeless guy on the Blue Ridge Parkway that needed a jump, I don't think we had any issues!

http://www.theapexdetail.com/

I had personally asked Adam's if they wanted to get involved since I'm such a big fan of their detailing stuff. They sent me a bunch of detailing spray and waterless wash for the guys to test out.

http://adamspolishes.com/

Our name badges were really serious thanks to 10/10ths. Without them I would have never remembered anyone's name. I felt like I was at a major corporate event.

http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5236308.htm

Alright, enough gushing and onto my take on the event.

Preparation
I wasn't sure I was going to be able to fit a change of clothes with all of the detailing stuff and camera equipment. Surprisingly I was able to squeeze it all in the car with ease. I will say the car felt much faster the second day when I left all of that crap in my hotel room.

I decided to take I-75 up, so I taped up the car. After this trip I'm starting to second guess my stance on clear film.

My dad came along for the ride. He actually drove most of the way up since I'd be thrashing the GA/NC/TN mountains the following two days. We arrived in ATL safe and sound. This car really is pretty comfy even on a 6+ hour ride.

Arrival in North Atlanta

We grabbed lunch and set out to find a place to remove the tape and wash the car. Although it wasn't very dirty, I figured I brought all of this crap, so I might as well use it. This is the first car wash I'd been to in a LONG time. There was a crowd drawn to the car wondering why it was all taped up. They were adamant about running it through their "touchless wash." I figured you guys would get a kick out that. Instead he saw my bucket and brought me a regular hose! Now we're talking. Oh, and they had a blower to blow the car off. This was starting out just right!

Next up it was time to take a quick nap at the hotel before the BBQ on Thursday night. Just as I thought, there were a few already at the hotel.

Now was the BBQ. Because of my YouTube "fame" and my reputation of being a meticulous maniac, I was nominated to lead to the park. Of course, I got us lost. But it wasn't my fault, I took us straight to the GPS location. Oh well...I lost a few points of street cred that night.

I handed out the Adam's stuff to get that "weight" out of my car.

Breakfast

We had breakfast at a really cool place a few minutes from the hotel in Buford, 401wheels.com. Somehow it was assumed that I would be one of the four parked inside. Despite what you many think, I normally like to fade into the background, but I wasn't passing up on this one.

Now It's On!

Rather than type out a massive novel explaining the whole event, it was easier for me to make a video. There are a bunch of Sapphire Blue (me) centric photos as well.

Other Photos

The rest are the photos I downloaded from the photographer, Chad.

Thanks for reading. Maybe I'll see you next year.

Matt
Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I stopped off on my way home and snapped a few shots of the dirty car.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Nice! Love the system. I need to buy new cartridges for mine.

On another note I found an easy way to get the leaves out of the front radiator area. When I blew the master blaster through the front vents it blew the leaves and other debris out from the non-mesh covered vents. They went back out the way they went in.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Old 06-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Money2536
Race Car

So I needed to take some photos of all of my Detailing Gear for my crazy website. Since I had everything disorganized and my wife wasn't home to see this, I decided to laying everything out on my workbench. I guess you have to be committed to be a detailer.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

NICE!

Got a vacuum cleaner recommendation?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Very colorful
Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by bigkraig
NICE!

Got a vacuum cleaner recommendation?
I'm using this one for the car.

http://www.oreck.com/ultimate-handhe...acuum-Cleaners

I'm working on my complete list.

http://obsessedgarage.com/?page_id=1405
Old 06-02-2015, 11:16 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Great detailing setup! Have you tried a master blaster for drying? I was skeptical until I got one and now I'm never going back.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:25 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by electron mike
Great detailing setup! Have you tried a master blaster for drying? I was skeptical until I got one and now I'm never going back.
And it will blow the leaves out from behind the front grill!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:33 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
And it will blow the leaves out from behind the front grill!
You been using it for awhile? Have you ever used a leaf blower? If so how do they compare? I've been using a leaf blower but been thinking of making the switch. Not sure if its faster to dry and I question if I want to run a drop cord.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by meaker
You been using it for awhile? Have you ever used a leaf blower? If so how do they compare? I've been using a leaf blower but been thinking of making the switch. Not sure if its faster to dry and I question if I want to run a drop cord.
I never really use leaf blower - probably not too much of a difference other than the master blaster I have heats the air too so it dries as well as blows the water out.

The issue with the heat drying the water is if there are impurities in the water you are allowing them to dry on the car.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I had a Master Blaster for a few week, but I returned it. I hated dragging around the hose, base unit, and extension cord. Some guys have mounted theirs to the ceiling. That might be cool.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal