Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I had a Master Blaster for a few week, but I returned it. I hated dragging around the hose, base unit, and extension cord. Some guys have mounted theirs to the ceiling. That might be cool.
I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-S.../dp/B000LQB24G

works great, and easy to move around. Especially nice because, despite owning about 12 different types of drying towels, I've never found one I love.

I also have had bad success with glass microfibers. All told, I've probably got 500 mf towels of varying shapes, sizes, and types.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Thanks for summary of the Smokies Event Money. Looks like it was a blast! I really need to try and get up there next year. Was there any talk of doing it again, dates, etc?

BTW, I see we have a similar approach to highway driving
...this pic is after arriving home in SC after picking GT3 home from south FLA. Loved the Expel TracWrap, highly recommended. I have since had PPF done for piece of mind.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts
Default My Public Apology to SW and GMG

Well, I lived with the drone, resonance, and vibration of the Side Muffler/Valve delete with the factory center muffler for about a month. It gave me most everything I was hoping to accomplish:

More aggressive
Less hollow sounding
Drop the weight off the rear
Inexpensive.

It did great on the trip to the mountains driving 80mph on the highway. There was definitely drone, but it wasn't at a frequency that bothered me much. It wasn't boomy and annoying. I also loved the extra aggression it gave me when driving like an idiot around the mountains. It gives you the same aggressive note at 3000 RPMs that it does at 7000 RPMs which I wanted.

So what's the problem? I hadn't driven around town with it. Well, it just isn't liveable for me on a day to day basis. The is a really annoying resonance/vibration that is present as the engine slows to idle from say 3500 RPMs. It pains me to put all that weight back on the car, but it's done.

I drove around the block with the SW and factory mufflers reinstalled and immediately knew the center bypass is still the best option we have. That's a hard lesson to admit, but I believe it to be the truth. I still think all of the versions of the exhaust I tried are all viable for the right person. They just weren't what I was looking to accomplish.

So Miss Baby and I took the bumper off again and got to work putting the SW bypass and side mufflers back on the car. The video is below. Forgive for all of the arrogant sounding dialog. That wasn't my intent. I just talk about what's in my head and sometimes it doesn't come across well. You may want to skip around to the parts you care to see.

I talked with AWE, but I don't think there is enough of a market for them to get involved. After hearing the GMG and SW side-by-side I'm going to most likely end up with the GMG.

I think it would be fun and rather informative to make a video showing the exact difference between the two. I'm probably going to wait a while to do it as I'm a bit exhausted from taking the car apart so many times and am not super excited to drop another couple of grand on this topic.

Anyway, thanks for following me on the experiment. I had a blast.

Last edited by Money2536; 06-10-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:39 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think you need to apologize for anything, Matt. Your videos have been great for everyone to follow along the journey.

What we really need now is for Mech33 to work his arduino/gps/whatever magic to prevent the valves from switching around while the sport exhaust is on.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After hearing the GMG and SW side-by-side I'm going to most likely end up with the GMG.
Hey Matt could you explain you're thinking on why GMG over SW? Txs.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I don't think you need to apologize for anything, Matt. Your videos have been great for everyone to follow along the journey.

What we really need now is for Mech33 to work his arduino/gps/whatever magic to prevent the valves from switching around while the sport exhaust is on.
Thanks man. Does your car with the BBi have a nasty vibration as you are coming off the throttle? EVOMS is working on the software.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Hey Matt could you explain you're thinking on why GMG over SW? Txs.
Part of my issue with the SW is the hollow sound you get at lower RPMs. The GMG with the large diameter piping changes the tone of the exhaust quite a bit. I think it sounds better.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:42 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Part of my issue with the SW is the hollow sound you get at lower RPMs. The GMG with the large diameter piping changes the tone of the exhaust quite a bit. I think it sounds better.
The SW is MUCH milder than the GMG. I have the GMG and drove Lodi's SW car.

I still have the black and silver ones from the smokies event. Haven't been able to meet up with Mayur to get them back to GMG in case anyone wants one. There was a special price for the smokies event. We could check to see if they would still honor it.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Matt, I have had the Fabspeed Side Muffler delete with the valves for little over a week now and they definitely enhance the sound to my liking with little or no drone throughout the range, having the valves is key. The sound is a plus but my real reason was to eliminate 35 lbs from behind the rear axle.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks man. Does your car with the BBi have a nasty vibration as you are coming off the throttle? EVOMS is working on the software.
Just under 3k or so there is a bit of reverberation. It doesn't bother me though, i've gone almost 7000 miles like this.

I'd still like a functional button though, I know some of my neighbors hate it when I fire it up at 6am.. On the other hand some like it, i've had one guy tell me he likes the GT3 wake up call after spotting me at the gym.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odwa
Hey Matt, I have had the Fabspeed Side Muffler delete with the valves for little over a week now and they definitely enhance the sound to my liking with little or no drone throughout the range, having the valves is key. The sound is a plus but my real reason was to eliminate 35 lbs from behind the rear axle.
I talked to Evan about those, but I hate the factory operation of the valves. How much different is the transition of all of the opening and closing versus stock?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I talked to Evan about those, but I hate the factory operation of the valves. How much different is the transition of all of the opening and closing versus stock?
Maybe I don't understand your question, but they work identical to the stock bypass, I really don't notice the operation. The exhaust note is significantly more docile when in standard mode versus PSE mode.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I don't understand your question, but they work identical to the stock bypass, I really don't notice the operation. .
you dont notice when the exhaust valves open(exhaust sound about doubles) at ~ 3500 rpm?

do you ever hit 3500 rpm? lol.

its impossible not to notice it.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Maybe I don't understand your question, but they work identical to the stock bypass, I really don't notice the operation. The exhaust note is significantly more docile when in standard mode versus PSE mode.
I'm talking about how the valves are open at idle, then close at take-off, then open again around 3,500 RPMs, then close again when you shift. All of that opening and closing drives me nuts.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

So, I didn't even make a few days before remotivating myself to try again. I ordered a black ceramic coated Chris Smith Racing bypass to try out.

Videos coming soon...

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal