Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Had my first drive today!!!!!!!

This is no street car. I took my chances and put about 25 miles on it. Unfortunately only on open relatively straight roads. This car loves to be pushed if you dog it around it sputters and bucks but a slight press of the throttle and you are gone. I have driven some fast cars and this I have no doubt will not disappoint. I can't tell how fast it actually is because the power curve is so flat; feels like a very powerful 3.6L N/A engine more than any turbo I have driven. Acceleration is effortless, step on the accelerator and the car instantly moves with no effort whatsoever and just pulls right to red line. I could not tell how fast i was going but the seat of my pants tells me this car will jump 30mph in the same time my 290hp C2 will increase 10 mph.

So sadly after all that work I missed my goal of 2650 pounds dry. There is about 65 pounds of extra weight we could not figure out and after thinking about it I bet a good portion of it is all the clear film my friend applied to the car. He did a fantastic job far more than I asked for but he told me he used an entire 60" wide roll of the film. I have no doubt a good portion ended up on the floor but a roll weighs over 100 pounds. Not what I wanted but I can't argue the paint is protected and I don't think much will slow this thing down.

Brakes are a bit noisy tried to bed them in but it will take some time since everything is new. Car brakes incredibly flat no signs of dive under hard braking. Suspension is loud and clunky as expected with all the solid bushings. Steering is typical manual rack. It is fine so long as there is some motion and once moving you feel very connected to the road but I won't be able to get a true feel of how it handles until I have it on track.

I have a bunch of small things to finish but for the most part the car is ready......I just hope I am?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

We need videos!! And more pics!! And more videos!!
Thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Anthony, car came out amazing!

Last edited by SuperUser; 07-28-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Anthony, do you know how much power the engine makes? (you might have mentioned it but I forget...)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Saint-Vieux
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felicitation Tony and enjoy it, you may want to wait after a track time before considering any more modification!..
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am having issues with the video so for now all I will have is data from the aim unit but I have no doubt my times will be slow since i plan on being cautious until I get the feel for it and also verify there are no hidden issues or things I might have missed.

Meanwhile I am completely done and I went to release the tail and with my luck the tail is jammed closed. It would appear the old style latch used on the 90's cars (old style spring loaded) will not release the lid. It is a typical problem with these older latches and no amount of wiggling will get it to release so it is back on the lift and I get to remove the entire rear bumper again so I can access it from below. I can see it and the cable is working but these old ones are designed to unlatch themselves when the cable breaks in this case it is just jammed so this should be fun.

Originally Posted by breljohn
Anthony, do you know how much power the engine makes? (you might have mentioned it but I forget...)
I am not 100% sure yet. It is estimated somewhere between 425 and 450 but it feels like more. I plan on doing some dyno pulls after the event and will report back then.

Originally Posted by Saint-Vieux
Felicitation Tony and enjoy it, you may want to wait after a track time before considering any more modification!..
I am done for a while. Just got my C2 back together as well after a complete overhaul. My son and I spent 5 hours fitting the new windshield. I have done a dozen of these but never had one give me so much resistance. I have no doubt I will have some winter projects lined up for it though, you have to start someplace.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man. i see your pain. when Can I swing by to see your car(s)? I am back from Peru
Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
oh man. i see your pain. when Can I swing by to see your car(s)? I am back from Peru
It will have to be next week sometime.

I spent far too much time fixing the issue. I had to remove the rear bumper break the rear center reflector off the car and then spend nearly an hour unbolting the latch. There is little to no access but it is doable.

Apparently the upper latch has a spring and a plate which keeps tension on it which is threaded to the backer/mounting plate. This was not tightened down so driving the car loosened the assembly which moved lower than it should have. The upper pin portion of the latch actually went past the latch mechanism and locked in place on the lower latch housing below the mechanism so no amount of pulling or moving would free it. Just a stupid thing to go wrong but repairable.

You can barely see the two bolts that needed to be removed in the first picture.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Good news is it was repairable and I am finally 100% done and ready to go.

First pictures of the car 100% completed.

Still not sure what to put on the banner/visor whatever you call it part of me just wants to put Porsche in typical script in white. The other half keeps hearing the Beatles "Blue Meanie" with little Blue Meanie characters on either side.
Attached Images    
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Fantastic build! Want to drive it NOW! Haha
Congrats, enjoy
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

The weight number, is that dry? And with or without driver?
Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Back from its maiden voyage

I'm not sure where to begin. The event was fantastic I have never seen it so nice in August at the Glen couldn't have asked for better whether conditions or a group of people to hang out and drive with. It was high 70's low 80's and low humidity almost no clouds and better yet no incidents. It was like heaven.

We celebrated the retirement of my friend Denis Thovson's # as a driver. He started DE "literally" for the PCA and has decided it was time to take the RSA off the track. He will continue to Chief and instruct but there does get a point to say enough and he did it right. I think the weather was there for him.

Paul Miller Porsche brought a bunch of spectacular cars for everyone to test drive and I missed out on taking the 991 GT3 out for a spin due to a minor coolant leak but did have a nice drive in a 991 targa which my son also drove. Maybe it will give him the motivation to work harder and buy one someday.

The NASCAR circuit was not as I expected. The boot was missed but it was a blast and something different and was perfect for the cars shake out which was needed.

As expected had some technical difficulties. The computer I brought to download the info off the AIM crapped out after the first run session so I have to spend some time with it here but I lost interest and guess needed to delete the first runs my wife and I had which were of no value and unfortunately used up the memory so I don't have the later runs which would tell more.

In a word fantastic comes to mind. I couldn't be more happy with the car as a whole. It does everything so well. Balanced, easy to drive and well mannered. Power is intense. took me a few sessions to get the nerve to get on the gas hard but once I did it was a perfect power to weight for me. 3/4 throttle was fast but full throttle was jaw dropping.

Unfortunately as with any first time creation there has to be an issue. The power booster for the Electro Hydraulic brake system decided to act up. It was fine all along but first run out I was surprised to find I had no boost. Stopping this beast at speed is not easy without boost. So I had no choice but to brake early and hard. It killed my times and momentum and it was seriously fast group of guys ranging from monster builds to 650 hp 997 turbo's and numerous varieties of GT3's. So It made it interesting.

Played around with the wiring and it seemed to correct itself. My wife took it out and about half way through her run she lost boost so that was not so good for her nerves. I kept getting it to work and then would just go away without warning which was a bit dangerous. The car brakes amazingly flat under boost a slight tap and you scrub speed off like nothing. I would have to say once I get this resolved the brakes are a perfect balance for the HP of this car. I have to thank Bill V for convincing me to go with the 993 RS brakes instead of the 993 TT brakes.

I am amazed how much control this car offers; you only have to think it and this car does it. The steering input is better than I could imagine. The power is just on tap push it to the floor and hold on. I could guaranty that anyone who drove it would be hard pressed to think it was a turbocharged car. I have never been in any turbo with this much power that feels so linear and reacts exactly like a N/A engine. MY hats off to Paul and John from Protosport for building an engine and tranny that work so well together. The short gear box and guard 40/60 LSD are perfect add the rothsport shifter and golden rod and it was so easy to drive. I did figure out early enough I needed to be in one gear higher than I would have normally been in a N/A car or with a standard box but shifting was easy and for now I was using 3-5 I have no doubt once I figure it all out that 6 will be in there as well since I was coming a bit too close to redline in 5th.

So the car with power brakes is a beast it is also without but you have to work much harder. I had some nice runs and was getting comfortable when the brakes cut out again going into Turn 10 full out. Made it unscathed but a bit hairy. This was near the end of day 2 and when I pulled back into the garage I noticed a lot of fluid slightly viscous over the drivers side of the car. Apparently when the system looses pressure and you romp on the brakes it forces all the fluid back into the reservoir and out the overflow tube. This made for a nice mess and even worse brake fluid on the rear tire. So I decided to call it an event and fix the problem before heading to Palmer.

All in all it is exactly what I wanted and although far more capable than my C2 was and my turbo 3.6 and uses a lot of 993 parts it is still all 964 in feel and will easily be able to stay and or pass most well modified 997 GT3's once everything is sorted.

BTW driving the 991 Targa was boring after driving this. Nice car but felt so slow and unconnected.

The best part was all the attention the car got from young and old alike. I was asked by numerous people if I would build them a car and even the comments from the 18 year old kids who were their with their parents and some new GT3's said they would prefer the car over anything else there and there was some serious hardware.

Here are some pics of the car in motion. Some of me driving and wife about to stage.
Attached Images         
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Anthony,

That is a fantastic looking car, congratulations on completing your build you must be made up! It looks like you're in for loads of fun!

Enjoy,
Paul
Old 08-03-2015, 12:47 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Amazing. Thank you again for sharing.
so happy for you

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)