Notices

Emden to US West Coast @ 2024

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 12:16 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

For those on the Daisy Leader......we are currently heading down the coast of Argentina heading towards the turn through the Magellan Straight.
Still 21 more days at sea....we should be turning the corner and heading north in about 4 days. Note the position on the map is about 30 hours behind.
Also, this is one of the few auto carrier ships taking the long-way-round this year.....(not using the Panama Canal).

Last edited by DJN; 07-09-2024 at 02:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ferrarisimo (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 05:23 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
For those on the Daisy Leader......we are currently heading down the coast of Argentina heading towards the turn through the Magellan Straight.
Still 21 more days at sea....we should be turning the corner and heading north in about 4 days. Note the position on the map is about 30 hours behind.
Also, this is one of the few auto carrier ships taking the long-way-round this year.....(not using the Panama Canal).
I've been extrapolating its daily position on Google Maps based on its last reported speed because I'm a psycho. 😬

Currently off the coast of Viedma, Argentina.
Zakato70 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 05:49 PM
Zakato70
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I've been extrapolating its daily position on Google Maps based on its last reported speed because I'm a psycho. 😬 .
Seems perfectly normal to me. I've been doing something less precise, but same idea. That's one loooooooooong way around.....
Old 07-09-2024, 08:22 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

I've been extrapolating its daily position on Google Maps based on its last reported speed because I'm a psycho. 😬

Currently off the coast of Viedma, Argentina.
Originally Posted by Zakato70
Seems perfectly normal to me. I've been doing something less precise, but same idea. That's one loooooooooong way around.....
I knew you'd all be watching the paint dry.......

Use this link below...and click the "Route Forecast " tab in the middle of the page.....then zoom in.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...l:DAISY_LEADER

Enjoy!
Doug N

Old 07-09-2024, 08:28 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJN
I knew you'd all be watching the paint dry.......

Use this link below...and click the "Route Forecast " tab in the middle of the page.....then zoom in.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:8438830/mmsi:431193000/imo:9960227/vesselAISY_LEADER

Enjoy!
Doug N
Wait, so if you use Route Forecast, it actually shows you the satellite position of the ship? That functionality is usually limited to paying accounts, leaving only sporadic updates from terrestrial radar for free accounts.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:59 PM
Syda
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve been using Shipfix to track the most up to date position, and there isn’t a pay wall or gatekeeping:

Crystal Ray

Daisy Leader
Mike981S (07-13-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 12:32 PM
jhardy
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Does anyone know what time from San Diego port to L.A. dealerships is like? I know different ports can have different processing times…feels like San Diego is on the faster side? Is 5-6 days a fair estimate?
Old 07-10-2024, 03:23 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
Does anyone know what time from San Diego port to L.A. dealerships is like? I know different ports can have different processing times…feels like San Diego is on the faster side? Is 5-6 days a fair estimate?
My car was offloaded and the PDI was completed on the April 17th. It was released for transport on April 24th, so 7 days total. It got to the dealership that morning on the 24th.
Zakato70 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 03:41 PM
Zakato70
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Syda
I’ve been using Shipfix to track the most up to date position, and there isn’t a pay wall or gatekeeping:

Crystal Ray

Daisy Leader
Thank you! Great resource.
Syda (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Angus725
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like Glovis Caravel is going to stop in Brunswick GA on the 13th, but not Blount Island in FL. Seems like stops in San Diego and Benicia got pushed back by a few days as well.

https://gaports.com/facilities/port-...ook-brunswick/
https://www.jaxport.com/cargo/resour...ssel-schedule/

Old 07-11-2024, 02:27 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Daisy Leader will begin its transit of the Strait of Magellan in about 8 hours, so fingers crossed, everyone! That is one of the most difficult sea passages in the world, with gaps as narrow as one mile (and it's in the middle of winter down there now), though I'm sure it's a lot easier for modern-day ships than it was for Magellan himself back in the day.
Mike981S (07-13-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 05:15 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Wait, so if you use Route Forecast, it actually shows you the satellite position of the ship? That functionality is usually limited to paying accounts, leaving only sporadic updates from terrestrial radar for free accounts.
Daisy Leader will begin its transit of the Strait of Magellan in about 8 hours, so fingers crossed, everyone! That is one of the most difficult sea passages in the world, with gaps as narrow as one mile (and it's in the middle of winter down there now), though I'm sure it's a lot easier for modern-day ships than it was for Magellan himself back in the day.
I don’t know how it all works, but on the link I found it does have a delay on actual position and a point showing estimated….as far as I can tell.

Regardless, this has been giving us tons of fun tracking this unique and amazing journey around the tip of SAm, which will continue when your new machine finally arrives.
Old 07-12-2024, 02:00 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,324 Likes on 750 Posts

It's still so weird to me why they decided to take that route. Like it's not faster than the Panama Canal, and i cant imagine it's safer either with it being winter down there. According to TYD had the ship gone through the Panama Canal it would have been through already and on its way up to Hueneme Port. *sigh* crossing my fingers the extended travel doesnt affect the car in anyway.
Old 07-12-2024, 06:01 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xxyion
It's still so weird to me why they decided to take that route. Like it's not faster than the Panama Canal, and i cant imagine it's safer either with it being winter down there. According to TYD had the ship gone through the Panama Canal it would have been through already and on its way up to Hueneme Port. *sigh* crossing my fingers the extended travel doesnt affect the car in anyway.
Time is not the only factor for shipping companies. If the Panama Canal is operating at a lower than usual capacity, then for sure it's charging higher transit costs as well as "fees" for ships to skip the line. NYK probably did the math and figured that the cost of the extra fuel required to round South America outweighs the cost of going through Panama without a long wait.

At any rate, our cars are hours away from entering the Pacific Ocean. Rejoice -- we're more than halfway there.
Old 07-13-2024, 03:52 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,324 Likes on 750 Posts

Time is not the only factor for shipping companies. If the Panama Canal is operating at a lower than usual capacity, then for sure it's charging higher transit costs as well as "fees" for ships to skip the line. NYK probably did the math and figured that the cost of the extra fuel required to round South America outweighs the cost of going through Panama without a long wait.

At any rate, our cars are hours away from entering the Pacific Ocean. Rejoice -- we're more than halfway there.
I know i'm just being impatient lol. But also since Porsche doesnt offload in Hueneme is what ive heard which means i need to wait till the ship sails to Benicia which will take another week or so.

Quick Reply: Emden to US West Coast @ 2024