Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCNA sample letter -North American Supercharger access…

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:05 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
at a minimum this statment from the article is not correct - "As Tesla will not put much longer charging cords in its stalls," - Tesla is already doing this with V4 and the cable length problem is well known and has a straight forward solution - longer cables - as for incompartibility o- that also can be fixed as Tesla updates their stations…

the article assuems nothing about Superchargers can change which is a false premise - none of the issues listed in that article require changing NACS or the cars to "fix" - it requires software to be released and longer cables retrofitted to the stations.

short term thinking…
I did think it bit pessimistic tbh, hence the ‘?’ on my post.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:02 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
OMG - I think I just figured something out - seriously

CCS1 is so bad and so fragile - it makes perfect sense for charging operators to leave their stations broken - because the potential cost of constantlly "fixing" broken CCS1 cables/connector is more expensive than the lost revenue - there is ZERO correlation between "fixing" a broken CCS1 cable and any expectation of longevity - you can fix it on monday and it can be broken again on Tuesday when some one drops it again…you can't do this effectively and expect to make any money - it's better to leave it broken than fix it…because it will just break again - so you "budget" a fixed number of replacement cables to control costs - and once you "hit" that budget - well the potential lost revenue is less costly than the repair…

CCS1's design incentivizes leaving the station broken…vs. a policy of repair when broken for uptime.

WOW - OMG - WOW - I can totally see it.

why fix it, if it can just break again - we'll visit each station once every 4 months and repair any broken cables, but leave them broken until each "scheduled" visit - because the lost revenue (and saving on electricity not consumed) is a better cost control metric than unbounded repair cycles.

that boy's and girls has blown my mind for tonight!!
that explains a great deal
Old 06-14-2023, 01:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

https://insideevs.com/news/671820/ev...tors-charging/
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 02:31 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

That's the same rational I use for not washing my cars Dave, it will just get dirty again, so why bother.
The following 2 users liked this post by d00d:
daveo4porsche (06-14-2023), Dr. G7 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 05:56 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 309 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
That's the same rational I use for not washing my cars Dave, it will just get dirty again, so why bother.
Do you apply the same logic to other aspects? For example, brushing your teeth?
Old 06-14-2023, 06:21 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Well no, but I do polish them sometimes.

The following 2 users liked this post by d00d:
Dr. G7 (06-14-2023), whiz944 (10-20-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by d00d
Well no, but I do polish them sometimes.

You have a very good orthodontist.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

https://insideevs.com/news/671964/st...ging-standard/
Old 06-19-2023, 02:25 PM
droidfan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very well said and I am thinking the exact same way !! We just need Porsche AG and NA to do as soon as possible a partnership with Tesla for using the Super Chargers in the US. That's it.

My experience with EA in SF East Bay and on highway 5 between SF and LA has been indeed a real s*** show... EA basically does not deserve to survive. As a result of all of those charging issues (and also the Taycan average battery range), the used Taycan market is actually dropping very sharply ... even more than the Panamera one. Plain ridiculous for such a great car.

I love my Taycan 4S ... I really do, but not with all this stuff. I have actually decided to sell it and just get a 911 again ... with no issue to find a gas station and 450mi range (yes : Extended Range Fuel Tank).

Originally Posted by Don40
With the Ford and GM deal CCS is dead. EA only have themselves to blame, if they provided a reliable charge service most people with CCS plugs would have continued to make do, but they were horrible and deserved to be steamed rolled by Tesla. Tesla chargers are truly plug and play and that is what people want, pull up to a charger plug in and get your vehicle charged. EA and the others charging systems were pull up to the charger hopes it works, unplug replug, move to a different charger, get 10kw charging replug and if you are lucky get 75 kw if another vehicle was charging. On a good day you plugged in and it all worked you get 150kw plus and felt lucky, no way to run a business when you advertise 350kw.
I hate to admit it but Elon, has kicked EA so hard they will not exist in the next decade, they totally blew it, but that is what happens when you provide lousy customer service.
Personally, I knew we had to come to one standard charger like in Europe, and the world will eventually come up with one universal plug for all EV in the future, and Tesla might win this game again. Hats off to Elon, he outsmarted all the others manufacturers and shows that the other executives are not that smart.
I love my Taycan as a vehicle and on every road trip in the future will be reminded of how VW fell asleep at the charger switch, but I will have true plug and play charging.

Last edited by droidfan; 06-19-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Dr. G7 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 02:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by droidfan
Very well said and I am thinking the exact same way !! We just need Porsche AG and NA to do as soon as possible a partnership with Tesla for using the Super Chargers in the US. That's it.
My experience with EA in SF East Bay and on highway 5 between SF and LA has been indeed a real s*** show... EA basically does not deserve to survive. As a result of all of those charging issues (and also the Taycan average battery range), the used Taycan market is actually dropping very sharply ... even more than the Panamera one. Plain ridiculous for such a great car.
I love my Taycan 4S ... I really do, but not with all this stuff. I have actually decided to sell it and just get a 911 again ... with no issue to find a gas station and 450mi range (yes : Extended Range Fuel Tank).
The depreciation hasn't yet slammed into the later models, but it will, just like all big german sedans. The taycan for sure not my best car buy 'investment' decision, but i do like the car a lot. But I gave up on EA almost a year ago, was tired of stupid crowded stations and 1/2 the chargers not working. And this is in coastal SoCal, tons of EV infrastructure. As an around town daily, fast charging is not needed. At this point, having EV only for dailies though (aside my sports cars) is probably a few years away yet. When the Macan hits, i'll get that for my wife, sell the taycan at a huge loss, and go back to a 911 or maybe a boxster/cayman as a daily. CPO of course... I don't drive all that much, 5k miles a year or so on my daily.

And yes, Eff EA. let them die. Hopefully tesla would buy up the spaces and convert them to super chargers.

Dr. G7 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

...As a result of all of those charging issues (and also the Taycan average battery range), the used Taycan market is actually dropping very sharply
While in agreement with your sentiments, do you have actual proof that Taycan prices are dropping? Or just anecdotal? I kinda keep tabs with the Taycan used car market and prices seem steady. Emphasis on seem.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-19-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:39 PM
droidfan
Instructor

LOL ... I do have proof and .... indeed prices are actually dropping like a stone !

My late 2021 MY Taycan 4S with great options was paid before tax $140k as low mileage CPO (2400mi ish) mid October 2022. I recently was offered anywhere between $70k ish up to $99k. So a depreciation of $41k up to $70k in only 8 freaking months ...

The used cars sales manager of my fav dealership confirmed me that too and said that the Taycan depreciation is at the moment way worse than the Panamera ...

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
While in agreement with your sentiments, do you have actual proof that Taycan prices are dropping? Or just anecdotal? I kinda keep tabs with the Taycan used car market and prices seem steady.
Dr. G7 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:39 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx
...But I gave up on EA almost a year ago, was tired of stupid crowded stations and 1/2 the chargers not working. And this is in coastal SoCal, tons of EV infrastructure.
SoCal, and you are living in the "First-World" of EV. The rest of of the country is "barren."

And yes, Taycan is for local drive only. A white elephant. Toy.

Case in point: Yesterday I got the hankering for a long drive and gourmet dinner. Drive about 75 miles of rolling countryside. Restaurant about 183 miles away. Taycan about 80%, Cayenne 1/3. Luckily chose the Cayenne. Heavy rain in areas, baba in his F150 (with a cold one in hand) runs into the median, major traffic congestion for miles.

In Taycan, either I would have run out of power or take hours hopping from one busted (or 1kWh) EA to another. Cayenne, fill-up at Chevron. 10 minutes. 580 miles. No fuss, no muss.

Heads-up to self-appointed Rennlist Taycan police: I am echoing and calling out the flaws of EA, Taycan and the EV Infrastructure.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

LOL ... I do have proof and .... indeed prices are actually dropping like a stone !

My late 2021 MY Taycan 4S with great options was paid before tax $140k as low mileage CPO (2400mi ish) mid October 2022. I recently was offered anywhere between $70k ish up to $99k. So a depreciation of $41k up to $70k in only 8 freaking months ...

The used cars sales manager of my fav dealership confirmed me that too and said that the Taycan depreciation is at the moment way worse than the Panamera ...
$140 k to $70-99k in less than one year? I feel your pain.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:45 PM
droidfan
Instructor

To all folks frustrated by EA, just add, like me, your voice here for the coming class action against them :

https://www.sauderschelkopf.com/inve...investigation/

I do agree it is a great car overall and good for commute and charging at home. A somewhat disaster for medium to long drives in the US because of EA. That is just sad.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The depreciation hasn't yet slammed into the later models, but it will, just like all big german sedans. The taycan for sure not my best car buy 'investment' decision, but i do like the car a lot. But I gave up on EA almost a year ago, was tired of stupid crowded stations and 1/2 the chargers not working. And this is in coastal SoCal, tons of EV infrastructure. As an around town daily, fast charging is not needed. At this point, having EV only for dailies though (aside my sports cars) is probably a few years away yet. When the Macan hits, i'll get that for my wife, sell the taycan at a huge loss, and go back to a 911 or maybe a boxster/cayman as a daily. CPO of course... I don't drive all that much, 5k miles a year or so on my daily.

And yes, Eff EA. let them die. Hopefully tesla would buy up the spaces and convert them to super chargers.
Dr. G7 (06-19-2023)

Quick Reply: PCNA sample letter -North American Supercharger access…