Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 02:50 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?

So I saw that matrix headlights were now on the configurator and apparently available in the USA. This coincides with the news reports that such headlights are now allowed.

Then I saw this post (#76) on the Taycan forum. I can't find anything from Porsche saying that the headlights are in the car but not activated in matrix mode (or whatever it would be called) to verify this guy's post.

Anyone here know anything?
Old 01-12-2023, 05:25 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

As far as I know they've always been available in the US configurator.
The matrix functionality still isn't allowed at this point, the bill only set a date for the study to be completed.
Even if they are approved, Porsche has no plans to enable this functionality, presumably because future US regulations haven't been designed for.
You are buying a slightly noticeable increased output, and optionally black or blue accents.

The following users liked this post:
Aviator98ah (12-10-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:01 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 187 Posts

In the Configurator, if you click the "i" link next to PDLS+, at the bottom (you must scroll down), it says this:

Old 01-13-2023, 01:13 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks gents.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:54 PM
mystermykee
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you want to get technical the matrix LEDs do actually turn off and on--that is to replicate one beam as if they're on a swivel (left/right or up/down)--PDLS. It's actually kind of hard to notice since the dynamic lighting when cornering depends on speed and drive mode. You can kind of notice it when you're turning inside a neighborhood and can see your beam on garage doors.

The "+" in PDLS in the U.S is only automatic on/off high beam. LAME.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:47 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 604 Likes on 245 Posts

Don’t waste your money.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:25 PM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
As far as I know they've always been available in the US configurator.
The matrix functionality still isn't allowed at this point, the bill only set a date for the study to be completed.
Even if they are approved, Porsche has no plans to enable this functionality, presumably because future US regulations haven't been designed for.
You are buying a slightly noticeable increased output, and optionally black or blue accents.
what about the new light system?
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022...ogy-30770.html

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2023, 04:44 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Looks like a more developed version than what's on the Taycan, the question is will it be released before or after the NHTSA finalizes its rules.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:49 PM
Porschian
Instructor

Looks like a more developed version than what's on the Taycan, the question is will it be released before or after the NHTSA finalizes its rules.
I’m assuming it’s been cleared. The new Cayenne and Panamera have already debuted it.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:26 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/c...#exterior~open

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 32,000 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:00 PM
Porschian
Instructor

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/c...#exterior~open

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 32,000 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.
Ok, I didn’t see that on the Panamera site. Could even have changed recently since the Cayenne has been out for a while now.

Interesting.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...%20this%20rule.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:47 PM
ShiftyWolf
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Audi has had the full matrix lights hardware since at least 2020. The trick is that, as noted by others above, they aren't activated in the US. There was someone who was helping members unlock the feature in their cars.

I would expect Porsche's lights for the US to be exactly the same.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:01 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Don’t waste your money.
Someone on the Cayenne forum is reporting that functionality is being enabled by an independent company and videos have been posted of US Cayenne lights enabled and functioning. Maybe check that out? I have them on my Canadian Cayenne and they are impressive. Maybe they can be enabled for Taycan as well.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:51 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

In May I reached out to someone who mentioned being able to enable this.
My Taycan has the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus, I asked if retrofitting the Matrix lights and enabling them would be possible, here is the response;
Retrofits will also be able to be activated as long as you have camera on the windshields.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:59 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I would be very very careful in proceeding with swapping LED headlights for Matrix headlights - story follows:
  • good friend ordered 2023 Cayenne eHybrid Platinum
  • really really really wanted matrix headlights
  • but supply chain issues - no matrix for his order with out major delay
  • decided to proceed with order - no matrix
  • porsche really really delay'd order - but car was delivered with LED non-matrix headlights
  • he was upset
  • porsche asked what they could do to make him happy
  • he suggested factory support for matrix retrofit by his local dealer shop
  • porsche agreed- sent all parts to dealer service and told them PCNA and Germany would support matrix retrofit
  • dealer received all parts and instructions from porsche germany for the retrofit
  • dealer worked the problem for 2-3 weeks - was unable to properly retrofit matrix headlights due to deep internal wireharness issues beyond the scope of reasonable retrofit
    • porsche germany was surprised by this but after a few days delay confirmed necessary harness support for matrix is "baked in" to the vehicle very very early in assembly process - for Cayenne it is simply not practical to retrofit matrix due to differences it the 1st/main/major/primary harness package installed - you basically have to tear the car down to it's original just exiting paintshop state to replace this main harness
    • now anything is possible with sufficient time/money - but tearing down a Cayenne to it's state when it exits the paint shop is _NOT_ a practical reality
    • porsche germany was also unable to determine if there were other assembly differences that would be "discovered" in a retro fit process
  • after long delay - porsche germany and local dealer determined matrix retrofit was not feasible due to "unfixable" wireharness problems with the main/bulk harness
  • plan was called off due to cost/practicality issues even with factory engineering support
Porsche builds cars wtih such a wide variety of options and each car really is "bespoke" - the parts list for vehicle's even with very very simple options changes can push all the way to very early stages of assembly - I've seen this during my factory tour in Leipzig with what appears to be minor differences leading to very early assembly differences…example:
  • you can tell if a Macan/Panamera is North American or ROW (Rest of World) even before it enters the paintshop - bare metal body stage of manufacturing
  • how?
  • it has the hole cut out in the roof panel for the XM sat. antenna which is North America only - and leads to a very very very different "roofing harness" that changes nearly _EVERYTHING_ for that car down the line
Porsche practices just-in-time and just-sequence assembly - every part on the assembly line is "bespoke" for that VIN and that particular combination of options and vehicle region - complex dependencies need to be managed if you want change options post-assembly - in the case of a 2023 Cayenne eHybrid - given parts/assembly choices made at the earliest stages of assembly it's simply not feasible/practical to "swap/add/retrofit" matrix headlights - due to cascading assembly differences at the factory for that combination of options/vehicle-region - Taycan may be different, but it's unlikely in mind.

now YMMV - but this is a factual story for a North American Cayenne eHybrid Platinum delivered in spring of 2023 - retrofit was _NOT_ plausible even with factory porsche germany support at the local dealership.

proceed with caution - if you purchase parts I'd make sure you can obtain a refund if you can't use them.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 11-30-2023 at 09:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
blue~sky (12-03-2023), d00d (11-30-2023), thebishman (11-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?