Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 03:38 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
As an aside:

The NHTSA has had their heads up their a___es for as long as I can remember on headlights. I started installing euro H4 lights in my car back in the 1970s due to the horrible US sealed beam headlights. (Have had them in my 944 since I bought it in 1987, plus other cars as well.) I got into a email "discussion" with one of the NHTSA bureaucrats about 20 years ago. His attitude, while seemingly open, was as bad as you can imagine.

Dan Stern knows his stuff and has been a critic of the NHTSA for as long as I've known about him. (Back in pre-web usenet days in the 1980s.) I've emailed him on stuff in the way distant past too.

The silver lining is that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety finally pulled down the NHTSA's pants back in 2016 with their testing of various manufacturers headlights. Failed many/most of them - even though they were within NHTSA's specs. Here is their current page: https://www.iihs.org/topics/headlights

After the IIHS did their initial study, I sent them an email congratulating them on it. Got a nice response back from the fellow in charge of it!

I have “pixel” lighting hardware installed on two of my cars, including the 992….but still can’t get it activated. Such a shame.

Quick Reply: Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?