Sponsored by:

Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:31 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I would be very very careful in proceeding with swapping LED headlights for Matrix headlights - story follows:
  • good friend ordered 2023 Cayenne eHybrid Platinum
  • really really really wanted matrix headlights
  • but supply chain issues - no matrix for his order with out major delay
  • decided to proceed with order - no matrix
  • porsche really really delay'd order - but car was delivered with LED non-matrix headlights
  • he was upset
  • porsche asked what they could do to make him happy
  • he suggested factory support for matrix retrofit by his local dealer shop
  • porsche agreed- sent all parts to dealer service and told them PCNA and Germany would support matrix retrofit
  • dealer received all parts and instructions from porsche germany for the retrofit
  • dealer worked the problem for 2-3 weeks - was unable to properly retrofit matrix headlights due to deep internal wireharness issues beyond the scope of reasonable retrofit
    • porsche germany was surprised by this but after a few days delay confirmed necessary harness support for matrix is "baked in" to the vehicle very very early in assembly process - for Cayenne it is simply not practical to retrofit matrix due to differences it the 1st/main/major/primary harness package installed - you basically have to tear the car down to it's original just exiting paintshop state to replace this main harness
    • now anything is possible with sufficient time/money - but tearing down a Cayenne to it's state when it exits the paint shop is _NOT_ a practical reality
    • porsche germany was also unable to determine if there were other assembly differences that would be "discovered" in a retro fit process
  • after long delay - porsche germany and local dealer determined matrix retrofit was not feasible due to "unfixable" wireharness problems with the main/bulk harness
  • plan was called off due to cost/practicality issues even with factory engineering support
Porsche builds cars wtih such a wide variety of options and each car really is "bespoke" - the parts list for vehicle's even with very very simple options changes can push all the way to very early stages of assembly - I've seen this during my factory tour in Leipzig with what appears to be minor differences leading to very early assembly differences…example:
  • you can tell if a Macan/Panamera is North American or ROW (Rest of World) even before it enters the paintshop - bare metal body stage of manufacturing
  • how?
  • it has the hole cut out in the roof panel for the XM sat. antenna which is North America only - and leads to a very very very different "roofing harness" that changes nearly _EVERYTHING_ for that car down the line
Porsche practices just-in-time and just-sequence assembly - every part on the assembly line is "bespoke" for that VIN and that particular combination of options and vehicle region - complex dependencies need to be managed if you want change options post-assembly - in the case of a 2023 Cayenne eHybrid - given parts/assembly choices made at the earliest stages of assembly it's simply not feasible/practical to "swap/add/retrofit" matrix headlights - due to cascading assembly differences at the factory for that combination of options/vehicle-region - Taycan may be different, but it's unlikely in mind.

now YMMV - but this is a factual story for a North American Cayenne eHybrid Platinum delivered in spring of 2023 - retrofit was _NOT_ plausible even with factory porsche germany support at the local dealership.

proceed with caution - if you purchase parts I'd make sure you can obtain a refund if you can't use them.
I don’t buy it. No way Porsche wouldn't know what is necessary to install hardware and activate.

Last edited by kayjh; 12-07-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:40 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I don’t buy it. No way Porsche would t know what is necessary to install hardware and activate.
@Needsdecaf will confirm - this happened.
and I didn't say they don't know (although they underestimated) they determined it was not practical to retrofit them - if you have them you can activate them - but if you don't have them it's nearly impossible to retrofit them with out tearing the entire vehicle apart.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 12-07-2023 at 01:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:44 AM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
In May I reached out to someone who mentioned being able to enable this.
My Taycan has the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus, I asked if retrofitting the Matrix lights and enabling them would be possible, here is the response;
Retrofits will also be able to be activated as long as you have camera on the windshields.
Have you reached out to 9xx.com? His team activated many US spec 911 and cayenne matrix headlights. My cayenne was one of them and the matrix headlight is impressive.

Last edited by Silververtu; 12-07-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:25 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

No, daveo4porsche warned me away from trying to install the matrix headlights in the first place, thanks.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:19 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

No, daveo4porsche warned me away from trying to install the matrix headlights in the first place, thanks.
If the vehicle does not have matrix headlights from the factory, then don’t bother.
daveo4porsche (12-10-2023)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:18 AM
jwsimonep
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
In the Configurator, if you click the "i" link next to PDLS+, at the bottom (you must scroll down), it says this:

Was looking at the Macan EV builder. Do not see this disclaimer anymore. Does that mean they will be functional going forward?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:02 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

The option in .2 doesn't have the warning either, maybe functional now?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:46 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I don’t buy it. No way Porsche wouldn't know what is necessary to install hardware and activate.

Wise man.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/business/us-approves-smart-headlights.html

There’s a catch -

However, the A.D.B. system allowed by the federal agency will not be identical to those used in the rest of the world. While the infrastructure bill called for the standard approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers, which is similar to the system used in most other countries, the agency modified it, citing in its 326-page rule a Supreme Court decision that gave it the right to do so.

The problem, according to one lighting expert, is that while U.S. vehicles can soon be equipped with headlamps that use dynamically reshaping high beams to prevent glare, their light output still cannot exceed the standard set in the 1970s, which is a fraction of the light intensity allowed globally.

“Adaptive driving beam technology in the rest of the world can increase seeing and reduce glare to a greater degree than what NHTSA has specified,” said Daniel Stern, chief editor of Driving Vision News, a technical journal about global vehicle lighting and driver assistance systems.

“The U.S. has left in place an ancient cap on high-beam intensity from the late 1970s,” Mr. Stern said. “It’s a regulatory island.”

Given the length of the report, few have had the opportunity to digest its contents. Both General Motors and the Society of Automotive Engineers have reserved judgment on the new smart headlight rules.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:53 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

And…

https://www.newsweek.com/nhtsa-roadb...-lives-1811354
Old 02-11-2024, 03:15 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

The option in .2 doesn't have the warning either, maybe functional now?
They're still described as "LED-Matrix Design" which has meant a non-functional matrix feature. These are however very likely the same headlights as ROW and could be activated with programming.
As desirable as this feature sounds in theory, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have everyone on the road running around with their brights on relying on the sensors to respond quickly enough. The simple auto high beam feature doesn't respond until it sees the oncoming car's headlights usually dipping the lights in many situations a few moments too late.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:23 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the auto high beam doesn't always dip fast enough when it's raining.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:46 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts

latest article from CNN on this subject ...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/15/cars/...ars/index.html

seems like NHTSA wants a completely new design of ADB headlights from car manufacturers so to meet their requirements .... so, many more years of wait for US drivers.
CodyBigdog (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 12:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by bobblehead
latest article from CNN on this subject ...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/15/cars/...ars/index.html

seems like NHTSA wants a completely new design of ADB headlights from car manufacturers so to meet their requirements .... so, many more years of wait for US drivers.

This is just utter arrogance on the part of the NHTSA. .

So what the NHTSA is basically saying is….what’s good/works for drivers in most parts of the world, is not good (enough) for America? So we remain using old, inferior technology. Stupid.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-15-2024 at 01:01 PM.
thebishman (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:00 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
This is just utter arrogance on the part of the NHTSA. .

So what the NHTSA is basically saying is….what’s good/works for drivers in most parts of the world, is not good (enough) for America? So we remain using old, inferior technology. Stupid.
As an aside:

The NHTSA has had their heads up their a___es for as long as I can remember on headlights. I started installing euro H4 lights in my car back in the 1970s due to the horrible US sealed beam headlights. (Have had them in my 944 since I bought it in 1987, plus other cars as well.) I got into a email "discussion" with one of the NHTSA bureaucrats about 20 years ago. His attitude, while seemingly open, was as bad as you can imagine.

Dan Stern knows his stuff and has been a critic of the NHTSA for as long as I've known about him. (Back in pre-web usenet days in the 1980s.) I've emailed him on stuff in the way distant past too.

The silver lining is that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety finally pulled down the NHTSA's pants back in 2016 with their testing of various manufacturers headlights. Failed many/most of them - even though they were within NHTSA's specs. Here is their current page: https://www.iihs.org/topics/headlights

After the IIHS did their initial study, I sent them an email congratulating them on it. Got a nice response back from the fellow in charge of it!

Quick Reply: Matrix headlights in USA now--or not?