Sponsored by:

I may have been wrong about the Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 10:36 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You forgot to mention Tesla Supercharger stations with 10-15-20-30+ cars lining up waiting.............
Well, I have to hand it to you - you’re consistent in bringing up the same old tropes again and again regarding traveling with EVs.

It’s especially ironic given that you’ve made it clear that you have near zero experience actually doing so, since you have individual vehicles for each specific use case…
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:06 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Well, I have to hand it to you - you’re consistent in bringing up the same old tropes again and again regarding traveling with EVs.

It’s especially ironic given that you’ve made it clear that you have near zero experience actually doing so, since you have individual vehicles for each specific use case…
Go blame CNN, MSNBC, CBS, FOX, etc for showing holiday traffic lining up Supercharger stations for hours, wasn't something I made up, it's all over national news. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I travel to and from school everyday on an EV, 2 of them actually. BTW, do you know I fully utilize and exercise the batteries by doing the full cycle? Not just topping off all the time? if you don't exercise lithium batteries, they go bad.

Oh, and I don't discriminate, I have multiples of EVs, hybrids, normal cars, in various brands. Unlike someone, I don't blindly defend one brand. As a matter of fact, I am thinking about a EQS.

What else you want to come at me with?

Old 10-21-2021, 02:05 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Go blame CNN, MSNBC, CBS, FOX, etc for showing holiday traffic lining up Supercharger stations for hours, wasn't something I made up, it's all over national news. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I travel to and from school everyday on an EV, 2 of them actually. BTW, do you know I fully utilize and exercise the batteries by doing the full cycle? Not just topping off all the time? if you don't exercise lithium batteries, they go bad.

Oh, and I don't discriminate, I have multiples of EVs, hybrids, normal cars, in various brands. Unlike someone, I don't blindly defend one brand. As a matter of fact, I am thinking about a EQS.

What else you want to come at me with?
I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the EQS…I really am.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:29 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Go blame CNN, MSNBC, CBS, FOX, etc for showing holiday traffic lining up Supercharger stations for hours, wasn't something I made up…
Nice strawmen.

I never said you’d made it up or that hadn’t happened (though it’s exceedingly rare and becoming even less so, so it simply isn’t an issue 99+% of the time)

I said you suggesting that something that you’ve rarely or never experienced (long distance travel in an EV) is a problem is ironic.

It is.

Oh and “…come at you…” ?!? LOL

Last edited by Zcd1; 10-21-2021 at 08:32 AM.
pokingaround (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:55 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

You forgot to mention Tesla Supercharger stations with 10-15-20-30+ cars lining up waiting.............
that does happen sometimes in CA but is rare in other areas
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

it appears that you don't know that the main stream media outlets you mention are in the business of selling FUD, fears, uncertainties, and doubts.

sure there are times, especially in some spots of CA, where there are many teslas on the roads that a supercharger will have lines to charge but those situations are infrequent. I have driven teslas since 2013 and I have never encountered a wait for a charge. that said, there are some locations in FLA where I have seen almost full chargers.
one little secret about tesla's superchargers is that when sharing a charger the rate of charge is lessened for both cars with priority given to the first car to plug in. charge times at crowded chargers can be almost 2x longer than when at an empty charger.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:16 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
If you can get past the looks, the EQS looks like an excellent deal compared to the Lucid and even the Taycan.

But the looks.....I really hope it looks better in person. The interior though is pretty fantastic.
flygdchman (10-24-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I haven't gotten over the front end of the EQS yet. The profile looks exactly like a Honda Civic, it just does't have a 'presence' that a proper Mercedes flagship should have.

Interior wise it is superb. Much more rear leg room than the Taycan. A point that's useless to me however as I don't sit in the back.

Suspension tuning seems to be much more city oriented so more compliant than the Taycan, which tipped more towards the sporty side.

It is rated to have more range than the Taycan, but ti does have quite a bit bigger battery.

And it is a Mercedes, you know the company will be around for a long time, unlike say a Lucid.
XLR82XS (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:50 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Nice strawmen.

I never said you’d made it up or that hadn’t happened (though it’s exceedingly rare and becoming even less so, so it simply isn’t an issue 99+% of the time)
All depends on where you live and when you travel. Summer time here where I live, if we go on road trips, there is one town out of the metro area that's a choke point, most road traffic go through it, the next logical stop no matter which direction one goes is 100+km away so people top up there. Tesla has stations there and every summer you can see the line up, not 20 cars deep but still a line up. 6 gas stations too and those pumps also have lineups.

I said you suggesting that something that you’ve rarely or never experienced (long distance travel in an EV) is a problem is ironic.

It is.

Oh and “…come at you…” ?!? LOL
Now if I have EVs, hybrids and normal cars to choose from, why would I hobbled myself by taking the EV? When you go golfing, you take 14 clubs, why take out the 8 iron to tee off when the driver is in the bag?

Whatever my Taycan can do, my Panamera turbo S do it better, it has more room for stuff, more comfortable interior, has the same 'green' sticker for HOV lane access, goes farther on a full 'tank', etc. Why compromise?

If I go to my track, it's ~430km, thought a mountain pass, the Taycan can't do it in one go. I will have to stop at the same town for a top up, I could stretch it and go to the next town for the top up if the chargers are taken up. But if I don't stop at the first town, I HAVE to stop at the next town no matter what. I can however make the same trip, actually the round trip, on ONE tank of gas. Using destination charging I can charge up the Panamera every day and drive around the area without using gas, just like an EV. What am I missing by not taking the EV to do it?

Is that all you got btw?

Old 10-21-2021, 12:53 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Leno recently did an episode on the EQS. It is on youtube. The interior seems pretty over the top. Maybe a nit, but the windshield washer fluid port on the side is just... silly.

After our last experience with MB, I don't think my wife will ever let me buy another. Even though its major issues were with the ICE and tranny - which don't apply to an EV.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:12 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
Leno recently did an episode on the EQS. It is on youtube. The interior seems pretty over the top. Maybe a nit, but the windshield washer fluid port on the side is just... silly.

After our last experience with MB, I don't think my wife will ever let me buy another. Even though its major issues were with the ICE and tranny - which don't apply to an EV.
Unless the EQS has a trans like Taycan.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Unless the EQS has a trans like Taycan.
Yeah... I wonder how long Porsche is going to stick with the two-speed tranny. If they want to go tri-motor, to be competitive against the Plaid and eventually perhaps Lucid, I'd think they'd need to go back to a conventional single speed gear reduction box for each motor. Just a matter of limited real estate...
Old 10-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Yeah... I wonder how long Porsche is going to stick with the two-speed tranny. If they want to go tri-motor, to be competitive against the Plaid and eventually perhaps Lucid, I'd think they'd need to go back to a conventional single speed gear reduction box for each motor. Just a matter of limited real estate...
IMO, the Taycan will be the only one that ever has it.

I could be wrong...
Old 10-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Or they might add another gear to make it a 3 speed, reducing the electric motor's rpm even further for gains in efficiency.

Electric motors are most powerful and efficient at lower rpm, the higher the rpm they get the less efficient they are.

Autobahn performance for Europeans is very important, it's one area Teslas can't compete. Their motors are spinning at the absolute max to get to those speed and the power curve drop off is steep on top of the much higher current draw. Porsche's 2 speed gearbox's purpose is to drop that rpm down to optimal range to keep the efficiency while travelling at high speed.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,013 Likes on 5,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sorry but 14 minutes to get 20 gallons? Must have been the slowest pump in history. I fill up my cayenne with 25 gallons consistently in under 10 minutes, easy.
I hear you.

I can fill up in less than 5 minutes.

Anything longer than that and it must mean I'm stuck in line at a Costco gas station.

Quick Reply: I may have been wrong about the Taycan