Sponsored by:

I may have been wrong about the Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 06:02 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts
Default I may have been wrong about the Taycan

I have never driven the car . It's only recently that that I began to look at these cars and trying to remove my own bias . It started with a ride in a modern day Tesla . The Tesla of 10 years ago is not the Tesla of now . When the Taycan arrived it bothered me that they called it a "Turbo" or a "Turbo S" when there is no turbo . Had the just named it something it may have been easier .

Today I spoke with a person who I respect very much . He has driven just about every model Porsche that I can think of . He told me he was been driving a 4S . My first reaction was similar to that on the Tesla thread pointing out that the Tesla technology performance for the price overrides it poor build quality enough to factor out both for me . He said "the difference is that this car really drives like a Porsche . It does nearly everything a gas powered car can do and is beautifully appointed . Plus a really cool looking beautiful car and a Tesla looks like a bar of soap " . I said "so what of the performance" and this reply was "its only Porsche's first one . Its eons ahead in suspension and fun to drive . Its fast enough and more importantly it feels more capable . I really love the car . "

Are you guys as happy with the car as he is ? Is this your first Porsche ? Did you drive any others ? Is this your first EV ? Did you compare it to other EV's ?

Old 10-08-2021, 08:54 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I have owned lots of Porsches. Jumped in the Taycan wagon in April this year (ordered 4/1). I had a 2020 Tesla that I traded in - kept it 1.5 years. First, it's a Porsche. It has ALL the DNA of a Porsche just no gas engine. Think of an advanced Panamera. It's incredible in looks, performance, features and I'll never drive ICE vehicle for daily use ever again. (yes, I love my 991.2) The issues with Tesla paint, service, quality - but that's another thread.

Tesla is the EV appliance for the masses. Taycan is the EV for driving/Porsche enthusiasts.

Last edited by XLR82XS; 10-08-2021 at 08:55 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
Der-Schwabe (10-08-2021), Frank Abe (10-08-2021), Freddie Two Bs (10-10-2021), ggreg911 (10-08-2021), markc911 (11-27-2021), mdrobc1213 (02-04-2022), yrralis1 (10-09-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:55 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I’ve owned a 2006 Cayman S, a 2013 Boxster S, a 2013 Carrera S Cab and a 2017 Cayenne S. This is my first BEV but both my son and son in law own Teslas. It is not as much fun as the Carrera when I push it hard but for everyday use it is way to the plus side of acceptable. Being a 5000 lb 4 door sedan I’d even have to say it is pretty much fantastic to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeearly:
AlexCeres (10-09-2021), mdrobc1213 (02-04-2022)
Old 10-08-2021, 10:44 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

once you go EV very very few really want to go back - some do - but the common outcome is that it becomes harder and harder to contemplate driving an ICE again…the Taycan is a great car - the Tesla is a great EV - they are two different things - if you want a car get the Taycan - you won’t want to go back…this EV thing is here to stay and once you get “it” - gas cars become like flip phones…
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
beaudawg (11-05-2021), Deepbluejh (11-02-2021), mdrobc1213 (02-04-2022), XLR82XS (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 10:46 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

LOVE mine. Have owned multiple Porsche. By far the best daily driver I've ever owned.

Suspension comfort is sublime. Steering feel, seating position, brakes are pure Porsche. Tons of power all the time, silent cabin, and one of the best looking cars on the road.

Do you care more about software and OTA updates, or how the car feels/drives? Tesla builds better tech, Porsche builds better cars. Drive them back to back and you will understand.
The following 4 users liked this post by smohr33:
Frank Abe (10-08-2021), JetBlack (11-13-2021), mdrobc1213 (02-04-2022), XLR82XS (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:08 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

I rented a Taycan 4S once and was blown away, to the extent I contemplated trading my 718 Spyder for one. The main reason I didn’t was that I expect a current gen Taycan to depreciate a lot in the long term (though right now one year old used ones in Canada are still listed for MSRP), and I can’t afford the expected depreciation of a new Taycan, so I’ll wait a few years and see.

The car itself was fantastic. The two things my 718 Spyder does better than the Taycan 4S are steering feel and braking. The Taycan 4S I drove had base brakes; maybe I’d feel different with PSCB or PCCB. I briefly drove a Taycan Turbo S with PCCB, and those brakes felt right up there with my Spyder. Steering feel being more tactile is to be expected from a car like the 718 Spyder compared to the Taycan, since they’re on opposite ends of the spectrum, and the electric steering rack doesn’t work much differently on an EV compared to an ICE car. My 718 Spyder also makes lots of noise (engine and road noise) and makes you shift gears yourself, it’s a matter of perspective if that’s better or worse.

Acceleration from the 4S was impressive; almost the same as my 718 Spyder at the peak of its power band, except the Taycan is always in the power band, so in practice it’s much quicker. This is a typical EV trait though.

What really blew me away in the Taycan is the combination of ride quality, body control, and grip. In soft modes, Taycan’s ride quality over the most awful roads was mind blowing, my S class feels harsh over the same roads. I’m guessing the low centre of gravity allowed them to soften things without making the body sloppy. In intermediate modes, the Taycan would match the ride quality of my ABC-equipped Mercedes CL class, and have better body control than the CL, pretty close to feeling on par with my Spyder’s body control. The Taycan also had tremendous grip on highway on-ramps too, comparable to my Spyder, but unlike my Spyder, the suspension wasn’t upset by potholes and cracks in on-ramps.

With the optional noise insulating windows, it was also almost as quiet as a modern S class.

Altogether, I found the Taycan to be the best car I had ever driven (and I’ve driven a lot of cars), because the suspension, chassis, and powertrain made it a better performance car than my 718 Spyder, and the same things also made it simultaneously a better luxury car than my S and CL class Mercedes.
The following 3 users liked this post by wizee:
AlexCeres (10-10-2021), Der-Schwabe (10-08-2021), ggreg911 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 11:40 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smohr33
Do you care more about software and OTA updates, or how the car feels/drives? Tesla builds better tech, Porsche builds better cars. Drive them back to back and you will understand.
Yep!
Old 10-08-2021, 12:45 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Are you guys as happy with the car as he is ? Is this your first Porsche ? Did you drive any others ? Is this your first EV ? Did you compare it to other EV's ?
This is my 7th Porsche. I fell in love with my wife's Model 3 and I've been waiting for the right EV for me.

Taycan is not that - I don't like 4 door cars for example, but it's absolutely a great car and will keep me happy until a 2 door E-Boxster lands.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (02-04-2022)
Old 10-08-2021, 01:58 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I've owned 16 Porsches...mainly 911 variants. I was intrigued by the Taycan Cross Turismo so I ordered one. I had driven Model S and Model 3 performance. .

I think EVs are perfect for daily drivingand I will never go back, but I will always have an ICE car in the garage for weekend drives and track days. The Taycan handles very well, power is instant, and for a DD I appreciate its lack of noise.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggreg911:
AlexCeres (10-09-2021), daveo4porsche (10-08-2021), PDACPA (10-19-2021), XLR82XS (10-08-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 03:58 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wizee

With the optional noise insulating windows, it was also almost as quiet as a modern S class.

This video shows the sound from 23 min 38 seconds . It sounds awesome !! Does this feature come on all trims or only Turbo S ?
Old 10-09-2021, 11:44 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
This video shows the sound from 23 min 38 seconds . It sounds awesome !! Does this feature come on all trims or only Turbo S ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1godqbGjODs
sports sound is a option/included and available for all Taycan - some it’s included others it’s extra $$$ - but you can get it for all of them
Old 10-10-2021, 06:11 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

This is a great thread and I learned a lot from it . I am impressed by all the comments on the car . There are some hesitations that I have . I am in the top three as soon as 992 GTS slots are available . I myself love daily driving a 911 but I did consider was trading or selling my wife's 2020 Macan Turbo . I pause for these reasons :

1) My 992 is high spec and I love the build . I would have to lean it down to afford two cars and I cant bring myself to do it .. YET.
2) I have owned 5 Macans . They are great all purpose vehicles . The second generation Macan is bullet proof reliable .
3) I currently have two 911's both out of warranty . My 2017 GTS has 45K miles with zero issues and I am not worried . My other car is a 14 year old EVT750 997.1 Turbo with no issues . I dont worry about the ICE cars . I have no idea what the long term reliability or cost on a Porsche EV might be like .

So with these three above points in mind as much as I like the Taycan I am going to wait and learn more from you guys while the car evolves too.

Thanks for the replies . . It has provided a lot of insight on this car that had not been on my radar until now.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-10-2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:28 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

I’m such a fan of the Taycan. However, you can’t compare to ICE Porsche’s. EV might be here to stay, but you can’t go 100% EV w/o an ICE in the garage.

After accounting for the Taycan owners who can afford having both or more, I assume you are left with those who can only have one…..a Taycan or a ICE Turbo S, etc. Of these, I assume the one-car-do-all for those that choose Taycan are not driving enthusiasts. Or should I say it better…..are not track type driving enthusiasts. Clearly, the Taycan is the EV drivers choice. And it is here to stay for everyday commuting. But for driving fun…..that’s next year when the Taycan .2 comes out. 😀
Nabzy55 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:10 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driv200
I’m such a fan of the Taycan. However, you can’t compare to ICE Porsche’s. EV might be here to stay, but you can’t go 100% EV w/o an ICE in the garage.

After accounting for the Taycan owners who can afford having both or more, I assume you are left with those who can only have one…..a Taycan or a ICE Turbo S, etc. Of these, I assume the one-car-do-all for those that choose Taycan are not driving enthusiasts. Or should I say it better…..are not track type driving enthusiasts. Clearly, the Taycan is the EV drivers choice. And it is here to stay for everyday commuting. But for driving fun…..that’s next year when the Taycan .2 comes out. 😀
Why would you have to wait for "driving fun" for a refresh model? Taycan is INCREDIBLY fun to drive and I daily one as my one-do-all car and I am a track enthusiast. ".2" Taycan will not be next year according to Porsche although a GTS variant is rumored.
486977 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:31 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200

On the highway my Taycan can go 400ish km a full charge, my Panamera turbo S can do 800+km on a full tank and a full charge. Night and day difference especially on long road trips. A stop for the Panamera is 5 mins. A stop for the Taycan is 20min+ minutes. On a 800km road trip, that extra stop of 20mins means 40+km difference. For a say 10 hour driving day, that's 100+km less covered. Real world difference means getting to the destination for dinner and a good night sleep before heading out, vs getting to the destination late and try and find charger then rush to sleep and rush to get out again in the morning.

But between the Taycan and my Exclusive turbo S, in the city, the Taycan has more range, more comfortable seating, can deal with bumps and potholes better. Spirited driving in the mountains at 6/10th 7/10th not much difference. The fun factor I would dare say is about par. Sound department could also be a wash also, not much sound from the EV unless I enable the Sport Sound, but 911 turbo Ss aren't known for great sounding exhaust either.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Der-Schwabe (10-19-2021), kort677 (10-19-2021), Needsdecaf (10-19-2021)

Quick Reply: I may have been wrong about the Taycan