Sponsored by:

I may have been wrong about the Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021 | 01:55 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Do not assume only the USA

Originally Posted by cometguy
Well, the national parks in the US have been hitting record numbers of visitors, and most of them arrive by car (not bus). Some national parks have been filling up early in the morning and closing their gates to additional cars early in the day. That's a LOT of people on roadtrips. There are plans to put public-charging stations in and around many national and state parks And watching BEV-roadtrip adventurers on YouTube, the problems with many public-charging stations not working properly (either at all, or charging too slowly) when people arrive there to charge are also disconcerting and discouraging.
On the other hand I am always surprised at the number of Provincial Parks that are already BEV ready here. I go on a road trip here in Ontario/Quebec, arrive at a park I have never seen before and there is a charging location (2 or 4 stalls) already on site. I would not be surprised to find the European drivers see this more often too.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEVs lover)
Old 11-08-2021 | 12:24 AM
az2au
AutoX

Well, the national parks in the US have been hitting record numbers of visitors, and most of them arrive by car (not bus). Some national parks have been filling up early in the morning and closing their gates to additional cars early in the day. That's a LOT of people on roadtrips. There are plans to put public-charging stations in and around many national and state parks (and some are already in place), but for now if you take long road trips into rural areas of the western US (especially in areas near the Mountain/Pacific time-zones border), you're going to struggle to find fast-charging stations (lots of slow-charging stations including especially 14-50 stations at campgrounds). And especially now with rental cars in short supply, it's much less enticing to fly somewhere and rent a car. With family/friends spread across the country, I prefer road trips, and for now I'm keeping one or two vehicles with ICEs indefinitely (we've bought two PHEVs so far) to complement my forthcoming first BEV (that mainly for local driving and charging at home). I'm guessing it'll be a decade before it'll be easy and convenient to take BEVs to places like central Wyoming, central South Dakota, northern Montana, and even northern Arkansas, etc. And watching BEV-roadtrip adventurers on YouTube, the problems with many public-charging stations not working properly (either at all, or charging too slowly) when people arrive there to charge are also disconcerting and discouraging.
I'm definitely not disagreeing that there are use cases where they make sense as I stated. I have one that exists for me that I didn't mention. We have a house in Mexico and I have an ICE vehicle there. If I want to go anywhere that isn't the immediate are of my house I can't be sure that I can change it. Heck, if I go too far, I'm not always sure that a gas station is going to be readily available. I'm just saying that a lot of the arguments I see here make little sense to me. Even if you are an occasional road trip person the amount of time saved day to day over the course of the year will be so much that it makes the extra time spent on those road trips irrelevant for me. Dave's numbers may or may not align with what others see but I almost don't think it is relevant for 95%+ of all people.
Old 11-08-2021 | 01:51 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by az2au
I've found this somewhat fascinating to follow as I know very few people (literally none to my knowledge but I'll assume there are some that I don't know about) that take regular, spur of the moment, road trips where it would be a factor. In my nearly 50 years on this earth I can count the number of mine on one hand. Additionally, I don't really know anyone that has an EV that does road trips as a regular thing. I've only seen that here. I certainly don't. What I do know is that if I add up all of the time I've saved not visiting gas stations during my regular use of the Taycan and my wife's Model X then even if it takes a little longer on a road trip I'm so far ahead that it is irrelevant. I am totally onboard with some people that have different use cases, even though I think they are extremely rare. I just know that I'll take the regular day-to-day savings over any slight inconvenience I might experience on some theoretical road trip. If it takes me an hour longer I am still tens, if not hundreds, of hours ahead over the course of the last few years and that will continue to grow. If you're in that group that does a lot of long drives with limited options, you're right, it is an inconvenience. The other 99.99999%* of the population is likely not impacted.

*-Made up number for fun but also clearly sarcastic, it could easily be as low as 99.9%
If you ever do a 1500km road trip, need to look for charging station and wait, may have to split one-day driving into two and have to book hotel in the middle of nowhere - “saving a few minutes everyday” won’t make you feel any better.

Filling the gas once a week isn’t bad: takes 5 mins on a day when I am in no rush.

I get it, different use case. But have to point out the few minutes you save everyday doesn’t mean you have few more hours to spare elsewhere.

When I tried a Tesla, they give me the “time saving” talk, just nonsense to me.

Old 11-08-2021 | 02:17 AM
az2au
AutoX

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
If you ever do a 1500km road trip, need to look for charging station and wait, may have to split one-day driving into two and have to book hotel in the middle of nowhere - “saving a few minutes everyday” won’t make you feel any better.

Filling the gas once a week isn’t bad: takes 5 mins on a day when I am in no rush.

I get it, different use case. But have to point out the few minutes you save everyday doesn’t mean you have few more hours to spare elsewhere.

I guess. It isn't 5 min to me though. Going to a gas station is universally a PITA and I cannot ever recall it being 5 min or less because there's never been a scenario when I went where I didn't have to. It is a miracle that I've never run out of gas. Also there's no scenario where I went that I wasn't in a rush. That's not a thing for me and it is true with the car I mentioned in MX as well. Always a PITA. Always going out of the way with no benefit. The only time I ever would be in the "no rush". mindset is if I were on a road trip. Never caring about having to get gas really adds up to me. It is much the same way I view extended warranties. I have never, not even once, bought one. This has saved me thousands of dollars. Has to be close to be 6 figures+ now but I've never added it up. One time it bit me and I basically had to replace an item in full that cost $4k. I didn't love having to do it but I looked at it pragmatically, the amount I've saved over time is so much more than that money that I'm getting a great deal. Even if it sucked in the moment that doesn't make it less true. This is no different.

Again, I'm willing to concede that some people view it different. I just continue to believe that there are very few of them as I personally know zero. I'll go ahead and mark you as one. You can go ahead and mark me as someone that views going to a gas station as a PITA and that views an extremely rare wait or an extra day on a theoretical road trip a non-factor. And there's a 100% chance I'd plan any roadtrip in a way that wouldn't require me to stay an extra day in a hotel but if I had to, eh, no big deal since any road trip I make is going to mean that I have spare time anyway.
Old 11-08-2021 | 10:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, this is the deal breaker for me. We do a trip from Houston to Colorado often, and we're VERY efficient at stops (even with kids). I did the math and doing it in an EV (even a LR Tesla) would mean instead of getting there at Lunch on Day 2, we'd struggle to get there at dinner. Both because of the charging time and having to alter the route. When you're only going away for a week, two extra half days of travel is a full day of vacation lost. Especially when you've already committed to taking so much time driving.
Old 11-08-2021 | 11:11 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I think there are a number of people here who don’t understand the meaning of the term ‘trade off’, and/or incorrectly project their values and preferences on the masses. On top of that they forget that most families will initially go EV with one car and stay ICE with another, so they’ll have an option for each current use case.
Old 11-08-2021 | 11:33 AM
stever996
Instructor

Do you have a link to this source? I doubt that as much as 79% of new-car sales in the US in 2030 will be ICEVs... The EV revolution will take off very quickly now, with (1) Congress passing legislation to pay for many more public-charging stations, (2) many more EV models coming out in all price ranges and all sizes by many automakers (both traditional ICEV and new BEV automakers, and, yes, including pickup trucks!), (3) battery technology research heavily invested in for improving range, charging speed, and safety, (4) companies like Hertz and Amazon (and probably the USPS) buying BEVs by the hundreds of thousands each, (5) many countries and states putting deadline limits on new-ICEV sales in the range 2030-2040, (6) many large ICEV automakers planning to phase out production of ICEVs in favor of BEVs in the next 10-15 years (and, yes, pickup trucks are a huge part of this!), and (7) ICEV sales profits will continue to decline and ICEV depreciation will accelerate. The Hertz purchase of 200k Teslas is huge (along with creating a huge number of charging stations), and it'll get many people doing long test-drives of BEVs for the first time; don't underestimate the impact of that, and news reports indicate that other rental-car agencies are also looking at buying large numbers of BEVs... I'll be surprised if as much as 30% of new-car sales in the US are ICEVs in 2030.
Take a look at the US Energy Admin's Annual Energy Outlook 2021> Chart Library> page 35(of 56). It shows a surprising continuing reliance on ICE, though the '79%' figure must be calculated elsewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
00 AEO2021 Chart Library.pdf (1.35 MB, 37 views)

Last edited by stever996; 11-08-2021 at 11:34 AM. Reason: was able to link
Old 11-09-2021 | 04:05 PM
Zcd1
Racer

I just drove 2400+ miles (3800+KM) in my Model 3 Performance.

Did it take longer than it would have in an ICE? Yep.

Do I care? Nope.

That will be the one time I ever do that drive, so those few extra hours aren't significant to me. The time I save never needing to go to a gas station the other 99% of my driving time is well worth the extra time on the road trip.

Now, if one regularly (multiple times a year) drives those distances, THEN I could see the argument against an EV. Few people do that though, so suggesting that this is a reason to reject an EV out of hand misses the forest for the trees for most people.

Auto-steer was engaged for >70% of those miles, which truly does make a huge difference in fatigue.

Last edited by Zcd1; 11-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zcd1:
daveo4porsche (11-09-2021), jackbenner (11-09-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 06:06 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zcd1
I just drove 2400+ miles (3800+KM) in my Model 3 Performance.

Did it take longer than it would have in an ICE? Yep.

Do I care? Nope.

That will be the one time I ever do that drive, so those few extra hours aren't significant to me. The time I save never needing to go to a gas station the other 99% of my driving time is well worth the extra time on the road trip.

Now, if one regularly (multiple times a year) drives those distances, THEN I could see the argument against an EV. Few people do that though, so suggesting that this is a reason to reject an EV out of hand misses the forest for the trees for most people.

Auto-steer was engaged for >70% of those miles, which truly does make a huge difference in fatigue.
I for one appreciate taking breaks every 2.5 to 3 hours when the car needs to charge. I can relieve myself, get a bite to eat, stretch my legs a bit and turn my mind away from being on constant driving alert.
my driving NJ to FLA days are long gone. so those 30 minute charge breaks are for me a good thing.
YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by kort677:
flygdchman (11-10-2021), Zcd1 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 11:01 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

The time I save never needing to go to a gas station the other 99% of my driving time is well worth the extra time on the road trip.

I think this is a very important point that many people miss. And if one retains a vehicle with an ICE in it for road trips, having an EV for driving within the charge range of home on a daily basis makes all the sense in the world.

Glad that you're still among the living. I personally would never use any auto-steer feature in any car. ACC, sure, but steering will always be by me; I don't trust any software to steer properly with all the complicated messes on our roadways.
Old 11-11-2021 | 12:24 AM
Zcd1
Racer

…Glad that you're still among the living. I personally would never use any auto-steer feature in any car. ACC, sure, but steering will always be by me; I don't trust any software to steer properly with all the complicated messes on our roadways.
LOL - that’s cool.

Wide-open interstates are perfect roads for auto-steer, and that’s where I was ~85% of those miles. My car’s auto-steer works quite well and reliably, maintaining the center of lane with few issues.
Old 11-11-2021 | 08:05 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

LOL - that’s cool.

Wide-open interstates are perfect roads for auto-steer, and that’s where I was ~85% of those miles. My car’s auto-steer works quite well and reliably, maintaining the center of lane with few issues.
innodrive. tesla's AP and other similar systems also work great when bogged down in stop and go traffic.

I have driven thousands of miles with the tesla AP system, a few hundred on innodrive and while tesla's system is superior the innodrive works almost as good.
Old 11-11-2021 | 08:24 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kort677
innodrive. tesla's AP and other similar systems also work great when bogged down in stop and go traffic.

I have driven thousands of miles with the tesla AP system, a few hundred on innodrive and while tesla's system is superior the innodrive works almost as good.
I did a few hundred km on a rented Taycan with InnoDrive and thought it did a pretty good job at staying centred in the lane even though curves. In cases where lane markings were missing or unclear, the system did get a bit confused but that’s why it forces you to keep hands on the steering wheel. It did a good job of staying centred while allowing me to nudge it to one side of a lane when I wanted. Essentially I treated it as if I were still steering, but I didn’t need to be hyper focused on staying centred in the lane, just watching traffic ahead and making sure the car isn’t doing anything dumb. Overall, I found it to be less tiring than fully manual steering over long drives.
Old 11-11-2021 | 03:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think this is a very important point that many people miss. And if one retains a vehicle with an ICE in it for road trips, having an EV for driving within the charge range of home on a daily basis makes all the sense in the world.

Glad that you're still among the living. I personally would never use any auto-steer feature in any car. ACC, sure, but steering will always be by me; I don't trust any software to steer properly with all the complicated messes on our roadways.
You must have never used the system.

LOL - that’s cool.

Exactly. I actually trust Auto Steer in the Tesla much more than the Active Cruise portion. Last time I used Porsche's Active Cruise it was WAY smoother than that in the Tesla. The Auto Steer system is excellent in keeping lanes on the highway.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-11-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2021 | 04:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Today - I woke up and decided to go on a spontaneous 2,000 mile road trip - the first time in my whole life I was going to do such a thing. but as I was about to get in the car, I spontaneously decided it wasn't a good idea as I hadn't told my wife or my kids or the office or my doctor, so I spontaneously went to Starbucks instead and came home with a Latte before she woke up. I was just thinking that if I had my Taycan - I wouldnt have been able to do the trip very conveniently anyways. Phew - close call - All's well that ends well. Just had to share.

Quick Reply: I may have been wrong about the Taycan