Sponsored by:

992 vs Taycan Q1 2021 sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
Having a fast electric car seems very exciting at first, but I found it was all over too soon.

Having done 140,000 miles in Tesla Model "S"'s, the elephant in the room with the Taycan (similar) is that you cannot actually go anywhere in it, apart from back to base!

Charging en-route is time consuming at best. I had some horror stories in the Model S with a decent charging infrastructure.230 miles is the effective range of a tonne of lithium batteries. Not 300 or 400 miles.

That means you start thinking about charging when you have completed 170 miles in a large battery Model S.

If you are going somewhere and coming back again the same day, it had better not be more than 100 miles away from base otherwise you really need to plan charging.

I dread to think what a long journey in a Taycan would be like,even compared to a Model S with a decent charging network.

For that reason the Panamera has a very large advantage. You can go places.

The 992 and the Taycan are not comparable, so why compare them? Tracking a Taycan for a few hours in the way you can track a 992 would be a joke. The tyres, brakes and suspension bushes wold wear out and the battery would probably overheat. It would be so expensive.

I have one client who bought a pair of Taycans last year. We had a meeting out of town last week and he turned up in his Range Rover.

I love the idea of not polluting the environment, however with many of these electric cars, the pollution costs are front loaded in the extra energy used in their construction and the coal burnt to produce the electricity.
This is absolutely my experience. Just sold my 2014 Model S, as even with Tesla’s charging network it became too difficult to go anywhere because of the crowds at the superchargers. With no charging infrastructure the Taycan is only useful as a commuter car in town. For example I was at the Porsche dealer in Scottsdale looking at one in the showroom, asked the SA how do I get to Vegas in the Taycan - responded you can’t.

Line at Kingman, AZ supercharger on July 5th - crazy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark S:
mikey94025 (07-20-2021), Tupper (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S
This is absolutely my experience. Just sold my 2014 Model S, as even with Tesla’s charging network it became too difficult to go anywhere because of the crowds at the superchargers. With no charging infrastructure the Taycan is only useful as a commuter car in town. For example I was at the Porsche dealer in Scottsdale looking at one in the showroom, asked the SA how do I get to Vegas in the Taycan - responded you can’t.

wow - that's nuts. complete opposite experience in the northeast. we have done thousands of miles of road trips - mostly along the eastern seaboard, without any range anxiety or issues. there are tons of superchargers with substantial capacity all over the place here.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:23 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Yeah my bother in law says the same thing about the northeast. The superchargers are packed in AZ, CA and Nevada. The superchargers in Vegas proper are unusable because of all the Tesla’s used as Taxis/Uber. Most of the strip hotels have destination chargers that will give you 30 watts, but those are always full plus you will need a good 10 hours on them. If you hang out at the destination charges around checkout you might get lucky. Not worth the hassle or effort. It was all fine before the Model 3 and Y.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:35 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 118 Posts

My local dealer has a bunch of Taycans that nobody seems to want but ZERO 911s. People can’t get an allocation for 911S yet no issues with ordering a Taycan.

All these automakers are forced to push this EV garbage to make themselves look good.

Last edited by R N M; 07-20-2021 at 02:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by R N M:
dhirm5 (07-20-2021), phaser (07-20-2021), timjab (07-20-2021), Tupper (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:24 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
My local dealer has a bunch of Taycans that nobody seems to want but ZERO 911s. People can’t get an allocation for 911S yet no issues with ordering a Taycan.

All these automakers are forced to push this EV garbage to make themselves look good.

The know it alls, one in particular, who call BS'er on anybody who says there are lease deals on Taycans can suck on this one.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:34 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I have no issue with road trips in my Taycan. EA network may not be as large as Tesla SC but there are enough to get me coast-to-coast. EA is expanding and I hope they do it correct to avoid potential long lines like in CA/AZ.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/
Old 07-20-2021, 04:26 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

You could tell me that they've sold that many in LA alone and it wouldn't be that shocking... lol... I see 20+ per day on the road on the west side... insane how quickly they've proliferated the market...
Old 07-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 658 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
honestly, i call shenanigans on all these glowing taycan sales reports. every porsche dealership i drive by is a sea of taycans. the numbers must be sales to dealers.
I'm pretty sure all legacy automakers who have dealerships report their sales numbers as sales to dealerships, not end users. Only automakers that have direct sales would have their numbers reflect end user sales (since there is no dealership). With that said, I've read that days on lots is relatively low due to limited inventory due to parts shortages.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I have no issue with road trips in my Taycan. EA network may not be as large as Tesla SC but there are enough to get me coast-to-coast. EA is expanding and I hope they do it correct to avoid potential long lines like in CA/AZ.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/
I agree, I hope we get there. Maybe 5 to 10 years from now.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:14 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

I can't imagine having to deal with this kind of nonsense.
I'll be home taking a jump by the time these poor chumps get their "recharge". Get real.

Last edited by phaser; 07-20-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
The know it alls, one in particular, who call BS'er on anybody who says there are lease deals on Taycans can suck on this one.
Again you are missing it. I never said their aren't lease deals out there on the Taycan. I'm sure there are deals at dealerships in regions where the Taycan is not popular. But in the places where the Taycan is popular there will be no deals. You even said so yourself.

Monthly lease rates on any car can differ wildly from one dealer to another and from one region to another.
And not nitpick but this $799.00 per month "deal" is really no deal. $21k is due at signing which make the actually cost per month around $1300. Most lease experts say $125 per $10,000 of car value is good deal. The base Taycan is only a $90k car. That makes it not a good deal at all.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-20-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:41 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I have both a 992 C4S and Mustang Mach E GT Performance coming in the fall. I'll keep the Mach E charged using solar panels on my house. It'll be the car we use for around town errands, heading to LA for dinner, picking friends up at the airport, etc. We'll use the 992 for longer trips to in-state destinations like Santa Barbara and San Diego and visits to our daughter in Oregon. Being retired and not having kids to cart around, it's the best of both worlds for us.
Mark S (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:45 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I have both a 992 C4S and Mustang Mach E GT Performance coming in the fall. I'll keep the Mach E charged using solar panels on my house. It'll be the car we use for around town errands, heading to LA for dinner, picking friends up at the airport, etc. We'll use the 992 for longer trips to in-state destinations like Santa Barbara and San Diego and visits to our daughter in Oregon. Being retired and not having kids to cart around, it's the best of both worlds for us.
good luck w dealing w ford. i tried. i wanted the new bronco. was utterly turned off by the dealership experience. i had forgotten what it feels like dealing with ... mainstream dealerships.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:28 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
good luck w dealing w ford. i tried. i wanted the new bronco. was utterly turned off by the dealership experience. i had forgotten what it feels like dealing with ... mainstream dealerships.
I had a Land Cruiser a few years ago which was the first "mainstream" car I'd owned in awhile. The dealership was like a train station and the service advisors were both arrogant and ignorant. Not a great combination. The sales staff used cheeseball high pressure tactics and one liners. The whole experience was low rent and gross.

dhirm5 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 06:32 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

I can't imagine having to deal with kind of nonsense.
I'll be home taking a jump by the time these poor chumps get their "recharge". Get real.
Turns 4 hour drive into 7.
politeperson (07-21-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 vs Taycan Q1 2021 sales