Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
Would you guys buy a car that wasn't XPEL'd from day 1 and had a few minor chips on the hood and front bumper? I mean they don't bother me personally, but just curious for resale purposes down the road. I always XPEL every car I get from day 1... so I thought it was weird. The one I was looking at has this issue, along with a very small scrape on the front fascia that was touched up.

Yay or nay? I want the car but I also don't want something I can't sell down the road because people are picky. I would be doing a full xpel ($5k) on delivery to prevent more. Was thinking of using some small little porsche touch up paint before putting the film on as well. This car has 8k miles and they're asking about $3500 over sticker, CPO, 1 owner. Guards red, 18 ways (don't want buckets anyway), bose.
No way anyone but you can answer this question. I could care less about a few rock chips on the front of the car and would never PFF a car. Some people swear by it. Only you can decide if it's important to you.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Good to know. And agreed. Just helps get a general concencus on it to make sure I'm not entirely out of line thinking it's not a huge issue.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:08 PM
guab
Pro

And deposit placed! Looks like I'll be joining all you fellow spyder owners!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

We want pictures
Old 07-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Actually I don't mind my 981 Spyder value eventually depreciating. I think it's kind of cool that it has held the value so far. However this is the first car I've owned where I thought I never want to get rid of it because it's so much fun. So what do I care if the value drops to $25? I'd be more concerned if the value doubled because then I'd be scared to drive it and miss the fun.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

The small chips (there aren't any of a larger size) can be touched up at least with a micro needle and no one will know they were ever there. So I don't really count those. I suppose paying $1800 (never seen it for under $1700 before) for xpel ultimate for full front and quarter bumpers/sills would be a better route to go. As such, I would have essentially perfect paint that would never get damaged moving forward. none of the 3 spyders I've checked out have had clear bra.

The hang up I'm having is the scrape on the lower front fascia that's apparently only an inch or two long and you have to be laying down on the ground to see it. Not sure how I feel about that one. I can't see it, so I suppose I shouldn't care right?

If I can get the car for sticker ($96k), I feel like I'm getting a decent deal for an 8k mile CPO'd guards red spyder. Perhaps others would disagree. There's just so few of these things that come up and all of them lately have been over sticker regardless of the mileage (the other one listed is asking above sticker and it has 6k more miles and no xpel either, but is private party and also CPO , so no taxes there which is nice).
ALL OF THEM will have some scrap underneath.. no front lift and relatively low car makes it inevitable. That should not be a concern. Good luck with your search. #friendsdontletfriendsbuySpyderswithoutLWB
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

The hang up I'm having is the scrape on the lower front fascia that's apparently only an inch or two long and you have to be laying down on the ground to see it. Not sure how I feel about that one. I can't see it, so I suppose I shouldn't care right?
Less than $250 for the lip. Not a huge deal. Not worth the hang up.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUSPY981LIP.html

And deposit placed! Looks like I'll be joining all you fellow spyder owners!
Congrats! Welcome to mid-engine heaven
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Less than $250 for the lip. Not a huge deal. Not worth the hang up.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUSPY981LIP.html

Congrats! Welcome to mid-engine heaven
Thanks !

The scrape was on where the lip meets the paint. They replaced the lip thankfully but there's like an inch scrape on the paint. It's only visible if you lay down in front of the car. Not a big deal.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

They replaced the lip thankfully but there's like an inch scrape on the paint. It's only visible if you lay down in front of the car. Not a big deal.
My car is still pristine underneath, but most owners are not as '****' as me. The BGTS I bought for my brother, with only 6K miles, was scraped to hell underneath (also X73). Unfortunately, if you want a pristine car underneath, you would probably not find any. That's why I always buy new, but as long as it's not visible it shouldn't be a big deal indeed. What I wouldn't pass is wear on the seats, but unfortunately, most will have that as well (my brother does, but not too bad). I keep my aging body to become even less flexible by levering myself in and out of cars, so zero wear on any of my cars. Whoever buys my CGTS when the time comes will be a lucky SOB. Ha ha. Good luck man.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Not one scratch underneath. Purchased with 4000'miles. Previous owner left two car covers one indoor and outdoor and Porsche rubber mats, and xpel full front. Got very lucky.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Will you just look at the lines on this car.

Seriously, has Porsche made a better looking car in the last 30 years?

Porsche has its work cut out for it with the 982 Spyder. If the design guys can top the 981, God bless 'em.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:57 AM
guab
Pro

I'm really just looking for a car that's :

A) the most engaging car to drive in the P car lineup
B) drop top
C) will hold it's value better than other drop tops in the P car lineup.

I could apply this to any other car brand, limit price to $100k, and I think the Spyder wins every time.

I had an M4 convertible and it was so-so. Could not get passed the lack of steering feel (steering felt great in the 991.1 and 991.2!) and terrible exhaust note especially at or above 5000 rpm (which was made worse with an aftermarket exhaust). Also, the power band completely falls on its face nearly 1000 rpm before redline... that drove me bonkers. 0-60 was 4.5 seconds, weighed 4100 lb, and TC still kicked on like crazy. With top down you got cowl shake (quite a bit)... with spacers it was terribly worse too. So I think it's fair to say the Spyder is faster to 60 than my M4 vert, surely faster around a track (will never track it though), and once tuned/exhaust is on, even more so. Also, the exhaust note on the Spyder, even in stock form with PSE is awesome!

Prior to the M4 I had a 997.2 Turbo S. Couldn't deal with the PDK. Did not like the understeer/turn-in. Sounded great with a catless x-pipe though, and was bonkers fast. PCCB was awesome. But it wasn't engaging at the end of the day. Kept it 6 months. I would take a manual M4 over it still... might take the 991 TTS over the M4 though... new PDK and car in general is a big upgrade, esp. rear steering. Significantly out of my preferred price range though, and probably still not as engaging as the Spyder anyway.

Maverick, sounds like you got lucky I'll snap pictures once I get the car for everyone. I'm having the dealer do the full xpel front end treatment where they also touch up the few small chips that are on hood/bumper. The scrape as I said was on the front bottom of the painted portion of the front facia. You have to lay down to see it. It's only an inch or so and has been touched up. I'm sure I can live with it. They also put on a brand new chin spoiler (the black oem one), and it's certified.

Last edited by guab; 07-14-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 AM
guab
Pro

Hoping it will be in my garage in a month or less. Takes some time to get xpel done and shipped across the US.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Hoping it will be in my garage in a month or less. Takes some time to get xpel done and shipped across the US.

Love it .....great is that carmine red? Enjoy in good health, and safely. The Spyder for me is fast enough, and not some high speed barn burner but a fun driver. The viceral feeling is fantastic, and complements the car while having great looks. My M4 vert is faster by far, I have the 2015 turbo version but I hate the sound and feel so it has to go. The RS is my hell raiser when I have the speed rush
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

By the way have the dealer change out the orange markers in the front. Thery have always done as a courtesy for me with clears.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...