Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Maverick787,
Does this count? It's a photo of the day I had XPEL put on. Had to leave it in the sun for a few hours. Don't mind the white towels on the seats.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco

Hey Maverick787,
Does this count? It's a photo of the day I had XPEL put on. Had to leave it in the sun for a few hours. Don't mind the white towels on the seats.
. Nice car I was just kidding about show it. Now get some clears, and toss the orange turn signals. Enjoy in good health.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks beautiful!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Last, it's fun driving a car that very few people have. I expected more in So Cal but I guess I am one of the lucky ones!
DB, I keep thinking I'm going to run into you one of these times when I'm driving back around Santiago, but no luck so far. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, I think you said in a prior post that you live out near RSM. Hope to meet up with you at some point. Also hope you can join in on the next So Cal Spyder drive.

Great looking Spyder!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:28 AM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
DB, I keep thinking I'm going to run into you one of these times when I'm driving back around Santiago, but no luck so far. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, I think you said in a prior post that you live out near RSM. Hope to meet up with you at some point. Also hope you can join in on the next So Cal Spyder drive.

Great looking Spyder!
SJ, you're not confusing me. My rides on Santiago Canyon are fairly random but mostly weekends. In 15 months I only put 3700 miles on my car and only drive it every 2 or 3 weeks due to kids' activities and my other passion (golf). I am in Irvine so I typically start on this side of the canyon and turn at Cooks Corner (revving the engine by the motorcycle crowd). Would love to join the Spyder drive. I think I missed the last one due to travel.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Hey Maverick787,
Sharp!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's an even better deal! Thanks!
Thanks for the tip used the product on the Spyder it looks like glass, and paint is very smooth! Easy in and easy off.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

The used 981 Spyder prices are ridiculous. This is a great car, but c'mon, it is a Boxster. Looks, sound, and engine are great, but it's somewhat watered down. The top, while fairly convenient is a let down. The 987's affair, while complex, is far more functional and would be so much better.

It's strange because many of them were lingering in the lots June last year. I had a deposit on one with 3% below MSRP. When I backed out, dealer offered 5% below. Another one sold just days earlier for 7% MSRP.

I think - and hope - that when the next gen comes out the prices will crater
Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

^Its amazing that even with all the flaws you've identified, few owners want to sell, creating the supply demand situation you are facing. :-)

Seriously, I think the difference might be that last June, the car wasn't discovered. Now that people have had a chance to drive and own them for a while, nobody wants to get rid of it. I've owned a bunch of Porsche's over the past 30 years. This is the first one I've owned that I want to will to my heirs.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I see them as design elements that serve to have the Boxster Spyder differentiate itself ... from other cars ...
Old 08-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
^Its amazing that even with all the flaws you've identified, few owners want to sell, creating the supply demand situation you are facing. :-)

Seriously, I think the difference might be that last June, the car wasn't discovered. Now that people have had a chance to drive and own them for a while, nobody wants to get rid of it. I've owned a bunch of Porsche's over the past 30 years. This is the first one I've owned that I want to will to my heirs.
I don't think it's necessarily a discovery issue, as much as it is the fact that we're in a lull right now from the standpoint of the release of new Porsche GT/special cars, coupled with the transition from NA to turbo.

When the Spyder was launched in 2016, Porsche was also selling GT4s, GT3s, GT3 RS's and naturally aspirated 981's. Today, there are none of those being sold new, the 981 has become the turbo 718, and the feeding frenzy of the new GT3 has everyone worrying they might not get one. And it's summer.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Agree with you fully, I had no idea what a Spyder was until I saw one a few months ago. I did some research, and thanks for RL I read all the reviews "all of them". I test drove the car for two miles, and said I will take take it. I have never put the top up nor will I because it's made to be topless. If it rains I will pull out the rain cars ....Spyder and RS will stay out, and I have no plans to sell either. I'm not a chaser of the new model just because it's new, and honestly not sure how much better try new car would be Spyder it RS? By the way I don't car about HP it's driver feel and sound for me of course killer looks.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I see them as design elements that serve to have the Boxster Spyder differentiate itself ... from other cars ...
I want to see your guards red 2011 and 2016 Spyders side by side, rare color to see on spyders
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Please get bored with your car, mmkay?

I know I would not want to sell it, and especially not that quickly.

Anyway, I really hope the next Spyder will be N/A as rumored. I think I'll order new one the way I want it. Or, if 981 prices get depressed, I will go for a gently used one...
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ns-x-post.html

I'll reluctantly contribute to the supply-side

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...