Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
That car looks well used to be asking over. Might be a good idea for that dealer to clean the car up a bit before snapping pics. The condition of the interior of that car wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies about how it was treated.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I will briefly interrupt my 'sabbatical' from Rennlist to help you get un-confused.
Indeed 'Carrera Red' carpeting was standard with a 'Carrera Red' leather interior
on the 987 Spyder. Some of us opted for a simple option known as 'Carpeting in
Deviating Color' to get 'Black' carpeting on our 'Carrera Red' Spyder interiors. Its
cost was only $710. And it was available to anyone (dealer or customer) simply
if they asked for it on their order!
Thanks, Eduardo! Hated to interrupt your sabbatical, but thanks for the clarification. So there WAS a deviated carpet option
on the 987 - - that explains it.

Consider me officially "un-confused."
Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That car looks well used to be asking over. Might be a good idea for that dealer to clean the car up a bit before snapping pics. The condition of the interior of that car wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies about how it was treated.
Hard for me to see on mobile here. Are you referring to the driver bolster wear and the driver door sill? Anything else specifically ?

It's not xpel'd either and has a rock chip on the front bumper.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Hard for me to see on mobile here. Are you referring to the driver bolster wear and the driver door sill? Anything else specifically ?

It's not xpel'd either and has a rock chip on the front bumper.
Whole interior just looks really dirty, scuffs on the door sill, leather on door looks like it's spent some time in the sun. IMO, you can tell a lot about how someone treated their car by looking closely at the interior. This looks like someone treated it like a simple daily driver. Mileage would imply that as well. IMO, Spyders like this should be priced $5k under sticker, not $5k over, but that's just me.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM
guab
Pro

Whole interior just looks really dirty, scuffs on the door sill, leather on door looks like it's spent some time in the sun. IMO, you can tell a lot about how someone treated their car by looking closely at the interior. This looks like someone treated it like a simple daily driver. Mileage would imply that as well. IMO, Spyders like this should be priced $5k under sticker, not $5k over, but that's just me.
Looks like they cleaned it up a lot on the auto trader pictures but can't see bolster or sills very well. http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...ngId=459076238

My opinion is that if any normal wear and tear is 100% restored to new condition then a tad closer to sticker assuming it's certified is fair.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Make sure you get a DME report and check for overrevs.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:06 PM
guab
Pro

Make sure you get a DME report and check for overrevs.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM
guab
Pro

Sport exhaust, Sport Chrono, and PASM are standard on this car right? I assume this car does not sit as low as an SPASM car?

DME looks clean no? If they reconditioned the car and it's mint I think a fair price is around sticker.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Sport exhaust, Sport Chrono, and PASM are standard on this car right? I assume this car does not sit as low as an SPASM car?

DME looks clean no? If they reconditioned the car and it's mint I think a fair price is around sticker.
No, Spyder has the latest version of the X73 suspension. Non adjustable. Ride height is similar to a SPASM car, compliance is about midway between the Comfort and Sport settings on a SPASM car. The X73 in the Spyder is better and more compliant than the X73 that was in the regular 981 Caymans. I had an X73 Cayman and a SPASM PDCC Carrera at the same time I had the Spyder. Spyder had the best suspension.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM
guab
Pro

No, Spyder has the latest version of the X73 suspension. Non adjustable. Ride height is similar to a SPASM car, compliance is about midway between the Comfort and Sport settings on a SPASM car. The X73 in the Spyder is better and more compliant than the X73 that was in the regular 981 Caymans. I had an X73 Cayman and a SPASM PDCC Carrera at the same time I had the Spyder. Spyder had the best suspension.
No axle lift option added... everyone I've talked to with a SPASM 991.2 (20mm lower than PASM cars) states it drags on everything. Is this then the case with the 981 Spyder as well?

Assume Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust are standard though from what I'm seeing on the 981 Spyder.

edit: thank you for all your help btw!!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Are the LWB's a necessity on the 981? I thought they weren't. I found the car I want, but it's missing LWB. Everything else is utter perfection. It's priced 2-3% above sticker (dealer, so it's CPO). It's in that 4-8k mile range (higher end). Thoughts on fair price? Any other options I should consider a requirement? There's no bad color combo on this car right?

I'm nervous about falling GT3 pricing pushing down the Spyder pricing, but honestly, I just don't see that happening. The next 718 Spyder will indeed be NA, too. Confirmed from Porsche already. The GT cars from Porsche keep getting optioned higher and higher, which helps inflate older hard to get P cars.

Also, how hard and expensive is it to get the OEM LWBs for the 981 if the car doesn't have it? $15k? Are they really that good over the base seats? I thought they don't really adjust much, and on longer trips, that would be frustrating.
IMO LWB not "necessity" on the 981 Spyder. Plan was not for hardcore, lightweight open air roadster like the 987.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
IMO LWB not "necessity" on the 981 Spyder. Plan was not for hardcore, lightweight open air roadster like the 987.
Yea.. but LWB look so good on this car
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^^^^
Agree!
And your seat inserts turn it up a few notches
Well done
Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

No axle lift option added... everyone I've talked to with a SPASM 991.2 (20mm lower than PASM cars) states it drags on everything. Is this then the case with the 981 Spyder as well?

Assume Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust are standard though from what I'm seeing on the 981 Spyder.

edit: thank you for all your help btw!!
I have a SPASM Carrera and have only scraped it one time, on a really steep parking lot exit when I simply wasn't paying attention. Just have to be careful. Same thing with the Spyder. I only owned mine for a short time (~1,100 miles) but only scraped the sacrificial lip once, leaving the steep driveway of the gas station at Pebble Beach and not paying attention. If I didn't have my head up my keister, I'd never have scraped the Spyder. Don't think a FAL is needed on the car if you're careful.

SC and PSE are standard.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

LWB definitely look way better than the sofas, but they don't fit everyone. I would love to love them, but I just don't fit them and could never own a car with them. Wish I could.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...