Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Yeah I noticed the 987 Spyder inventory is also nearly depleted. Just one MT with Bucket car available currently. Only downside to that car is that it originally didn't have the Spyder wheels, otherwise it looks properly optioned.
yes, 9 for sale on autotrader, 4 are PDK, my car is the only manual and bucket seat one for sale. Mine did come with sport design wheels, but I changed to the lightweight spyder wheels. I wanted red interior, buckets and 6 speed manual so changing the wheels was the easy part, as well as adding the sport exhaust. Only selling due to having a second PTS Spyder (not for sale)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=BOXSTE
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The Yellow Spyder is a long term keeper. Having a PTS Stripper with all the right options is beyond needle in a haystack. When these cars finally get discovered and or when the people who covet them can finally afford them I think this one will be at the top.

My last comment regarding the people who covet them is based upon what I see at car shows when my car is actually stopped in one place long enough for people to look at it. I have found that the car attracts a younger crowd primarily in their 20's and early 30's and nearly all of them know the car and its mission. They're usually there to point out to others how the top works and the flowing rear lines. This age group is just getting started in life with the big housing purchase and having kids. In about 10 years they'll have some extra $$ and that's when we'll see the Spyders really climb in value. That's my prediction anyway.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I've said this before, but I'm really not interested in attention, especially if it relates to value/perceived wealth or anything even remotely financially related. However, I've never had a car which gets this level of genuine friendly comments from people anytime it's parked or I'm driving. Everyone says, "man, that is so beautiful".. that DOES make me happy and I have to agree. Something really special about the design
Old 07-04-2017, 03:50 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

My last comment regarding the people who covet them is based upon what I see at car shows when my car is actually stopped in one place long enough for people to look at it. I have found that the car attracts a younger crowd primarily in their 20's and early 30's and nearly all of them know the car and its mission. They're usually there to point out to others how the top works and the flowing rear lines. This age group is just getting started in life with the big housing purchase and having kids. In about 10 years they'll have some extra $$ and that's when we'll see the Spyders really climb in value. That's my prediction anyway.
I wanted to say the same thing There is a future secondary market taking shape now.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I've said this before, but I'm really not interested in attention, especially if it relates to value/perceived wealth or anything even remotely financially related. However, I've never had a car which gets this level of genuine friendly comments from people anytime it's parked or I'm driving. Everyone says, "man, that is so beautiful".. that DOES make me happy and I have to agree. Something really special about the design
Yep, I've heard people say to me it's the MOST BEAUTIFUL car they have ever seen, which I at first thought was hyperbole, but who am I to argue. I don't like attention either, but this isn't about exchange value imho it's about aesthetic value and the 5 senses that shape the human experience. lol.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:06 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvmax
yes, 9 for sale on autotrader, 4 are PDK, my car is the only manual and bucket seat one for sale. Mine did come with sport design wheels, but I changed to the lightweight spyder wheels. I wanted red interior, buckets and 6 speed manual so changing the wheels was the easy part, as well as adding the sport exhaust. Only selling due to having a second PTS Spyder (not for sale)

I have to repost these beautiful pics. Great find! I used to follow the 987 Spyder market before the 981 but now I'm going to have to start looking again for a beauty like yours.
Manual - Buckets / and luckily I have Afshin and this reenlist forum for any questions!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Default Black Spyder

Not sure who owns this it's badd!
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2017, 04:38 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeus993
There's something I just can't get by head around up here in Canada. Every Gen 2 981 Spyder that is currently on the used marketing is being offered in the range of $134,500 - $139,900 CND ($101,695 - 105,778 USD) which is significantly over MRSP.

When the Gen 2 Spyder came out, with MRSP in the range of $105 - $110K, the Gen 1 987.2 Spyders were selling in the range of $65K. So OK. That delta makes sense, the Gen 2 981 having the larger engine etc...

But what is going to happen when the Gen 3 982 Spyder comes out (and we all know it will)? How are they going to price it? ABOVE what the used Gen 2's are selling for? Then means then a $150 + starting price for a Gen 3.

Furthermore, if one bought one of the used Gen 2's here, let's say for $135K CND, then what will happen on trade in if the Gen 3 comes in lower?

And you know what this means for the Gen 1? It continues it's run as the best bang for your buck Spyder!

Crazy. Thoughts anyone?
I put mine for sale for 130,000$CND this morning at 11:30am and it was sold by 2:00pm ! I should have read this thread before... I guess I could have sold it for a little more.

I unfortunately drive it only on the highway to get to work so I thought that it deserved a better owner.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
I put mine for sale for 130,000$CND this morning at 11:30am and it was sold by 2:00pm ! I should have read this thread before... I guess I could have sold it for a little more. I unfortunately drive it only on the highway to get to work so I thought that it deserved a better owner.
That describes my use of the Spyder for the most part. There just aren't many options in the congested roads of central Florida. Not good enough reason to sell the best car I've ever owned. Sorry to hear of your loss. :-)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Not sure who owns this it's badd!
See, I'll buy that one...
Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
That describes my use of the Spyder for the most part. There just aren't many options in the congested roads of central Florida. Not good enough reason to sell the best car I've ever owned. Sorry to hear of your loss. :-)
The best street car that I owned also. The thing is that every time I want to hit the road for the fun of it, I prefer to ride either one of my 2 motorcycles !

Last edited by GT3 Techno; 07-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

so i went to look at prices and most are "ASKING" above MSRP for low mileage even with LWB, or at MSRP even with high miles (8-14k). Then there is one weird outlier in Miami which calls the car a "boxster" and is asking $76k. Has anyone in the market (archimedes) checked this one out?.. either the dude is really dumb, or he's just trying to get rid of it (also dumb).. but for ready and able buyer.. this is the steal of a lifetime.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

so i went to look at prices and most are "ASKING" above MSRP for low mileage even with LWB, or at MSRP even with high miles (8-14k). Then there is one weird outlier in Miami which calls the car a "boxster" and is asking $76k. Has anyone in the market (archimedes) checked this one out?.. either the dude is really dumb, or he's just trying to get rid of it (also dumb).. but for ready and able buyer.. this is the steal of a lifetime.

NO A/C. Cant give away a Black car without a/c in south florida. Makes no sense as it has NAV and 18 way seats
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that car had damage history
Old 07-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

That car has been there awhile, and paint looks pretty beat up from what at can see. Also I preferred to get a car CPO'd, and the 100,000 warranty expires in 2022 for piece of mind. Would be interested to know what was the MSRP on this car would tell more of a story of why it's the only car selling under?

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...