Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
This is a great car, but c'mon, it is a Boxster.
You say it's a Boxster, as if that's a bad thing! For many of us, a lightweight mid-engine platform and the balance that comes along with it is much preferred over a heavier car having much of its weight hanging off the back end.

Looks, sound, and engine are great, but it's somewhat watered down. The top, while fairly convenient is a let down.
I'm not sure how anyone can characterize the 981 Spyder as "watered down." If you do so based solely on the top, which does have electronic assist but is otherwise still a manual affair, you’re really missing the boat. In so many ways the 981 Spyder is the exact opposite of “watered down” when you consider:
  • For 20 years Porsche resisted giving the Boxster 911-power. Then the 981 Spyder comes along and Porsche drops in the engine not from a base 911, but from the Carrera S. That's a pretty huge deal and not an exaggeration to even call it historic. And then for good measure they added the quicker steering rack from the 911 Turbo and the larger brakes from the Carrera S. In contrast, the 987 Spyder soldiered on with the same brakes from the Boxster S as I recall. Certainly the words "watered down" don't come to mind in describing the 981 Spyder in this historical context.
  • Sport Exhaust, Short Shifter and Sport Chrono were all standard performance options bundled into the base price of the 981 Spyder. They weren't additional expense, a la carte options, like they were on the 987 Spyder. In fact, there were NO performance options on the 981 Spyder whatsoever because they were all baked into the base car. A "watered down" car generally doesn't come with highly sought after performance options included as standard.
  • The 981 Spyder shares it's engine and to a huge extent its underpinnings with the GT4, probably the most universally heralded bang-for-the buck sports car in recent history. Not a bad thing, right? And certainly in another league by way of comparison to the 987 Spyder, which didn't come close in spec to any GT offering at the time. Because GT cars are as far from "watered down" as you can get, the Spyder's many similarities to the GT4 render this description inaccurate.
  • The 987 Spyder had only 10 hp more than the 987 Boxster S at the time. In contrast, the 981 Spyder had a healthy 45 hp bump over the 981 Boxster S. Significant power increases don't generally equate to a "watered down" car.
  • The LWBs in the 981 Spyder came right out of the 918 supercar, which no one has ever accused of being "watered down."
  • The curb weight of the 981 Spyder is only 88 lbs. heavier than the 987 Spyder, this despite the former having the larger 3.8 litre engine, larger brakes, larger wheels, electronically raised rear spoiler, electronic top assist, etc., etc. How Porsche was able to keep the difference in weight between the two cars marginal given all these additional features found on the 981 Spyder is remarkable. And then when you factor in the 987 top only weighs 13 lbs. and thus has a huge weight advantage in this one area, it makes the small difference in weight between the cars even more shocking. Bloat is something that plagues "watered down" cars, but bloat is remarkably absent in the 981 Spyder.
  • Due to the 981’s drastic diet combined with its notable power increase, its power to weight ratio dips down to 7.7 lbs./bhp compared to 8.7 lbs./bhp for the 987 Spyder. Thus, there's more horsepower dragging around less weight with the 981, which is not exactly the formula for a "watered down" car.
  • "Watered down" cars are usually slower than the ones they replace, but in this case the 981's top speed and 0-60 time are notably improved.

"Watered down" is defined as "altered so as to be weaker in force, content or value." There's no way that term applies to the 981 Spyder and focusing solely on the roof to the exclusion of all these other factors and features noted above is myopic. While I love the 987 roof, let's give the 981 roof its due: It's tight as a drum and waterproof as all get-out. It uses high quality materials throughout. It's great looking, easier to raise and lower, and secure/speed rated all the way up to 180 mph with no fear of it flying off. Call the roof "watered down" if you want, but these aren't necessarily bad qualities in the eyes of many.

I think - and hope - that when the next gen comes out the prices will crater
987 Spyder prices certainly didn't "crater" when the 981 Spyder came out and I see no reason for 981 prices to do so when the 982 comes out. Plus, the new Spyder is still some time off and one can only speculate what it will cost, although it's bound to be notably higher, which will obviously bode well for the 981's value retention. If the 982 doesn't hit it out of the park, who knows, maybe 981 prices will actually increase.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Instead of dismissing or attempting to explain high Spyder prices as being due to market anomalies, seasonality, alternative model availability, latent discovery, irrational exuberance, or some other factor(s), we should consider a very simple explanation: Maybe the prices we're seeing has something to do with how very special the car is and how it is perceived as a good value, perhaps not by a few but certainly by the vast majority. Leave room for the possibility the market has it right.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

^^^^^Spot on, and for me and me only for the price point and for a weekend car. What other car fits the bill for the offerings at 100k? Convertible is key by the way .......... with killer looks??
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On point Suicide J !
Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Right now, used 2016 991 911S are being valued a little lower than 2016 981 Spyder's which is nice to see happening so soon. I say this because I've always admired the 2016 N/A 911s with the body kits.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:38 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

After seeing my Guards Red 981 Spyder in person for the first time, I knew immediately that I made the right decision. It might be part of the Boxster family, but it's so much more. The humps in the back really give it an exotic look -- and it's probably the best looking convertible I've ever seen with the roof up. It's tiny too -- way smaller than I imagined.

Haven't had enough seat time to comment much yet because I didn't have a chance to put a plate on it yet. But damn, just on looks alone I can see why people want it. I'll probably do sport headers and tune though.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

The used 981 Spyder prices are ridiculous. This is a great car, but c'mon, it is a Boxster. Looks, sound, and engine are great, but it's somewhat watered down. The top, while fairly convenient is a let down. The 987's affair, while complex, is far more functional and would be so much better.

It's strange because many of them were lingering in the lots June last year. I had a deposit on one with 3% below MSRP. When I backed out, dealer offered 5% below. Another one sold just days earlier for 7% MSRP.

I think - and hope - that when the next gen comes out the prices will crater
Old news lol. You were lucky. 7% off for a car on the lot was about as good as it got back in 15-16. I suspect that Most paid MSRP and many had an allocation and thus a lot of cars were made to order probably making it harder for owners like me to part with the car. Not only that but they number in the hundreds and are thus actually rare. Just my 2cent.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
After seeing my Guards Red 981 Spyder in person for the first time, I knew immediately that I made the right decision. It might be part of the Boxster family, but it's so much more. The humps in the back really give it an exotic look -- and it's probably the best looking convertible I've ever seen with the roof up. It's tiny too -- way smaller than I imagined.

Haven't had enough seat time to comment much yet because I didn't have a chance to put a plate on it yet. But damn, just on looks alone I can see why people want it. I'll probably do sport headers and tune though.
GREAT TO HEAR Congrats. Not a lot of GR Spyders!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 AM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Old news lol. You were lucky. 7% off for a car on the lot was about as good as it got back in 15-16. I suspect that Most paid MSRP and many had an allocation and thus a lot of cars were made to order probably making it harder for owners like me to part with the car. Not only that but they number in the hundreds and are thus actually rare. Just my 2cent.
I know, I know. I am just bit frustrated since I know I will have to pay up when I finally get around to buying one. Though I hope the next gen will open more choices. Might just buy new, hopefully.

I guess I am attracted to rare cars. Earlier this year bought a 2013 Caddy CTS-V manual wagon in Stealth Blue. Only 500 manual wagons ever made. My config is the rarest of them all, 1 of 2 made... And, yup, had to pay well for it...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 AM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Congrats. I was torn between a Guards Red and a White Spyder. In fact had a deposit on two Spyders, one red, one white last June... only to back out on both
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

I know, I know. I am just bit frustrated since I know I will have to pay up when I finally get around to buying one. Though I hope the next gen will open more choices. Might just buy new, hopefully.

I guess I am attracted to rare cars. Earlier this year bought a 2013 Caddy CTS-V manual wagon in Stealth Blue. Only 500 manual wagons ever made. My config is the rarest of them all, 1 of 2 made... And, yup, had to pay well for it...
Please post a pic of that stealth blue cts-v wagon!!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I really wonder how many of the ~600 981 Spyders in the US were Guards Red. I have seen ~30 or so Spyders come up on Ebay in the past year or so, and I've only seen two Guards Red ones. Most seem to option silver or white. Could be confirmation bias though.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I think very few ... for me it is a classic color combo ...
Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

After seeing my Guards Red 981 Spyder in person for the first time, I knew immediately that I made the right decision.
Congrats on finally taking delivery. I'm sure the wait was agonizing. Now make up for lost [seat] time

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
GREAT TO HEAR Congrats. Not a lot of GR Spyders!
I really wonder how many of the ~600 981 Spyders in the US were Guards Red.
Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I think very few ... for me it is a classic color combo ...
According to the Spyder Database there were approx. 830 Spyders made for North America with 58 of those being Guards Red.

Of the standard and optional colors offered on the Spyder, Guards is exceeded in rarity only by Saphire Blue Metallic (55), Agate Grey (42), Jet Black Metallic (40 cars), and Racing Yellow (28 cars).
Old 08-09-2017, 04:09 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvmax
Please post a pic of that stealth blue cts-v wagon!!
second that! also post with a synopsis of your new car. I'm interested too.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...