Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Gorgeous car - may I ask what was the cost new?

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Gorgeous car - may I ask what was the cost new?
Should be right around $100-101k U.S., give or take, based on that spec. Really good looking car.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Probably the wrong thread, but why is it raining GT4's for sale in the Marketplace forum?

And I agree that the 981 Spyder is one the most beautiful cars out there -- definitely the best looking modern Porsche.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Probably the wrong thread, but why is it raining GT4's for sale in the Marketplace forum?
Many owners are looking to get the new GT3.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Such special cars. (Pics "borrowed" from the worldwide spyder owners Facebook group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1640699196192340 )
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

so for those looking for a 1st gen Spyder, my white over red has been listed on Bring A Trailer:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/201...ster-spyder-4/
Attached Images    
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
so for those looking for a 1st gen Spyder, my white over red has been listed on Bring A Trailer:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/201...ster-spyder-4/
Wow that interior! I didn't know that on the 987 Classic package the carpeting was red also.. so much more exotic than on my 981. That color combo you have is really really nice. I can't say I would go white over gt silver if I bought another one.. but I'm saying I could/might/want to.

How can you bear to get rid of it?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Wow that interior! I didn't know that on the 987 Classic package the carpeting was red also.. so much more exotic than on my 981. That color combo you have is really really nice. I can't say I would go white over gt silver if I bought another one.. but I'm saying I could/might/want to.

This is torture!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

so for those looking for a 1st gen Spyder, my white over red has been listed on Bring A Trailer
Good luck! I'm late coming to Bring a Trailer having really only followed the site for the past 6 months or so, but it seems like a great venue for a car like this. Someone will be very lucky.

Wow that interior! I didn't know that on the 987 Classic package the carpeting was red also.. so much more exotic than on my 981.
There wasn't a "Spyder Classic Interior" option labeled as such on the 987 like the 981. Simply, red was offered as an interior color on the 987.

I originally thought that all 2011 Spyders w/red interiors came with red carpets and that in 2012 Porsche switched over to black carpets instead. However, one or more 2011 Spyder owners with red interiors debunked this notion by pointing out that they had black carpets in their cars. Thus, it's still unclear to me why/how some 987 Spyders with red interiors have black carpets and some have red. An obvious explanation would be that owners could select their own carpet color when ordering, but I don't think that was the case as a deviated carpet option was not offered on the 987 from what I understand (except perhaps as a special/expensive CXX option). So the mystery (at least to me) remains. Maybe at some point Porsche just decided to go with black carpets instead of red and it's as simple as that
Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Because I also have one of these
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
This is where I found my car that I purchased last week. There's a Blk on Blk that I wanted, and made an offer it was sold in PA. Got lucky a few few days later the gray one popped up with LWB, and perfect spec I went to the dealer when they opened with check in hand. It all worked out for the better spec.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Are the LWB's a necessity on the 981? I thought they weren't. I found the car I want, but it's missing LWB. Everything else is utter perfection. It's priced 2-3% above sticker (dealer, so it's CPO). It's in that 4-8k mile range (higher end). Thoughts on fair price? Any other options I should consider a requirement? There's no bad color combo on this car right?

I'm nervous about falling GT3 pricing pushing down the Spyder pricing, but honestly, I just don't see that happening. The next 718 Spyder will indeed be NA, too. Confirmed from Porsche already. The GT cars from Porsche keep getting optioned higher and higher, which helps inflate older hard to get P cars.

Also, how hard and expensive is it to get the OEM LWBs for the 981 if the car doesn't have it? $15k? Are they really that good over the base seats? I thought they don't really adjust much, and on longer trips, that would be frustrating.

Last edited by guab; 07-12-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 AM
guab
Pro

Because I also have one of these

FREAKING DROOL. Nice Rubi in the back w/ AEV Pintlers.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
Are the LWB's a necessity on the 981? I thought they weren't. I found the car I want, but it's missing LWB. Everything else is utter perfection. It's priced 2-3% above sticker (dealer, so it's CPO). It's in that 4-8k mile range (higher end). Thoughts on fair price? Any other options I should consider a requirement? There's no bad color combo on this car right?

I'm nervous about falling GT3 pricing pushing down the Spyder pricing, but honestly, I just don't see that happening. The next 718 Spyder will indeed be NA, too. Confirmed from Porsche already. The GT cars from Porsche keep getting optioned higher and higher, which helps inflate older hard to get P cars.

Also, how hard and expensive is it to get the OEM LWBs for the 981 if the car doesn't have it? $15k? Are they really that good over the base seats? I thought they don't really adjust much, and on longer trips, that would be frustrating.
I wouldn't say LWB a necessity, but more of a personal preference. I have LWB in my RS, and I actually find them comfortable as they force you to have a proper seating position. I'm 6'3 205lbs and I have no issues with long drives. My last GT3 I had sofas, and they were fine and for me I found them no more comfortable than the LWB others than the ease of exit/entry of the car. No the wife says oh boy I have to climb in this thing ......ha I told her it keeps her active. LWB's will move up and down and back and forth no other movements are possible. Also you. And add heat to the seats if that's your thing, but again I have no issues.

I keep hearing by about GT3's crashing most of them with low miles are still going for MSRP or close too. Never looked at swapping seats, and it will cause you to spend some dollars but not worth the hassle to me if you're ok with not having LWB. However, if you ever trade the car LWB's are more desirable as they are in GT cars especially in the RS.

My car has a high MSRP at 100,500.00 asking was 107,000.00, and I paid 105,00.00 it was Seth car I wanted with the perfect spec. You can actually get a GT4 for less than MSRP they're all over the place for sell more than the GT3's. My RS and Spyder are long term keepers that my son can have in about 30 years when I'm done driving them(: Good luck.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
There wasn't a "Spyder Classic Interior" option labeled as such on the
987 like the 981. Simply, red was offered as an interior color on the 987.

I originally thought that all 2011 Spyders w/red interiors came with red
carpets and that in 2012 Porsche switched over to black carpets instead.
However, one or more 2011 Spyder owners with red interiors debunked
this notion by pointing out that they had black carpets in their cars. Thus,
it's still unclear to me why/how some 987 Spyders with red interiors have
black carpets and some have red.
An obvious explanation would be that
owners could select their own carpet color when ordering, but I don't
think that was the case as a deviated carpet option was not offered on
the 987 from what I understand (except perhaps as a special/expensive
CXX option). So the mystery (at least to me) remains. Maybe at some
point Porsche just decided to go with black carpets instead of red and
it's as simple as that

I will briefly interrupt my 'sabbatical' from Rennlist to help you get un-confused.
Indeed 'Carrera Red' carpeting was standard with a 'Carrera Red' leather interior
on the 987 Spyder. Some of us opted for a simple option known as 'Carpeting in
Deviating Color' to get 'Black' carpeting on our 'Carrera Red' Spyder interiors. Its
cost was only $710. And it was available to anyone (dealer or customer) simply
if they asked for it on their order! It was not a customized option as in a DXX
(as CXX was then called by 'Porsche Exclusive'). I had one customized packaged
which PAG designated as DZE...and that was not part of it!

For more detailed information, see link below:

'My Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red '12 Spyder - Tale of a custom order!'

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...m-order-3.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
guab
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...pyder-cpo.html

Thoughts on this one guys?

Quick Reply: Gen 1 - 2 - 3 Spyder pricing discussion...