Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Has anyone retrofitted a GT3 master cylinder to a Cayman R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm still planning on getting there before noon, unless there's biblical rain or something bad comes up at work. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for lunch?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on coming by as well but no idea on a good place for lunch.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Lunch on Friday, August 13th!

I am sure that Alex and the guys at Shark Werks will suggest a nice local place where we can go to lunch. Sushi, anyone?

I am leaving early tomorrow morning from Carmel so that I can pick up Steve at around 8:40 AM at San Jose International Airport. Heavy rains are expected, so I am afraid that I will be taking the JCW Mini Hatch. We will have a small Spyder reunion (maybe joined by Cayman R owners too) at my Carmel home in mid-May for those of you attending the American LeMans Race week at Laguna Seca! And perhaps again during the mid-August Historics Race Week for those coming that week to Monterey peninsula! So there will be plenty of time to check each others Spyders out in better weather!

Hope to see some of you RListers tomorrow at Shark Werks in late morning!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you guys there around 10am
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Ok guys. I've read the whole thread and I'm trapped up in here Vancouver as a possible future CR owner and so you gotta keep me in the loop on how the day goes picking this awesome car up! Thanks in advance...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'll be there at about 11:30 with the spyder
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Fellas, I had a great time this afternoon! It was nice to finally meet people face-to-face.

Steve: I hope you have a great drive home!
Ian: Thanks again! I'll let you know the next time we head out for an HOD track event (I'm doing TMR@SP on May 12, and TMR@LS on June 16, not sure when the next HOD@Thill event will be for me)
Eduardo: I hope to make it in August!
Phil, Ben and Ken: See you at the track soon!

Let's do it again soon!

Joe

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-13-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Informal Reunion Report!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Fellas, I had a great time this afternoon! It was nice to finally meet people face-to-face.

Steve: I hope you have a great drive home!
Ian: Thanks again! I'll let you know the next time we head out for an HOD track event (I'm doing TMR@SP on May 12, and TMR@LS on June 16, not sure when the next HOD@Thill event will be for me)
Eduardo: I hope to make it in August!
Phil, Ben and Ken: See you at the track soon!

Let's do it again soon!

Joe
Same here Joe!

I picked up Steve Colletti early at San Jose's airport and we arrived at Shark Werks shortly after 9 AM. Alex and the guys gave Steve a detail briefing on all the work they had done on his Cayman R and then Alex took Steve on a long test drive. After they came back, it was my turn to take the Cayman for a short drive around the block. I wanted to feel the single mass flywheel and the Evomsit software tuning, plus hear the glorious sound of the new Tubi exhaust. I didn't apply hard the brakes or take any sharp turns, so I didn't fully appreciate the new gt3 master cylinder or the new adjustable rear RSS toe steer kit! As a side note, it turned out that Steve and Alex share a passion & early interest in computer gaming & other 'geeky' stuff like that back in the late 90's! In fact, Steve had read some of Alex's computer-related blogs in those early years and knew people in common from that pioneering epoch! Small world indeed!

Soon Ben (Aqua Spyder) and Ken (White Cayman R) arrived, shortly followed by Ian (Schmidts Cat) and his son Morgan. These two have each bought DFI Cayman S ('09 &'10) to track and their cars were being worked at Shark Werks too. Then OrthoJoe arrived and, a bit later, so did Phil (Redyps). These both have White Spyders! I think Ben brought (or borrowed) a digital portable microphone to record the loudness of the assembled exhausts. So they set up an impromptu testing site in the alley behind Alex's shop. I will let Ben and Joe described the results. We had at my count two Tubi, a Remus, a factory stock Spyder and a factory stock Sport Exhaust Spyder. I think Tubi won the loud honors today!

At almost 1 PM, we headed to nearby Kaenyama Sushi Restaurant on Alex's recommendation. Our group consisted of Steve, Joe, Ben, Ken, Morgan, Ian and myself. Phil unfortunately couldn't join us and Alex was too busy to leave his shop. But we did quite well with the group we had. We closed the restaurant down at 2:30 PM, enjoying some great sushi and a few Sapporo beers this place had on draft! Ian was kind enough to treat us for this royal feast, and I want to sincerely thank him for his generosity. Ben, Ken and Joe then headed back North and the rest of us went back to Sharks Werks. Steve took off shortly after that to start his trip back to Los Angeles, but not before getting directions to some nearby gas station that carries super high-test gasoline. He wanted to start with a tank full of the 'good' stuff and compare it to the second tank on his road trip, which would be naturally just 91 proof! He is also riding back on brand new Michelin Sport Cups thus he wisely avoided Highway 5 and the possibility of white powder on the notorious Grape Vine. Instead, he is taking 101 and the scenic tour to the Southland! Ian and Morgan stayed on with Alex to see the work on their cars finished. Ian and I share in common some BMW Z8 friends, since I used to have one of these cars a few years back. So we traded some Z8 stories before I took off at around 3:30 PM.

I want to thank Alex and the guys at Shark Werks for the hospitality they showed us today. He has even started me thinking about the RSS kit, the Light Weight Flywheel and the Evomsit software for my 'virgin' Aqua Blue/Red Spyder! And to Steve Colletti for suggesting this first reunion in Fremont!

We will have another get together here at my home here in Carmel during the weekend of the American LeMans Laguna Seca Race for those of you coming for that event:
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/press-re...-mazda-raceway
Since some of you can't make it in May, I will also host a small reunion during the Historic Racing/Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance week in mid-August. Steve Colletti will be returning for this since he is a regular at these events!
http://www.seemonterey.com/concours

So all of you Rennlist Spyder & Cayman R owners, mark these dates on your calendars and let me know if you are interested in attending. I can then PM you my address and the exact time for the get together as we get closer to the events!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Great write-up ED. It was a great day. Morgan and I got both cars out of there by about 5:30ish. As for the parties in Carmel... hope you have lots of parking!!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Yes - great write up. Tx!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
I think Ben brought (or borrowed) a digital portable microphone to record the loudness of the assembled exhausts. So they set up an impromptu testing site in the alley behind Alex's shop. I will let Ben and Joe described the results. We had at my count two Tubi, a Remus, a factory stock Spyder and a factory stock Sport Exhaust Spyder. I think Tubi won the loud honors today!
Ben brought a decibel meter, and we did a test of max noise output from 50ft away. The revs were performed in neutral and NOT under load, so levels under load at the track would likely still be different. The results were a bit surprising. From what I recall these are the numbers:

Spyder, NO PSE: 88dB
Cayman R, PSE: 88dB
Spyder, Remus: 92dB
Cayman S Tubi: 94dB
Cayman R Tubi: 96dB

Surprising that the PSE is no louder, but does sound a bit more aggressive
Surprising that my Remus hit 92dB. It doesn't sound loud to me at all. I'm sure it's not as loud as my Evo X, and my Evo X has passed sound at Laguna Seca...

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-14-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Agreed about the impromptu DB readings. These can not be right. The Tubi is louder than the Remus for sure, much more than 1 DB! Same with PSE vs non PSE
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Agreed about the impromptu DB readings. These can not be right. The Tubi is louder than the Remus for sure, much more than 1 DB! Same with PSE vs non PSE
1-2dB difference may be correct. dB readings are not linear, and are logarithmic/exponential. Also, this is peak dB, not dB throughout the range. No doubt the Tubi sounds better and is louder, though. PSE vs nonPSE did not sound different to me in terms of peak sound, but PSE had a nicer snarl to it.

The problem is, these impromptu dB readings are the same way they do it at Laguna Seca, which is why the black flagging that occurs seems so arbitrary. Why do some GT3s pass, and others don't? Why does a 997.2 Turbo S get flagged, which is supposed to be quieter than a GT3? Ben, can you bring that dB meter of yours to Sears Point on May 12th? I'll have my Evo X that day, and I'd like to see what it measures.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys.

I apologize for how late I am getting to RL. I arrived safely back just before 10:00 last night, hitting only one (really) bad bit of weather.

It was great to meet you all. Thanks to everyone for showing up with your cars in the weather, too. I loved seeing and hearing them all, as well as putting names on faces (and screen names).

Thanks for the sushi, Ian... it was completely unexpected, but very much appreciated.

And thank you, Alex, for hosting us and taking such great care of my car.
As for the car, it seems like my drive-off/PSM issue is resolved (fingers crossed - I've entered my garage drama-free 4 times now). The engine is transformed, much more responsive, noticeably quicker. I love the MPSCs, but I expect LCAs to be a necessity (playing with air pressures, first).

I hope to see you all in August, if not before.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice meeting everyone yesterday. Hope do do it again soon. As far as the sound readings go, I thought that the Tubi on the Cayman R registered a peak reading of 96 db and the one on the Cayman S registered a 94 but I could be mistaken. Either way, they would both see meatball flags at Laguna Seca. The PSE definitely sounds better than stock even with equal db readings. I'll be happy to bring the decibel meter to the next track day, just give me a reminder as we get closer to the event. Steve, glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. Ian, thank you very much for lunch and here is the link to the website that I mentioned that lists local track days. It's a great resource but not always 100% accurate. http://www.bratten.org/TrackDays/

Quick Reply: Has anyone retrofitted a GT3 master cylinder to a Cayman R?