Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spyder prices

I'm Porsche-less for the first time in awhile. I was thinking of picking up a 997.2 GT3 as the last Porsche I had was a 997.1 GT3 which I sold in a fit of desperation to buy another car I really wanted.
I'm somewhat regretting the decision (damn near gave the car away ), but whats done is done and time to move on. I had NEVER considered a Boxster (chick car, can't afford a 911, etc...) until a recent test drive of a Boxster Spyder. I now find this to be a much better value proposition than the GT3 so I am on the lookout.

The car I drove had almost $20k in options, $15k of which I couldn't care less about.

I'm wondering what is out there at and if they are dealing on them or if I have to bite the bullet and pay MSRP. Whatever I buy needs to be new.

Last edited by medici78; 12-12-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saved about $3500 off of sticker on mine. I basically leveraged 3 preowned models in the vicinity with the dealer. They wanted to make the deal which worked out for me!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

This has been mentioned before by another rennlister: MSRP or not, the spyder is a bargain for what you get.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:53 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

@balakris: was this on a new car?
@orthojoe: I don't disagree. I just don't want to be taken to the cleaners on a car that doesn't have the exact options I want.

I'm starting to consider pre-owned cars as almost all the new cars are PDK, save for the one I drove and none have sport buckets which would be nice.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by medici78
@balakris: was this on a new car?
@orthojoe: I don't disagree. I just don't want to be taken to the cleaners on a car that doesn't have the exact options I want.

I'm starting to consider pre-owned cars as almost all the new cars are PDK, save for the one I drove and none have sport buckets which would be nice.
and there in is your problem. There were very few Spyders made for the US and most that were bought by dealers for inventory were not only somewhat loaded but did not have sport bucket seats. When I decided to get one I set certain things I had to have and then told my dealer I would accept other options. I wanted a certain color and had to have sport buckets. Ended up with PDK ( don't sell it short) and P:SE which I would not have ordered.
The Spyder replaced my '09 Carrera S and I have not looked back. The Spyder is just pure fun to drive and is quick. A modern day speedster. pure sports car.

As for pricing, it is December and my guess that if you can find a Spyder you can live with at a Northern dealer you can make a very good deal, but again most of the ones left have PDK. I did see a white one in Southern Calif a week ago with 6 speed. Keep looking, and good luck.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I did a search a few weeks ago and found about 5 pre owned Spyders with Sport Buckets and 6Spd. Do a search on Autotrader, that is where I found these.

When I bought mine I had to order it, I wanted Black Full Leather/PSE and none of the dealers were ordering it on their 6Spd/Sport Bucket cars unless it was Beige or Red.

I'll try to do a search tonight and post some links to cars I find.

Good luck with the search, you definitely won't be disappointed with the car's capabilities.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Medici, I totally hear you on that. Unfortunately, it's going to be tough to get exactly what you want since spyders are out of production at this point. Particularly if you want the sport buckets. Dealers just don't get it when it comes to these enthusiast cars. My purchase was an impulse buy, and the savings I had on a slightly used spyder were almost negated by putting sport buckets back into the car.

Best of luck on you search. Let us know what options you are looking for
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I had NEVER considered a Boxster (chick car, can't afford a 911, etc...) until a recent test drive of a Boxster Spyder. I now find this to be a much better value proposition than the GT3 so I am on the lookout.
BTW, it's funny how many of us (including myself) felt this way until seeing/driving a spyder in person. I now realize how impressive the boxster lineup is...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT settle. Sport Buckets are a must on these cars. I was lucky and found one exactly how I would of ordered it (1 day before I placed my order through a dealer in Oct 2010.) I saved $10k, and the car only had 317 miles on it. Just hold out and wait for the "Correct" one, or you will kick yourself.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Totally agree with you, Plavan. However, depending on the options he wants, it might not be possible unless he is willing to wait for a long time for the perfect one to pop up on the used market. There was more inventory available when you were in the market. Definitely hold out for sport buckets. Everyone knows how my blood pressure rises everytime I see a spyder optioned with sport heated seats...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

I agree, orthojoe. I'd bet less than 10% of the cars were ordered with sport buckets and I'd wager that most of the those were ordered and not dealer specced.
Is the sport chrono a necessity? I didn't have it on my 997.1 GT3 and never missed it, but on my Panamera Turbo I could not have lived without it.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I think you're right about the 10%, I remember Eduardo (z356) posting numbers in another thread that pretty much confirms your assumptions.

Sport chrono is a necessity for PDK, from what I gather since you need sport/sport+ mode to get the benefits of PDK. Not necessary if you have a manual.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Thanks, orthojoe! I found a pre-owned Spyder that is almost there, but does not have Sport Chrono. Its a manual (necessity for me on this car), so it looks like I can go without. I really wanted the Sport Exhaust, which it does not have, but I figure can follow your lead and pick up an aftermarket exhaust that will probably sound nicer anyway. The PSE was still a bit quiet for me on the one I drove.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Well there used to be five with MT's and Sport Bucket, not it's down to three. Links:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, orthojoe! I found a pre-owned Spyder that is almost there, but does not have Sport Chrono. Its a manual (necessity for me on this car), so it looks like I can go without. I really wanted the Sport Exhaust, which it does not have, but I figure can follow your lead and pick up an aftermarket exhaust that will probably sound nicer anyway. The PSE was still a bit quiet for me on the one I drove.
Dont worry about the Sport Chrono. You can just buy the Sprint Booster for the same effect on a 6 speed ($299). Plus, you dont have to look at that ugle wart on the dash.

Quick Reply: Spyder prices