Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

used Spyder FS / Sold

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default used Spyder FS / Sold

Did anyone see the 2011 Red/Black Spyder asking price $58,000 with 2200 miles ... sold fast
Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 466 Posts

Where was it listed and what were options? Good price so I'm not surprised it went fast.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

It was in the Rennlist Marketplace vehicles for sale section
Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this one listed on CARS.com. I'll admit, it stung a bit to see this listed at 58K. This car was listed in McLean VA, which is 20 minutes from me. I just took delivery of a new (ordered) Guards Red Spyder as GR, much less buckets was impossible to find at dealers or pre-owned. No regrets, just a slight sting.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...er-spyder.html

About 2200 topless highway miles on sunny days, obsessively well maintained. Never spent a night (or day) out but have always been garaged. Honestly, this specimen has never even seen rain, the only time top has been on has been when I have washed the car.

6-Speed manual transmission
Sport Bucket Seats
Sport Chrono Package
Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynam
CD-Radio Audio System CDR-30
Sound Package Plus
Alcantara Package

I was a MY2011. It did not have any of the two Alcantara pkgs PAG offered, regardless what it says on the ad. Only options were Bi-Xenons, Sport Chrono and Sound Pkg Plus. Add it up - its not that much over its $61,200 base price. Should have sold about $10,000 under its original MSRP. At $58K, or anywhere near it, it was 'expensive' compared to previous sales of better optioned cars that have sold before it in past months. Good deal to the seller. Jabbey, you have a MY2012. Rare bird and perhaps better optioned. No sting. My dos centavos. Saludos, z356
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,646 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...er-spyder.html

About 2200 topless highway miles on sunny days, obsessively well maintained. Never spent a night (or day) out but have always been garaged. Honestly, this specimen has never even seen rain, the only time top has been on has been when I have washed the car.

6-Speed manual transmission
Sport Bucket Seats
Sport Chrono Package
Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynam
CD-Radio Audio System CDR-30
Sound Package Plus
Alcantara Package

I was a MY2011. It did not have any of the two Alcantara pkgs PAG offered, regardless what it says on the ad. Only options were Bi-Xenons, Sport Chrono and Sound Pkg Plus. Add it up - its not that much over its $61,200 base price. Should have sold about $10,000 under its original MSRP. At $58K, or anywhere near it, it was 'expensive' compared to previous sales of better optioned cars that have sold before it in past months. Good deal to the seller. Jabbey, you have a MY2012. Rare bird and perhaps better optioned. No sting. My dos centavos. Saludos, z356
I agree 100%.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Ok, just a pinch then. I'm not looking back. A lot of the fun was the hunt for an allocation, the build process, and taking delivery for something that I've played out in my mind for 20 or so years. That experience can't really be evaluated in dollars. Having optioned Sports Exhaust adds even more joy to the experience. So glad I read these forums to hear what people had to say, because as a first-time Porsche buyer, I'm not certain I would have checked that mark for ~3K with no sign of real performance improvement!

Thanks Rennlist.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The sports exhaust is a MUST! The best part is that the sound keeps getting better.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with Spyder prices in the coming years. I guess it will depend on what Porsche and other manufacturers come out with. Not much really competes at the same level with the Spyder today.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 186 Posts

If I'm not mistaken it also did not have A/C. The only other Spyder I've seen go for under 60 was a white/black, PDK with Sport buckets here in Raleigh also without A/C - makes ya think no?

PS this also proves that when it comes to resale you get pennies on the dollar for options.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
PS this also proves that when it comes to resale you get pennies on the dollar for options.
Whenever you look at the value of a car in KBB or some other on-line resource, they give a value for the car, and you will see the options only add a fraction of their original cost to the value of a car.

In the case of a Spyder, one with certain prefered options might sell faster than a stripped down model, but then again a stripped down car might appeal to someone.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

For the Spyder owners... what is typically the negotiated rate for an ordered car?
Good deals on Spyders are (relatively) rare as we're still in 2011. There is a 2011 with PDK/bucket + sport steering, (but no bi-Xenon), CPO'ed - asking $67,9. Then, I see another with pdk, chrono, bi-xenon, with 8k miles (non-CPO'ed) asking $68,9.
These two examples are being offered relatively close to MSRP, aren't they?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

Lithium: I don't think there is such a thing as a typical negotiated rate on a Spyder - pre-ordered or off the lot - during the less than two year period they have been on the market. When the first cars were ordered (back in November/December 2009 after the LA Auto Show), some buyers might have gotten a nominal discount from their dealer, depending on the relationship & history they had with them. The best time for discount on a Spyder appears to have been in the early fall of 2010 when inventories of MY2011 were at their highest level of unsold at US dealers. Those dwindled down late in 2010 and early in 2011. By the time the MY2012's started arriving in late Spring (say June), the Spyder market was tight again.

Today, you will get a better deal in a left-over new MY2011 Spyder (if they are still around) than a new MY2012, all things being equal. Used Spyders are all over the map. Back in the spring of 2011, I was seeing used MY'11's going for no less than $10K off MSRP. Normally, the higher MSRP cars with lots of options took a larger hit (% wise) than low optioned cars. That is typical on any vehicle and certainly true in a Boxster/Cayman or 911. I am not in the market today, so I am not following it that closely now.

Here are some previous threads that have talked about pricing in the past. But because the supply of Spyders is different now than then, they may be totally useless to you today:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...r-pricing.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...otiations.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...is-huge-2.html

This exchange is typical and took place in the fall of 2010 from the last thread linked above:

Quote:
Question Originally Posted by Z356
It would be interesting to know if any forum member has been able to negotiate a reasonable discount at this time, given the large inventory of unsold Spyders out there. z356

Response to Question Above by Allan Gibbs:
This is what I've found interest of specials:
Walters Porsche in Riverside, CA: Has or had a red Spyder that MSRP at $67,825 and was discounted to $62,228. The advertised a lease special of $7,500 total out of pocket and $698 per month. I also though this was strange considering they have had a Boxster S lease special for $6,000 out of pocket at $598 per month. I believe MSRP on that S was $62,000. I suppose dealers are offering less of a discount on the Spyder? On a side note, I contacted Beverly Hills Porsche regarding Walter's dealer. I was told they cannot match that and I should "run not walk" for that deal. I suppose that was true because the ad was pulled from their site on Saturday so I assume that Spyder was sold -even though it's still appears on their inventory.

http://www.waltersporsche.com/

Circle Porsche in Long Beach, CA is advertising a lease special on their Spyder. It's $3,950 cap reduction and $899 per month. I figure total out pocket would be around $6,000. MSRP is $74,840.00

http://www.circleporsche.com/new-specials.html End of Quote by Allan Gibbs

Lithium- I negotiated a very good price off MSRP when I ordered my custom MY2012 Spyder in May of 2011. But I studied the market carefully for months and looked for a dealer that had an allocation & was willing to deal. I found that dealer in the MidWest, so not locally. Sometimes this type of perseverance pays off and it did in my case. Saludos, z356

Last edited by Z356; 09-27-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I was doing research to buy mine in January I noted that typical discounts ranged from 0% up to 10% depending on the time of year, location of dealer (higher discounts in the North East during the winter) and if the dealer wanted to make the sale or not.

I was fairly fortunate to find an allocation to place a custom order and the dealer offered me a very good discount. I placed the order in January and the car arrived at the end of March.

Good luck with the hunt, hopefully you find what you want at a reasonable price.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I was able to get 3% on what I'm fairly certain was one of the last allocations to be had. My MY2012 was ordered in June, built in July, and delivered in August. Not a crazy discount, but I think fair given that I made 12 calls around various parts of the US to even find the allocation.

John
Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,646 Likes on 905 Posts

I received 3% off for my original Spyder order (local), then when I tried to order my PTS from the same dealer back at the end of last March (which was rejected every time) I was getting the same discount. When I bought my riviera Spyder from Walter's in SoCal, I received no discount as it was after production ended and a very rare PTS (1 of 4). The dealer knew they had something special and wouldn't take anything off MSRP. I bit the bullet anyway as riviera was worth it IMHO.

Quick Reply: used Spyder FS / Sold