Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z356. you have some interesting information. Could you provide the exact number of your count and the number of dealers whose inventory you examined. I'd like to calculate the average number in stock per dealer. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

VGM911: Like I explained to 20C4S, I didn't take notes. But I am planning to do another search of the national Spyder inventory next month and will write it all down. In the meantime, I am hoping that someone with access to the P national database computer (available to any salesman at a local dealership) will be able to provide the forum with official updated data which might be of interest to all. z356
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

guys,

i would appreciate help with these questions:

i am starting an order for a spyder, as my dealer swears there are no sport seat cars anywhere.

is this true? i would greatly appreciate links to all sport seat cars.

i am debating whether pccb is worth the weight loss, probably silly if i accept a/c

if i order manual trans, what does sport chrono do - performance wise - if anything? i know it helped my pdk c2s

does the sport exhaust have performance impact?

how much weight do i save w pccb? with sport seats?
give up with a/c?

thanks very much for any and all assistance, please pardon my ignorance
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i have had a lot of caymans and box and gt3s. this spyder is a very special car. and on the street, it's every bit as good as the RS if not better. i think the car is too pure and focus for the GENERAL PUBLIC. most buyers would not accept the "strange" soft top. but for me, if i were to get one, i would throw the top out the window on my way home. what's the point. i live in CA.

as far as cayman RS, CS goes. i dont see much point. if you really really want to track, get a GT3 if you want to drive on track occasionally and have a lot of fun enjoying the sun and on street, get the spyder. i loved my cayman on track, but the fact of the matter is that it is not supported by PAG for track duty. there are many issues when you track it hard. yes, you can get around it, but you better be $$$ and patient. if you dont like to do that, track a GT3 and enjoy the spyder. that's why savyboy, polar etc have these two cars.
+1 ^ Mooty is spot on, the Spyder is a great sports car and definitely my favourite to drive on the highway, it's not for everyone but if your enjoy the open road and twisty highways this car will reward the purist in you.

My only complaint is the short driving season here in the frozen north for the topless Spyder. I suffer withdrawal from Nov to May each year.

I have to ship my GT3 state side to get my $$$$ worth out of it. Good thing you guys have lots of track choices, I'm off to Miller Motorsports Park in 2 weeks.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
guys,

i would appreciate help with these questions:

i am starting an order for a spyder, as my dealer swears there are no sport seat cars anywhere.

is this true? i would greatly appreciate links to all sport seat cars.

i am debating whether pccb is worth the weight loss, probably silly if i accept a/c

if i order manual trans, what does sport chrono do - performance wise - if anything? i know it helped my pdk c2s

give up with a/c?

thanks very much for any and all assistance, please pardon my ignorance
My car has the adaptive sport seats not the sport buckets, I like them very much.

I don't believe the PCCB are worth the cost.

Get the sports exhaust if you get any options, the sound is intoxicating, by far my favourite option on the car.

I have the manual trans with the sport chrono, it's a novelty, the extra performance if any will not be noticed on the street.

As always this is just my 2 cents worth, it's your money do whatever works for you.

Enjoy
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Watt: The no-cost Leather Sport Seats in Spyders are all over the map (literally). The much lighter (also no cost) Alcantara/Leather Sport Buckets are also plentiful. Do some research and you will easily find them. http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/usLocator/states/ Frankly, your dealer knows that. The information is available to him at the touch of a few computer keys. So he has another motive for telling you that.

I will let Spyder owners respond to your other concerns. But I have one question for you Watt. Are you 100% sure PCNA has allocations left for building a MY2011 Spyder at this late date? And if so, what month (date) does your dealer claim he has a confirmed Spyder production allocation for?

PolarPorsche. I met you Saturday at the POC Laguna Seca track event a few weeks ago here in Monterey. Your Guards Red gt3 looked terrific and you were really pushing it hard on the track. Your avatar photo looks like familiar ground. I liked the set up your Great White North buddies have devised in bringing your Porsches in giant transporters to US tracks south of the border. That is smart. Best of luck at Miller Motorsport. z356
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
By coincidence I saw your old 997.1 Orange gt3 RS (the one you got from the first owner in Marin County) at The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills a few months ago. I think they finally sold it. Cheers, z356
that car has been there for a long time.
not sure why. it's never hit. tracked maybe 5x
everything was stock on it.
i sold it to carlsen and they wholesaled it somewhere, i guess to auto gallery.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

===> livermore porsche in nor cal has a black car with sport seat in show room as of two weeks ago.

===> up to you. but i cannot feel the difference b/n pccb and iron in terms of wt loss. but the pedal does feel different. i prefer iron.

===> not sure, but the thing is fugly, the wart.

===> not much, but glorious sound. you NEED to order it.

give up with a/c?
===> total maybe close to 100 lbs.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

PolarPorsche. I met you Saturday at the POC Laguna Seca track event a few weeks ago here in Monterey. Your Guards Red gt3 looked terrific and you were really pushing it hard on the track. Your avatar photo looks like familiar ground. I liked the set up your Great White North buddies have devised in bringing your Porsches in giant transporters to US tracks south of the border. That is smart. Best of luck at Miller Motorsport. z356
and you missed me!!!
i parked right behind polar's HUGE 100' trailer.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Allan Gibbs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be interesting to know if any forum member has been able to negotiate a reasonable discount at this time, given the large inventory of unsold Spyders out there. z356
This is what I've found interest of specials:

Walters Porsche in Riverside, CA: Has or had a red Spyder that MSRP at $67,825 and was discounted to $62,228. The advertised a lease special of $7,500 total out of pocket and $698 per month. I also though this was strange considering they have had a Boxster S lease special for $6,000 out of pocket at $598 per month. I believe MSRP on that S was $62,000. I suppose dealers are offering less of a discount on the Spyder? On a side note, I contacted Beverly Hills Porsche regarding Walter's dealer. I was told they cannot match that and I should "run not walk" for that deal. I suppose that was true because the ad was pulled from their site on Saturday so I assume that Spyder was sold -even though it's still appears on their inventory.

http://www.waltersporsche.com/

Circle Porsche in Long Beach, CA is advertising a lease special on their Spyder. It's $3,950 cap reduction and $899 per month. I figure total out pocket would be around $6,000. MSRP is $74,840.00

http://www.circleporsche.com/new-specials.html
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

My Spyder definitely continues to enthrall after a few months (and almost 5k in miles) of ownership! The car is my DD (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area) and the car is perfect for the climate here. I have the sport buckets, bi-xenons, AC, radio and a manual with the short shift. The car is just so pure, and the suspension tuning is just perfect -- firm, but not jarring, and there is almost no body roll when the car is pushed. Car + Driver calls it the best handling car in America (for under $100k) and I can understand how they came to that conclusion. The power is good . . . And while there could more (as with my RS), I am learning that more power doesn't necessarily mean more fun.

The Spyder, however, isn't for everyone. Some might find the suspension too harsh. Some may not like the fact that it takes a little work to remove (and put on) the top (2 mins for me). And given that the top has no insulation, the Spyder may not be ideal in certain climates. Then there is a bit of effort to get in and out of the buckets (doesn't bother me -- I love 'em).

Dislikes? Very few. The wheels are a PIA to wash and keep clean. The standard brakes (steels) are very good but not great. PCCBs may be worth the extra cost. And sometimes I wish the gas tank were a bit larger. But that is about it. The Spyder is a knockout and I am so glad I got it. It definitely continues to enthrall, perhaps even more so now than when I first got it. I will have the Spyder at Laguna Seca in a week and I can't wait!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

20C4S: Well, I should have had pencil and paper handy, but like a fool I didn't write anything down. In my defense, I must tell you that I didn't start out thinking I would look at each dealership's Boxster inventory in the country! But after going through California's, Oregon's and Washington's in detail, I decided I was on a roll and might as well keep going. It took me hours to do this. But don't worry, I will be doing another country search next month to see what is happening to this inventory...and might actually write it all down this time around.

Of course, if anyone in this forum has a friend at a P-dealership, the PCNA master computer database could generate all of this information in seconds...or perhaps a few minutes at the most. I personally don't want to bother my contacts at various Porsche dealers since I am not yet ready to pull the trigger or seriously discuss a purchase. I am still in the research phase of my 'hunt' for a sport car suitable for my needs & desires. But others here might have relationships that can easily access all of this information quickly and might be willing to share it with us in this forum. z356
thank u 356. i do that when i'm bored. i gotta say Porsche does a good job keeping their dealers online inventory current.

i'll be more interested in east coast deals when the winter comes.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had the Spyder for a bit over 2 months and it still amazes me whenever I drive it.

From what I've been told there have been 44 allocations in Canada (which is actually less than GT3 RSs - from what I've been told) making the car quite rare. I don't know the stats for the US but I think these will be valued greater than normal Boxster Ss.

Regarding the PSE. I don't have it. The sound is praised however there is no performance gain. It wasn't in my interest to pay $3k CDN for a bit of extra sound.

For Sport Chrono, check out this link for the features: http://www.planet-9.com/faq.php?faq=...aq_sportchrono

- Throttle Response, Removes 'Soft' Rev limited Cut off, PSM backs off a bit, etc
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Re: Mooty's "and you missed me!!! i parked right behind polar's HUGE 100' trailer". John, no wonder! Here in the States we are in a near depression and Canadians are now a bigger economic powerhouse than us, blocking views with their large transporters filled with gt3's and taking over our tracks just to rub it in! Good for them, I hear Alberta is buzzing with new economic activity. I didn't missed Savyboy and Carrera GT. They were parked (with new 997.2 gt3 RS's) together near the fence by turn #2 and we had a good visit. I missed Zellamsee, who was there as a spectator (I think). But I might catch him next week with his Spyder when he comes back down here to drive Laguna Seca. I was a member of Porsche Owners Club back in 1984/85 when I lived in Marina del Rey and have great memories of their track events back then. I even crashed (& totalled) my bright yellow '72 914 2.0 at one of their DE's - hit an early apex in turn two and never recovered at the historic Riverside International racetrack, now a shopping mall in the oddly-named Inland Empire area of Southern California. z356
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Watt: The much lighter (also no cost) Alcantara/Leather Sport Buckets are also plentiful. Do some research and you will easily find them. http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/usLocator/states/ Frankly, your dealer knows that. The information is available to him at the touch of a few computer keys. So he has another motive for telling you that.

I will let Spyder owners respond to your other concerns. But I have one question for you Watt. Are you 100% sure PCNA has allocations left for building a MY2011 Spyder at this late date? And if so, what month (date) does your dealer claim he has a confirmed Spyder production allocation for?

z356
Thanks to all__ I have looked at 4 dealers now and have yet to find a car with sport buckets, other than the one on ebay

he claims to have on open Oct build for Nov delivery.
it was true when i got my 2011 x5d order from him, a few months a go --

but he claimed he did a nationwiide search and found no sport buckets in spyders also. thanks to all

i am thinking

sport buckets alacantara
white
sport exhaust
sport chrono
a/c
maybe pccb but so far no one claims they are worth $9k

Quick Reply: Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!