Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Porsche Purchase Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010 | 04:39 AM
gerardc962
3rd Gear

Default Porsche Purchase Negotiations

Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time Porsche fanatic, and am looking to buy my first Porsche in a few weeks. I'm looking to get either a brand new 2009 Boxster/Cayman, or a used 2008.

I'd like to hear how the end-to-end purchase process goes, so I know what to expect. Also, any general inputs on their negotiating style would be appreciated.

What things of high value to you appeared to be low value to them that they are more willing to concede on? How long did it take? What to watch out for? If you bought brand new, is there such a thing as an extended warranty you could buy? If CPO, do they tend to be willing to show you service records or the certification notes? Did they sell you lojack, or other such add-ons? What sources did you use to get your target price? What is a reasonable discount nowadays?

The more detailed the better, and it would be great to know the sequence of the steps in the whole process. I really appreciate it. Perhaps the admins can make this sticky, since it's potentially useful to all buyers. Thanks!

Gerard
Old 05-25-2010 | 08:52 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

If new 10-15% off
If new and on display 15-20% off
If used 20-25%

Do your homework and build your own P-car on the Porsche website. Porsche has endless options, so get what you need/want. Once loaded with knowledge and what you want go for the kill.

1) Get the emails for ALL the web sale-managers, and send them each an email requesting what you want and ask them to give you their best deal. Give them a couple of days and start bugging them, so they know you are for real on purchasing.

2) Once the price is agreed upon, sit down with the lowest proposal and check-out their place of business by observing the facilities and their employees. Once you get that warm feeling start your paperwork for the price and options you want.

Some dealerships will request a 1-3K deposit.

Now comes the hardest part, the wait! You will go mad until you get that phone call or email that your baby arrived. Suggest you get the clear 3M before driving off to prevent chips and tire insurance.

I hope this helps and best of luck with the hunting.
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:02 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

I think cvazquez's advice is quite reasonable. Three months ago, I bought an untitled 2009 base Box with an MSRP of $60K. I paid $45K for it, plus they paid off the four months left on the lease of my Miata (about $1,200). The car had a few hundred miles on it, but was not used. It was driven by the owner late in 2009 until it sat at the dealership over the winter. I would think Porsche buyers are in about as advantageous a position as possible these days. Don't let the emotional urge drive your choice.... just work the deal and politely walk away if they aren't close.

Doug
Old 05-27-2010 | 02:05 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

do you think this guidance applies to the Spyder? or in all markets?
Old 05-27-2010 | 04:06 AM
gerardc962
3rd Gear

Hi cvazquez,

When emailing the dealers, is it best to email them separately but let them know you are asking their competitors as well? When it's "new and on display" does that mean whatever is on the showroom floor? How much arm twisting was needed to get the discounts? Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Gerard
Old 05-27-2010 | 04:23 AM
gerardc962
3rd Gear

Hi Doug,

Wow, you went from 60k to 45k out the door price? Since it was not Titled yet, does that mean the warranty started when you purchased it? I really don't mind a huge discount at the cost of buying one with a few hundred miles. That might even be a good indicator for willingness to discount.

How would you rate the haggling, in terms of difficulty? When I was a new grad a few years ago, I went to a dealer, and just by saying hi, they said the cars were 10k off. Was that how it went for you? Or did you have to play tricks to get to that point?

What were the routine things they were selling when you went to the finance department? Is there extended warranty? Clear 3M? Lojack? How low did they go on those?

Good point on setting a walking away point. Thanks for the input. Anyway guys and gals, please tell us more, it's getting more and more interesting and gives us views from different angles.

Gerard
Old 05-27-2010 | 12:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by gerardc962
Hi Doug,

Wow, you went from 60k to 45k out the door price? Since it was not Titled yet, does that mean the warranty started when you purchased it? I really don't mind a huge discount at the cost of buying one with a few hundred miles. That might even be a good indicator for willingness to discount.

How would you rate the haggling, in terms of difficulty? When I was a new grad a few years ago, I went to a dealer, and just by saying hi, they said the cars were 10k off. Was that how it went for you? Or did you have to play tricks to get to that point?

What were the routine things they were selling when you went to the finance department? Is there extended warranty? Clear 3M? Lojack? How low did they go on those?

Good point on setting a walking away point. Thanks for the input. Anyway guys and gals, please tell us more, it's getting more and more interesting and gives us views from different angles.

Gerard
While that opening "10K off" sounds pretty good you have to know the market. Year ago around this time had I walked into a Porsche dealer and had a salesman tell me the Cayman S I had my eye on was being offered for $10K off I'd laughed cause my research was dealers were offering these cars at $20K off sticker. And bigger discounts were to be had on Carreras. I had a dealer offer me a Carrera at $30K off of sticker.

The car not being titled doesn't mean the warranty started when you bought the car. Some dealers inform Porsche a car has been sold which starts the warranty clock running even though the car has not been registered.

You have to know if the car has been sold ("punched" is the term used here in USA to refer to cars reported as sold when they have not been sold to a retail customer but essentially bought by the dealer from the bank that finances the dealer's stock of cars) and if so when so you can know when the warranty started running.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-27-2010 | 02:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would the discounts also apply to a Spyder? If so I may have a problem!
Old 05-27-2010 | 02:12 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I had one New England region dealer say (a month ago) "full list" on any Porsche because Porsche is "trying to right the market" with reduction in allocations.

BD
Old 05-27-2010 | 03:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
I had one New England region dealer say (a month ago) "full list" on any Porsche because Porsche is "trying to right the market" with reduction in allocations.

BD
A perfect example of everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to pay as much for the car as possible and to buy it as soon as possible.

At least one dealer in this area didn't get the memo.

Not too many weeks back one dealer was running an ad in the SF Chronicle (or was it the SJ Mercury News?) offering left over 2009 and some 2010 cars at big discounts. (I sometimes clip the ads and save them for reference but don't have any on my desk at this time.)

One really has to do his research to learn the market as best he can and thus know what the pricing is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-27-2010 | 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
There are a number of Spyders available. I'm not paying much attention but that is what I gather from those that are.

This suggest dealers anticipated a big initial burst of purchases of this model that may not be happening.

If so, lots of ifs and maybes I grant you, but if so, then this suggests there will some discounting of Spyders at some point.

It boils down to doing whatever amount of research you need to do to learn the market for the model you are interested in and try to follow the market to see if the market is declining further or perhaps has hit bottom and is rebounding.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-27-2010 | 07:26 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Gerard,

Believe me they will know your talking to others. Some will not play along with you, so those you skip and wish them the best. Yes, what ever is on the floor or required ordering or required getting from a different competitor that will provide them a vehicle but will not loose the allocation. You'll do all your arm twisting via e-mail, so no attachments and you could walkaway at any time from any deal. Just do not commit to anything until your are ready...
Old 06-27-2010 | 10:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some feedback. I went to the local dealer and test drove the Spyder. I didn't get into pricing since I wasn't ready to buy but I know they had one on the lot and available for immediate purchase. During the test drive the salesman was very forthcoming and mentioned that sales were down and they had more inventory than they wanted. I do believe that they will negotiate the price down when the time comes but I'm not certain how much. I won't be buying until the winter (February) so hopefully the initial demand will have been satiated by the time I order.

Quick Reply: Porsche Purchase Negotiations