Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Can the Boxster Spyder with its roof be driven in cold NY,NJ weather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Can the Boxster Spyder with its roof be driven in cold NY,NJ weather?

Hello Spyder owners
I was wondering about the how well does the Boxster Spyder work in winter on cold non snow days with climate control option?

1) Is there a wind draft/leak with the top up making winter driving impractical ?
2) It would be nice to use such an expensive car in all seasons ( rain, winter but non snow ofcourse)
3) How bad is the wind noise on the highway with the top up?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Tough call. The top is not insulated at all; therefore, if it is really cold outside, the top won't provide much protection. I don't feel any wind or draft leak anywhere when the top is up. And the heater works well (I drove with the top down Saturday night, and it was 50 degrees outside -- I was toasty in the car). On account of the lack of insulation, there is considerable wind and other noise even with the top on. But it isn't too bad -- you can still carry on a conversation, hear the radio (if you have one) and use the bluetooth. However, I lived in NY for almost a decade and I don't think I would want to be in a Spyder when it gets really cold (e.g., freezing) outside.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

THe correct answer for NJ is................. NFW
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I would say yes to winter in NJ & maybe to NY. In NJ I've lived in Princeton, Moorestown, and Parsipany. I would call the winters mild. In NY I've lived in Rochester. Below zero in the winter and freezing in the summer. So if you are living in Up State NY then no. Although my dealer just traded a BS to the Buffalo dealer.
There is no wind/draft leak with the top up.
I don't find the wind noise on the highway a problem.
I plan on driving my BS year round in Colorado.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Spyder will no doubt be outfitted with summer tires (Z-rated, I'd guess). Beware that such tires are not suitable for temperatures under 40 degrees, nor snow/ice.

This is all moot if you plan to mount winter tires during the cold months.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Get heated seats!!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Smarttop have remote start? If so, you want this.
No idea how you people live in such squalor....
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, I would not own a Spyder in NJ/NY areas. I grew up in Parsippany NJ, lived on the east coast for 23 years. I would go with a Boxster S or a Cayman S. If the car could be garaged, that would be better, but never an outside car. The top on the Spyder is an afterthought, a piece of canvas that is stretched across the windshield to the top of the roll bars. No internal frame, they are fairly water tight, but between the cold and the rain and snow, would not be an ideal car.

I now live in Northern CA and my Spyder is currently on the ship and due to arrive at the end of May. It will not be my daily driver, I added the PSE, A/C, Radio, sports seat w/heat. The buckets are awesome looking, but just to much of a hassle to get in and out of. Good luck on your decision.

pcw

Quick Reply: Can the Boxster Spyder with its roof be driven in cold NY,NJ weather?