Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder and track use

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder and track use

When I had a boxster (986), I had issues with the sport seats and passing a "broomstick" test.. So I bought a B-K adaptor to solve the problem.

While I *think* the spyder has the same 987 rollbars as the regular boxster, and therefore assume the B-K adaptor for that will fit..

Question 1: will it actually fit under the top?

I thought I read that the top was only rated to 125mph. So on larger tracks, you may have a speed limiting issue.. unless you run with the top off. However, some tracks (like Watkins Glen) don't allow you to run with the roof off, unless you run Arm Restraints.

Question 2: Do folks run arm-restaints in non-rollcage equipped cars? (especially at a DE where it could restrict giving passing notices?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All questions I asked myself before buying my Spyder... It's not here yet so I can't comment on the roll bar but I am pretty sure that the bucket seats are very much lower than standard seats - so I think that you will need to run with open roof and with arm restraints.
I bought some arm restraints and they are actually not intrusive at all - I tried them at stable energies in NJ and it's pretty easy. I'll take pictures when I get my car delivered in a week or so.
I don't think that the arm restraint restricts the point by by very much... again I'll let you know all about what I find out in a few days
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Go check out the car with your helmet... I recall the roll bars on the 987s are taller than the 986's. Also, if you get the sport buckets, you'll also get a little more clearance.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run arm restraints as I like my arms. Did you see this thread and pics?

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/boxs...ics-video.html

My wife is modeling the arm restraints.

They are not uncomfortable, just have to remember to hook up everything and in the proper order. Hand signals are possible just less obvious. I had no problems. Also- I always ran topless.

You sit pretty low in those Sport Buckets, so I think broomstick is not a problem.

Beware of chewing up the front tires Ugh. Car really needs Corsa Systems, Cups, Trofeos or something track oriented.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
I run arm restraints as I like my arms. Did you see this thread and pics?

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/boxs...ics-video.html

My wife is modeling the arm restraints.

They are not uncomfortable, just have to remember to hook up everything and in the proper order. Hand signals are possible just less obvious. I had no problems. Also- I always ran topless.

You sit pretty low in those Sport Buckets, so I think broomstick is not a problem.

Beware of chewing up the front tires Ugh. Car really needs Corsa Systems, Cups, Trofeos or something track oriented.
What did you do in terms of pads? Stock or some Pagids?
My car arrives in 5 days... FINALLY!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
What did you do in terms of pads? Stock or some Pagids?
My car arrives in 5 days... FINALLY!
Stock. Porsche Motorsport P50 Greens coming in a few days but they are PCCB specific.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Stock. Porsche Motorsport P50 Greens coming in a few days but they are PCCB specific.
They didn't seem lacking in stopping power one little bit either....

The car looks great... I haven't driven on a track since I sold my 996 RSR race car... it's likely to feel VERY slow but I think that I will have a big smile in a few days anyway!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I had my Spyder on the track just yesterday (Thunderhill), and I was just stunned how quick it was. I didn't record any lap times, but I would guess that I was probably only a couple of seconds slower a lap in the Spyder as compared to my 997.1 GT3RS. The Spyder is so nimble, poised and balanced in the turns. I have the steel brakes, and they held up just fine.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my plain, pdk, cayman S cabriolet out yesterday on the track courtesty of Sunset Imports and it was a blast. Could reel in a GT2 in the turns no problem!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some problems do to my torso height and don't fit in 996's well even without a helmet. in the 87 I was surprised how low the seat will go and would easily fit in it with a helmet on. You may be surprised.

Quick Reply: Spyder and track use