Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 12:45 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
It's not brushed aluminum, it's the same silver paint as the standard silver Spyder wheels. They may have started completely silver then they were painted black/color over the top. Wheels from the factory will always have silver lip edge and silver/gray barrels, no matter the color of the face/spoke area.

Thanks for the pic. Maybe it depends on the wheel as my factory-optioned black Carrera Sports have what appears to be a brushed/clear coated outer lip though it could very well be silver paint.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

He listed the car for sale in the FB Cayman R group prior to it going on BaT and he was wanting $75k for it.
thanks

Originally Posted by jreifler
I sent him a message for ya. Will DM with his contact if he shares.
Appreciated!
Old 07-10-2024, 01:11 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Thanks for the pic. Maybe it depends on the wheel as my factory-optioned black Carrera Sports have what appears to be a brushed/clear coated outer lip though it could very well be silver paint.
Yes, that's true for Carrera Sport wheels. Spyder/R wheels use just a painted edge. They share the same dimensions, but different in most other characteristics.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (07-10-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 04:54 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plafondles
This one sold for $68,500

Originally Posted by MXA121
Last Bid shows $47.5k likely RNM. Guessing they keep it open and 'processing' to try and close a deal so it doesn't mark as a non sale.
Person you quoted was the seller. It's been a couple weeks and highest offer is $48.5k. Buy-it-Now is $57,500. https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...ster-spyder-7/
Old 07-12-2024, 08:08 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Person you quoted was the seller. It's been a couple weeks and highest offer is $48.5k. Buy-it-Now is $57,500. https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...ster-spyder-7/
Old 07-22-2024, 04:58 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 388 Posts

Those turbo style wheels really detract from the looks for me. The regular spyder wheels are so much better looking.
Old 07-23-2024, 05:19 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Cayman R on PCA ..... https://mart.pca.org/ads/70077
Old 07-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Cayman R on PCA ..... https://mart.pca.org/ads/70077
The build sheet in the ad indicates the car should have carbon buckets, but the photo of the car looks like regular sport seats. The other weird thing is the side decal is missing from the front bumper. That usually indicates some bodywork. All that said, it's a cool options mix with things like the lightweight battery, Sport Look footrest, PSE, PCCB, Sport Chrono, 6-speed, and the Peridot premium. The seller thinks the color-matched interior trim is a unique thing, but that was standard for the R.

Last edited by Zach L; 07-23-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

The build sheet in the ad indicates the car should have carbon buckets, but the photo of the car looks like regular sport seats. The other weird thing is the side decal is missing from the front bumper. That usually indicates some bodywork. All that said, it's a cool options mix with things like the lightweight battery, Sport Look footrest, PSE, PCCB, Sport Chrono, 6-speed, and the Peridot premium. The seller thinks the color-matched interior trim is a unique thing, but that was standard for the R.
I also noticed no buckets.

I think those are the standard comfort seats in there. I don’t notice the shoulder support that sport seats would have.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:32 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,312 Posts

The car did have buckets when it was for sale with Porsche Nashua a couple years ago at 40k miles. They don’t even look like sport seats either just the regulat ones.

Old 07-24-2024, 10:39 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 500 Posts

Seller actually reached out to me in response to my WTB Peridot ad, and I've chatted with him pretty extensively now. He took the buckets out, but has them. He was debating taking PCCB off too, but left them on. He also has a full set of spare PCCB rotors for it.

@Zach L I think his mention of trim in the PCA ad is to the fact that all the plastic trim in the rear hatch area is also Peridot - which is a pretty unusual spec.

If he sourced some correct wheels and put the buckets back, it would be a top dollar Peridot, but I think he sees more value in either keeping buckets for the next car or selling separately.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:57 AM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 54 Posts

If he sourced some correct wheels and put the buckets back, it would be a top dollar Peridot, but I think he sees more value in either keeping buckets for the next car or selling separately.
That reminds me of the saying about my aunt being my uncle given a different set. Also has almost 50k miles, so probably not quite top dollar peridot. Nice looking car for sure though.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:12 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

He took the buckets out, but has them. He was debating taking PCCB off too, but left them on. He also has a full set of spare PCCB rotors for it.
I absolutely loved the PCCB on my 987.1 ...the solution though would be to leave the PCCB calipers and just swap in some Girodisc steel conversion rotors. Besides, you can't swap the standard Cayman brakes onto a PCCB-equipped Cayman. He'd have to use a full GT3 steel setup if he wanted to go OEM.

@Zach L I think his mention of trim in the PCA ad is to the fact that all the plastic trim in the rear hatch area is also Peridot - which is a pretty unusual spec.
I'm going to blame my inaccuracy on the ad lacking any interior photos That's a unique option though.

There's definitely more value in selling them separate, but most of us with these rarer cars feel some sort of inclination to keep them "complete" even when modifying them. He's going to have to come down on his asking price if he's going to sell a car that's had the parts snatched from it. Wheels are original to the car, although I'd probably source some Spyder wheels if the car were mine, especially to match the reduction in rotational mass offered by the PCCB rotors.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:18 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 500 Posts

I absolutely loved the PCCB on my 987.1 ...the solution though would be to leave the PCCB calipers and just swap in some Girodisc steel conversion rotors. Besides, you can't swap the standard Cayman brakes onto a PCCB-equipped Cayman. He'd have to use a full GT3 steel setup if he wanted to go OEM.

I'm going to blame my inaccuracy on the ad lacking any interior photos That's a unique option though.

There's definitely more value in selling them separate, but most of us with these rarer cars feel some sort of inclination to keep them "complete" even when modifying them. He's going to have to come down on his asking price if he's going to sell a car that's had the parts snatched from it. Wheels are original to the car, although I'd probably source some Spyder wheels if the car were mine, especially to match the reduction in rotational mass offered by the PCCB rotors.
Yep - He didn't realize he couldn't just swap in steels without changing wheel carriers too. I think that's why he ultimately decided to keep intact. I probably would've bought the car "whole" from him, but our timing was off by a few days. I question the piecemeal sale approach, but not mine to judge . . . @vudores is just salty because I stole his Peridot dream car, and now this is the next best option. 😉😘
Old 07-24-2024, 11:29 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Yep - He didn't realize he couldn't just swap in steels without changing wheel carriers too. I think that's why he ultimately decided to keep intact. I probably would've bought the car "whole" from him, but our timing was off by a few days. I question the piecemeal sale approach, but not mine to judge . . . @vudores is just salty because I stole his Peridot dream car, and now this is the next best option. 😉😘
I think most share you sentiment. I'm glad he encountered an issue with the brakes and I hope there's pressure from buyers to keep the car intact.

Last edited by Zach L; 07-24-2024 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread