Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sealant Option for OEM mount location

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 06:20 PM
ma122
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Sealant Option for OEM mount location

If anyone is looking for an alternative to the OEM tire sealant or Terra S the Airman Unibottle Tire Repair Sealant slots into the OEM fitment location. Not a review of the product itself as I have not had to use it thankfully though there are plenty of reviews. There are also plenty of similar products that appear to use the same diameter bottle as OEM/VW/Terra S as well that would probably also work. This product as many others does not require removal of the valve core. Many find the OEM sealant in their cars has expired/never been replaced, worth checking for the summer season.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AIRMAN-Ti...sor/2445441994

Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by ma122:
Greg981 (06-16-2024), nhnguy12 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 07:53 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm sure my 2016 Spyder has expired sealant, so should replace. Have no experience with this product.

That being said, have known two instances where sealant was used and was a PITA to clean up and deal with. So my plan is: Within 100 miles of home, I'm calling a flatbed. On a road trip, I carry a jack and tire patch kit. Thankfully, haven't had a flat in it.

Others experience with sealant?
Old 06-15-2024, 10:11 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 147 Posts

This happened to me few years ago and caused a big mess in my frunk. Now I have a bottle of slime in the frunk secured in a ziploc. So or so, check the expiration date of your tire sealant and replace it if expired. Mine was expired and that might have been the reason for the mess.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-in-frunk.html

Last edited by john981; 06-15-2024 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:38 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts

I would read up on this gizmo before replacing it/ My wife's Boxster expired last year quietly and I did replace it but only in a reluctant pursuit of "stock". As I understand it, if this thing goes off it will reflate your tire but a call to your road call service may produce a much more satisfying result. This thing is the ultimate example of German engineering.
Old 06-16-2024, 05:46 PM
ma122
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It rinses away with water - road service or plug/patch would be preferred where feasible though I always prefer to have unexpired sealant on hand personally. If it's pouring rain and a road service is delayed it is always nice to have an alternative option.
The following users liked this post:
Greg981 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:20 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 265 Posts

I was on a Porsche rally a few years ago when a member got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. AAA was a pipe dream. Fortunately another driver had a bottle of Slime. Filled the tire and drove to a tractor repair shop several miles down the road. I watched as the shop owner removed the tire from the wheel (centerlocks - another story) and proceeded to rinse out the wheel and Slime with a nearby hose. Not a big deal. Patched the tire, remounted it and we were on our way - even the TPMS was still functional. While I agree that AAA is a good resource, I don’t do road trips without a bottle of Slime in the frunk.

BTW, my factory slime was expired and I returned it to the dealer to be “recycled”, as per the instructions on the bottle.

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
AdamIsAdam (06-18-2024), FINZ (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:22 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,949 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I just ordered mine. BTW, I bought this a few years ago for my Cobra. It had good reviews, and the testimonial above really says it all. the Cobra has been sold but I still have the kit. It's a nicely contained container of slime with air pump. I take it with me on long trips.

This summer I'm going on a 2,000 mile trip including tail of the Dragon and I'm not expecting AAA to be nearby should the worst happen.

I also created a gig bag, a complete bag with a scissor jack, the proper sockets and breaker bar, additional plugging supplies etc. It's heavy but it fits in one neat, little travel bag that I will take with me as well. Again, being in the mountains with no cell service and far from civilization is scary. Oh. And I just picked up 4' x 6' blue tarps from harbor freight for about $5 each to give me a clean working area when on the side of the road. I recently had a sidewall blowout in my Audi and had to pull my trunk liner to have a clean area for tools and parts. Otherwise he would have been a huge mess

Old 06-18-2024, 01:43 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

I got this bin from Home Depot. It fits in the bottom of the frunk and is about 6 inches deep, so it leaves plenty of room for storage in the frunk. I assembled it for a long trip with plans to remove it for local driving, but I just leave it in there.
It contains scissor jack, tire sealant, gloves, tire patch kit, microfiber cloth and tie down strap.

Old 06-19-2024, 01:57 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,949 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Pictures? I'll play...

Inside the black bag is more stuff, like some minor first aid things, tire plugs, safety reflective vest, etc. What you see here is a scissor jack, all tools to be able to remove and repair a tire, gloves and more.

23lbs of goodies that I'll probably keep in the passenger footwell for better weight distribution.

Quick Reply: Tire Sealant Option for OEM mount location