991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by trayvon
Compared to literally 99.9% of what you will see on the street. Add any turns / handling challenges and a 991.1 base, with a manual transmission and a large passenger and bricks in the back seats, is still going to seem really fast compared to your average car on the road.
Dunno man, those V6 CamCords are FAST!

In all seriousness, you are right. We are all lucky to be driving ANY 911.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:06 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Spot on.

It's all relative and to be honest having a 911 (any variant) would be good enough for 99% of those that can't have one.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Dunno man, those V6 CamCords are FAST!

In all seriousness, you are right. We are all lucky to be driving ANY 911.
My commute and work takes me all over NYC. I see some pretty sorry souls scattered about. You have no idea how lucky we are to discuss the noises our Porsches make. I know we earned it, but there by the grace of G-d go us.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Talk to a dealer about getting Michelin P4S. "this is not a Porsche approved tire" will be the response...
I did and that was indeed the initial explanation I was given. I pushed back and the tires were ordered a month ago and got in today. Scheduled the swap for Monday!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Compared to literally 99.9% of what you will see on the street. Add any turns / handling challenges and a 991.1 base, with a manual transmission and a large passenger and bricks in the back seats, is still going to seem really fast compared to your average car on the road.
99.9%?? Im not comparing our cars to the econoboxes and SUV's that clutter the roads. Im talking in the performance category. Track times and 0-60 times sell cars, I get it. The reality of both is neither of them are really even relevant in the majority of your usage of the car, even when driving enthusiastically.

Some of you guys act like we are all track stars. How much time do you actually spend on the track? Who's flinging their cars into corners on public roads at 80% of the cars handling capabilities... which is exact where the 991 would become a more capable tool than its competitors.

If anything, the only time any of the cars potential is used above 75% is in braking or acceleration.

Personally, for DD or street use, with the occasional track usage, I'd rather have a competent car in the corners and car that gave me a smile when I stomped the throttle. Ideally, you could have both worlds.. which there are several 991 variants to suit.

Anyone who thinks a base 991.1 is "fast" car is entitled to their opinion, but I would suggest you go a few other cars in the performance price category in its real world usage.

100-120k can buy you a LOT of performance. I also can appreciate the purists who love the handling, design, and engineering, but for my dollar, I would look elsewhere than a base 991. We are all lucky to have such nice cars and such ridiculous conversations, I guess its really to each's own in the end!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:42 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

And I am one of those chumps who thinks a base 981 Boxter is fast enough for the streets.
I wasn't sure until I drove a friends base cayman - that thing was so fun and certainly far from underpowered!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Word.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yup - the 3.4 911 was faster around a track than the M4 which was up ~100hp and even more torques.....
Word.

And I am one of those chumps who thinks a base 981 Boxter is fast enough for the streets.
Word.

>4 second 0-60, 114 MPH trap speed, and MUCH better on track than it is in a straight line? Yeah I consider the 991.1 base “fast” especially for real world usage. I’m one of those people who does drive the car spiritedly at least 50% of the time as it’s mostly a pleasure car for me, and it’s frustrating enough to wring this car out in a safe manner. I don’t need an 11 second car, I need a car that stirs my emotions and has a useable powerband, while having just enough power.

I drive my friends GTR plenty on the same roads I drive my car. That car can do 0-60 what? Low 3’s, high 2’s? Have you ever heard one? Guess which car is WAY more fun to drive in the twisties?

Same concept as the guy in this or another thread that has a new 911 Turbo but without thinking grabs the keys to his N/A older Boxster to take through backroads as he enjoys it much more.

All 991’s are filtered out some rawness. So yeah, I am salty that every new iteration gets filtered out more. The .1 happens to be a sweet spot for me personally, but I much rather them go backwards in terms of rawness and viscerality rather than go forwards in terms of muted rocket-ship civility. The 911T is a nice step, but the soul of the car is still the 3.0 turbo and the soundtrack carried with it, so as Trayvon aptly put it, I am salty that I can’t get an N/A Carrera anymore. I only have 3 steps up to take from my car: .1 S (not a huge difference), GTS (I’d love one but those prices will always be very high as being the peak of the non-GT N/A cars, and GT3 which will likely never go down in value much, thanks to being the last of the N/A cars).

Othewise, of course all 911’s are amazing. The in-fighting is something we do with each other. The second a Vette or GTR comes into the equation, the .2 goes from being my bastard child to the most capable performer you can buy and a performance monster, just like that.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice to see some moderators comments in the thread title "Thread Killer" - However, when I opened the 991 section of Rennlist this morning the thread at the top of the pile was one entitled "991.1 Vs 991.2 Fight Club ".

Frankly, the 991 section has become a waste of time. There is little point in discussing anything in relation to the 991.2 because virtually every thread gets derailed by the same people. Likewise the 992 threads (as it will be powered by the 9A2).

There are a small number of people that make a meaningful effort to contribute - however, I suspect if the behaviour of 4 or 5 people continues, they will simply move on or not bother.

Thus - to the mods - can this thread. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:09 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Nice to see some moderators comments in the thread title "Thread Killer" - However, when I opened the 991 section of Rennlist this morning the thread at the top of the pile was one entitled "991.1 Vs 991.2 Fight Club ".

Frankly, the 991 section has become a waste of time. There is little point in discussing anything in relation to the 991.2 because virtually every thread gets derailed by the same people. Likewise the 992 threads (as it will be powered by the 9A2).

There are a small number of people that make a meaningful effort to contribute - however, I suspect if the behaviour of 4 or 5 people continues, they will simply move on or not bother.

I agree. And here I was thinking buying a $118,000 911 was going to put me in a new forum with cool car guys. I grew up in Flint MI, and there were always arguments about Chevy, Pontiac, Mopar, etc but in the end, we all loved cars and we respected other people's opinions. I mean a lot of us came from BMW, including me with my last E92 M3 that thought we were going to get away from this nonsense. I was 100% wrong. Here in Tampa there are a lot of nice cars, but over the last 16 months of Porsche ownership I've been flipped the bird many times for just driving the car I chose to buy. I couldn't figure out what the deal was - other than the normal expensive car deal - but now I know. If people meet guys like R-Rated, who is the epitomy of a self centered, egotistical, mines better than yours, perceived Porsche owner, I can see why they think that way about us and I don't blame them.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by randr

I attempt to provide a single platform for folks to come in and express their feelings about the .1 and .2 trims and fight it over, while respecting one another, and you want to shut us down?

Frankly I expected a ton of torque curve charts and numbers declaring the technical supremacy of the ,2, from our resident “statistician Randr!â€

I’m no scientist or a race car driver, I tried both and bought what I liked better.

Now if we can get sensitive Sticky and his blown base over here, we’d have ourselves a party and have many less arguments in the other threads.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
I attempt to provide a single platform for folks to come in and express their feelings about the .1 and .2 trims and fight it over, while respecting one another, and you want to shut us down?

Frankly I expected a ton of torque curve charts and numbers declaring the technical supremacy of the ,2, from our resident “statistician Randr!â€

I’m no scientist or a race car driver, I tried both and bought what I liked better.

Now if we can get sensitive Sticky and his blown base over here, we’d have ourselves a party and have many less arguments in the other threads.
AND ladies and gentlemen I rest my case.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
AND ladies and gentlemen I rest my case.
at least he didn't give us his fart can/vacuum comment again.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
at least he didn't give us his fart can/vacuum comment again.
True
Old 11-03-2017, 10:57 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
I agree. And here I was thinking buying a $118,000 911 was going to put me in a new forum with cool car guys. I grew up in Flint MI, and there were always arguments about Chevy, Pontiac, Mopar, etc but in the end, we all loved cars and we respected other people's opinions. I mean a lot of us came from BMW, including me with my last E92 M3 that thought we were going to get away from this nonsense. I was 100% wrong. Here in Tampa there are a lot of nice cars, but over the last 16 months of Porsche ownership I've been flipped the bird many times for just driving the car I chose to buy. I couldn't figure out what the deal was - other than the normal expensive car deal - but now I know. If people meet guys like R-Rated, who is the epitomy of a self centered, egotistical, mines better than yours, perceived Porsche owner, I can see why they think that way about us and I don't blame them.
I think that the overwhelming majority of Porsche owners do exactly that. I was a bit self conscious entering the Porsche world when I bought my first Porsche - a Boxster. It's not a 911. But everybody loves it - strangers, PCA members, 911 guys etc. I always get flashes and waves from the 911 guys when I am in my Boxster.

Now that I added a second Porsche to the garage (a 911), I always return the favor. All these cars are just fantastic.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:10 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think that the overwhelming majority of Porsche owners do exactly that. I was a bit self conscious entering the Porsche world when I bought my first Porsche - a Boxster. It's not a 911. But everybody loves it - strangers, PCA members, 911 guys etc. I always get flashes and waves from the 911 guys when I am in my Boxster.

Now that I added a second Porsche to the garage (a 911), I always return the favor. All these cars are just fantastic.
Awesome reply and thank you! I've been to a couple PCA DE events at Sebring and everyone I talked to/and hung out with were great. I respect everyone's choice in cars, even if I wouldn't drive it. I guess I need to not worry about the forums so much.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo

Here's a chart.. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1033...o-results.html

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 11-03-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread