Sponsored by:

Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Some of you are unaware of this but the higher horsepower 996 and 997 turbos convert to rear wheel drive. The awd is hard to keep together at high torque levels.
I'm surprised. I thought people were making big leaps on the 991 3.8 turbo(s) platform, putting down reliable 700-800 wheel. But you are the expert here.

Furthermore, the 991.2 C2 is much cheaper than the Turbo S. Put on similarly sized turbos or even larger Turbos and the C2 will win a straight line run. Lighter car, lower drivetrain losses, plus less drag due to the narrow body. It's simple physics.
Right - I'm saying you applying the same funds & tuning effort to the larger displacement car, it's gotta overcome the weight/drivetrain losses and widebody drag etc. A tuned C2 vs Turbo S stock comparison is less relevant to me. But yeah, to be seen, once your car evolves into its full potential. If you can build a C2 that can reliably put down power and is faster than a Turbo, i'm sure people would notice.

I believe your story about the M4 pulling you but you regaining the advantage in the corners. Think of the 991.2 as having a better engine than the M4 but with less weight in a better handling package.
Thanks for believing me. I do have videos of these, also me catching up to some Turbo S's on track believe it or not - but they have license plates and what not so sharing them online I think would be very poor form.

Yeah a well tuned 991.2 sure can be a menace - that's why I was curious to see it. I realized after you posted you seem to be on West Coast.

Can't believe people still run tuned M3/4s w that crank hub lurking either tbh. Maybe it's resolved by now, I'm not up to date. I absolutely detest F series BMWs, mostly a subjective opinion that formed after my tuned F30 had massive issues.

Regarding whether I can afford the Turbo S think what you want. The 991.2 was purchased specifically to tune and build parts. Maybe when you see some of those parts as well as the results you'll understand. I take no offense.
Was not meant to be offensive, I'm also skipping lunch to buy cars myself - me buying a GT3 if it happens will be like zero down finance all full American dream kind of push. Probably no surprise they won't sell me one I guess.

I appreciate your invite. I'll extend one as well. You are more than welcome to come to any roll on events I host and see how horribly outclassed your 991.1 is.
Right - well you get my point, 991.1 is not a roll racing car. I doubt 991.2 is either but that remains to be seen. You won't win this crowd with 1/4 mile time slips, there are air cooled owners who row their own & heel toe here.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I have a 991.2 C2S and it definitely has turbo lag, I don't think there is a way to eliminate it unless they come out with a hybrid to fill the gap...

Personally I think the additional power and torque is amazing and makes the fun to drive. however I own a GT3 so I get my n/a kicks when I want to. if I could only have one, i would own a 991.1
Well said!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'm surprised. I thought people were making big leaps on the 991 3.8 turbo(s) platform, putting down reliable 700-800 wheel. But you are the expert here.

Right - I'm saying you applying the same funds & tuning effort to the larger displacement car, it's gotta overcome the weight/drivetrain losses and widebody drag etc. A tuned C2 vs Turbo S stock comparison is less relevant to me. But yeah, to be seen, once your car evolves into its full potential. If you can build a C2 that can reliably put down power and is faster than a Turbo, i'm sure people would notice.

Thanks for believing me. I do have videos of these, also me catching up to some Turbo S's on track believe it or not - but they have license plates and what not so sharing them online I think would be very poor form.

Yeah a well tuned 991.2 sure can be a menace - that's why I was curious to see it. I realized after you posted you seem to be on West Coast.

Can't believe people still run tuned M3/4s w that crank hub lurking either tbh. Maybe it's resolved by now, I'm not up to date. I absolutely detest F series BMWs, mostly a subjective opinion that formed after my tuned F30 had massive issues.

Was not meant to be offensive, I'm also skipping lunch to buy cars myself - me buying a GT3 if it happens will be like zero down finance all full American dream kind of push. Probably no surprise they won't sell me one I guess.

Right - well you get my point, 991.1 is not a roll racing car. I doubt 991.2 is either but that remains to be seen. You won't win this crowd with 1/4 mile time slips, there are air cooled owners who row their own & heel toe here.
I don't know if I'm the expert but the cars are up to 1500+ whp so maybe you just aren't aware. 700-800 whp is nothing.

Thank you, exactly, a tuned Carrera running with tuned Turbos will open eyes. Maybe you get the idea now.

Regarding the S55 crank hub I can point you to several articles I wrote on the topic but it's a Porsche forum. Suffice it to say, not fixed yet but mitigated.

I disagree on the 991.2 not being a roll on car. Light, rwd, PDK, and easy to make power. I think it will surprise. I'm putting my money where my mouth is aren't I?

I'm not trying to win this crowd. I'm trying to educate it. The 991.2 is a huge leap forward in power potential. I stated with my first post if you put a premium on power it is a no-brainer.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:44 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know if I'm the expert but the cars are up to 1500+ whp so maybe you just aren't aware. 700-800 whp is nothing.

Thank you, exactly, a tuned Carrera running with tuned Turbos will open eyes. Maybe you get the idea now.

Regarding the S55 crank hub I can point you to several articles I wrote on the topic but it's a Porsche forum. Suffice it to say, not fixed yet but mitigated.

I disagree on the 991.2 not being a roll on car. Light, rwd, PDK, and easy to make power. I think it will surprise. I'm putting my money where my mouth is aren't I?

I'm not trying to win this crowd. I'm trying to educate it. The 991.2 is a huge leap forward in power potential. I stated with my first post if you put a premium on power it is a no-brainer.
Yeah I've seen 1k to 1.5k whp cars but they were all 996-997. Quite a few of them local to me here. But my internet readings are indeed a bit behind, wouldn't be surprised if 991s are there by now, haven't seen one in flesh.

At those power levels though, all you'll be doing is roll racing. A 1k whp 991, as good as the chassis is, would still be undriveable on a road course / race circuit, anything with turns. You would need a super human right foot to be able to modulate that kind of power out of corners, so this will be a tough point to get across but getting out of corners I might be able to get on the power earlier and hence be faster, purely due to ease of modulation. I can't even imagine what kind of brakes you need to slow down at the end of straights, reliably, especially on fast tracks like Pocono which runs hpde also with the infields, since I had to already change my pads/fluid for my slow 991.1 for track. And there is the whole heat management/reliability aspect of things, ie how many back to back 1/2 mile passes can those cars do and would they be able to run lap after lap through a track day. Some mentioned Z06 as a faster car than the 991.1, sure, but a Z06 can't even run on track more than 10-15 minutes without overheating getting in limp mode. So a car that seems so much more superior on roll racing might not work so well for track/hpde.

Anyways my point being, fast needs to be defined with some context, and there are other things to life than roll racing and 1/2 mile airfield runs. I feel like I'm consistently faster than 95% of the field in my hpde run groups (which is a surprisingly wide sample ranging from tuned STIs, Evos, GTRs, race prep Corvettes, 993s, you name it), even vs some guys in higher groups running Rcomp or Hoosiers. And this is a car that I just put Michelin Super Sports and pads & fluid on, everything else bone stock. So when you said underpowered and slow, I just don't see it, in my context. In drag racing, yes, I agree.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erko1905
Yeah I've seen 1k to 1.5k whp cars but they were all 996-997. Quite a few of them local to me here. But my internet readings are indeed a bit behind, wouldn't be surprised if 991s are there by now, haven't seen one in flesh.

At those power levels though, all you'll be doing is roll racing. A 1k whp 991, as good as the chassis is, would still be undriveable on a road course / race circuit, anything with turns. You would need a super human right foot to be able to modulate that kind of power out of corners, so this will be a tough point to get across but getting out of corners I might be able to get on the power earlier and hence be faster, purely due to ease of modulation. I can't even imagine what kind of brakes you need to slow down at the end of straights, reliably, especially on fast tracks like Pocono which runs hpde also with the infields, since I had to already change my pads/fluid for my slow 991.1 for track. And there is the whole heat management/reliability aspect of things, ie how many back to back 1/2 mile passes can those cars do and would they be able to run lap after lap through a track day. Some mentioned Z06 as a faster car than the 991.1, sure, but a Z06 can't even run on track more than 10-15 minutes without overheating getting in limp mode. So a car that seems so much more superior on roll racing might not work so well for track/hpde.

Anyways my point being, fast needs to be defined with some context, and there are other things to life than roll racing and 1/2 mile airfield runs. I feel like I'm consistently faster than 95% of the field in my hpde run groups (which is a surprisingly wide sample ranging from tuned STIs, Evos, GTRs, race prep Corvettes, 993s, you name it), even vs some guys in higher groups running Rcomp or Hoosiers. And this is a car that I just put Michelin Super Sports and pads & fluid on, everything else bone stock. So when you said underpowered and slow, I just don't see it, in my context. In drag racing, yes, I agree.
I'm not saying you have to have 1k whp. I am saying the 991.2 is the choice if you're into power and it is not even close.

Just throw a tune on and hit the track. You'll top GT3's. Look at the Sport Auto 991.2 GTS vs. 991.2 GT3 laptimes.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:26 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Not my slip just a cool dude who got us some early data which goes to show how strong the motor is and really how much stronger it is than the 991.1. He's on this forum and posted that slip but as he had to deal with a bunch of butt hurt 991.1 owners I'm not surprised he doesn't post much any longer.

The 9A2 is a modular architecture. There is a reason the 781 Boxster/Cayman share the exact same bore and stroke. The 781 S just gets a bore bump. Exact same engine family built at the same factory. Welcome to the modern world of modular turbo engines.

I love the 911R and GT3. I'll still smoke them though.

Go ahead and buy a 911R. I'm fine with what I have and the faster car. I like to tune, thanks.
Once again no solid proof whatsoever, seems to always evade you.

Crazy,...yeah they just stack cylinders on each other like lego blocks. Hey, make mine a flat 12!...slap a few more cylinders on the end of that six over there. Is that what you mean by modular? The most recent NA flat six was the mostly widely used engine case, now they have 4 and 6 cylinder engine cases, different turbos for many models (including the GTS), how is that more efficient? It's not, Porsche would rather have the flat six across all 7 & 9 cars in a heartbeat,...with just the GT cars and other "specials" being different. (as it was before they were made to do something different)

When forced to turbos, Porsche had to save money on the 7 series so they took away two cylinders. They really did not want to do this as it carries bad connotations back to the old 4 cylinder days even though they were not "bad" engines. Most people paying close to 6 figures for a Porsche don't want a 4 cylinder no matter how many turbos are strapped to them,.....myself included.

On with the tuning!.....those Turbo S's butts await, slap some bigger turbos on and make 'em hurt! You need to post this over in the 991 Turbo forum for sure, I'm sure you will get a warm welcome. (You do know the reason they are so fast even compared to cars having 200HP or more is due to the drivetrain?....how well they put down the power consitantly....right??) It is also the reason why today's C4s are considered a bit faster compared to C2s of the same power (Porsche even states it),....traction and control.

Stock Turbo S's run mid 10s with a ~12MPH speed advantage at the end of the quarter compared to a 991.2 GTS, (oh, that's right your fantom GTS is faster then everyone else's ) Good luck!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm not saying you have to have 1k whp. I am saying the 991.2 is the choice if you're into power and it is not even close.

Just throw a tune on and hit the track. You'll top GT3's. Look at the Sport Auto 991.2 GTS vs. 991.2 GT3 laptimes.
You forgot one thing,.....a GTS is NOT a GT3, huge differences. You may play with one for a race or two until yours breaks. GT3s are built for the track, GTSs are not. Don't even compare the two.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
You forgot one thing,.....a GTS is NOT a GT3, huge differences. You may play with one for a race or two until yours breaks. GT3s are built for the track, GTSs are not. Don't even compare the two.
I think you are underestimating GTS track capability.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Banned

Once again no solid proof whatsoever, seems to always evade you.

Crazy,...yeah they just stack cylinders on each other like lego blocks. Hey, make mine a flat 12!...slap a few more cylinders on the end of that six over there. Is that what you mean by modular? The most recent NA flat six was the mostly widely used engine case, now they have 4 and 6 cylinder engine cases, different turbos for many models (including the GTS), how is that more efficient? It's not, Porsche would rather have the flat six across all 7 & 9 cars in a heartbeat,...with just the GT cars and other "specials" being different. (as it was before they were made to do something different)

When forced to turbos, Porsche had to save money on the 7 series so they took away two cylinders. They really did not want to do this as it carries bad connotations back to the old 4 cylinder days even though they were not "bad" engines. Most people paying close to 6 figures for a Porsche don't want a 4 cylinder no matter how many turbos are strapped to them,.....myself included.

On with the tuning!.....those Turbo S's butts await, slap some bigger turbos on and make 'em hurt! You need to post this over in the 991 Turbo forum for sure, I'm sure you will get a warm welcome. (You do know the reason they are so fast even compared to cars having 200HP or more is due to the drivetrain?....how well they put down the power consitantly....right??) It is also the reason why today's C4s are considered a bit faster compared to C2s of the same power (Porsche even states it),....traction and control.

Stock Turbo S's run mid 10s with a ~12MPH speed advantage at the end of the quarter compared to a 991.2 GTS, (oh, that's right your fantom GTS is faster then everyone else's ) Good luck!
I told you that slip was already posted in this forum. I can't help that you're behind on the topic. Feel free to search and read.

The rest of your post is a mess. If you don't want to believe the 991.2 will be a tuning powerhouse then don't. The C4 isn't faster than the C2 it's the other way around btw.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,130 Likes on 1,462 Posts

LOL, you boys are gonna get schooled at the track one day. Racing your magazine articles....<tsk>

Here's a true story. I was Instructing at a HPDE event at Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit. Two guys I didn't know pulled up in their trailered GT3's all set up for track work with sticky tires, livery, HANS devices and Sparco color-coded racing suits. They were instructors, too. The brought some serious hardware to play with, and i made a mental note to give them room during the Instructor session and watch my mirrors - they were likely to barnstorm the entire Instructor cadre and there was no point in hindering them. Frankly, i thought their cars would be far too fast to run with the rest of the Instructors.

By the third lap of the first Instructor session I passed them both and they never caught up . My car at the time was a 100% stock Boxster S on street tires. And that Boxster never broke.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (08-26-2020)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Time for dog pictures

Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Time for dog pictures

This is mine:

Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I do like a good rug and bow ties are under rated

Last edited by randr; 08-20-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:47 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree eith dog pictures.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:01 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Quick Reply: Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo