996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hoovie killed his 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Hoovie is pretty grate, I love his cavalier approach to used high-end car ownership. Its' refreshing.

So what, he doesn't care as much about his almost 20 year old 996 as much as you feel he should? So he uses his cars in a matter most of you see unfit, maybe relax a bit and just go enjoy your car like Hoover does.

So who is the real car guy? The one that drives and enjoys with a general lack of concern? Or the one that parks in a cave on mars, only daring to travel on the of best of days freaking out over every cold start, person that gets too close and funny noise because what might (not) happen?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Anthony, you know, Youtube accounts are free. You can start "Real Car Guys With AnthonyGS" and show Hoovie how to click bait with class.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He's an enthusiast not a mechanic, hence the mechanic doing all the work. Lighten up guy, or make a BBC style documentary with David Attenborough narrating.

if having fun means you can't be an enthusiast then I'm selling my car today.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
"grate" "cavalier"
Hoovie does grate, that's for sure.

Cavalier, moronic; fine line indeed.

I generally drive my cars like the designers intended, but I don't neglect problems either. That's how car guys roll..... apparently many of you just don't get it.

three types of p car guys

1). Status driven types obsess and worry over everything
2) clueless tools, like Hoov
3) and car guys

3 being the very large minority. I'm not going to toss out names but it's pretty obvious who falls into which category around here.

Back to work, so I can pay my maintenance and tire bills.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS

I generally drive my cars like the designers intended, but I don't neglect problems either. That's how car guys roll..... apparently many of you just don't get it.

3) and car guys

3 being the very large minority. I'm not going to toss out names but it's pretty obvious who falls into which category around here.

4) guys who wish they bought a turbo
Old 08-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Costs are going sky high right now because the demand for LS engines is through the roof. It really is an amazing feat of engineering.
I didn't realize that. That said, everything seems to be going up except Milk these days.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,054 Posts

3) and car guys

That's funny, because I thought there were only 2 kinds of Porsche owners: those who can afford them (and buy new), and those who cannot (and buy ten years later)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3) and car guys

and guys who take ALL of this way too seriously! Hopping in my car in 30 minutes, i hope my opinion does not make my IMS bearing blow up this afternoon!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3) and car guys
that's. .. like....your opinion, man.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
4) guys who wish they bought a turbo
finally, I fit in somewhere.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

3) and car guys

2.5* here, reporting for duty.

*it should be noted for the record that I have performed a 5 wrench repair, successfully even! Not to mention half a dozen 2-3 wrench reparis on the Pelican scale.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
That's funny, because I thought there were only 2 kinds of Porsche owners: those who can afford them (and buy new), and those who cannot (and buy ten years later)
buying cars later allows me to have many more toys. Yes I could probably sell all my cars , keep my truck and get a Ferrari.... but I like having more choices.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Let's look at this a different way.

I have a decent driver 87 944 in my garage. It's for my 18 year old son to learn to work on/drive hard and motivate him to work and make decent grades.

Lets say I neglected that car. I then raced it. Oil, coolant, who cares? Timing belt maintenance... f that! And then bam Mr. Piston meets Mr. Valve and I'm on video laughing about it. Then I post videos of me trying to push start it and wearing out batteries trying to get it to drive again all while acting foolish.

Then lets say someone on this forum says I'm a fool for destroying a car on purpose. Would you all have my back and be bragging about what a cool car guy I am? Would it matter if I was going to do an LS1 swap or any other engine swap after?

There is a huge difference than that and most engine swaps where people buy cars with bad engines or sell the parts to keep others on the road.

No. The only reason you guys think this guy is not an idiot is because of YouTube views and some advertising dollars. I'm way too much of a car guy and I see past all that to the truth. The reality is that I wouldn't trust Hoovie with a Yugo.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Let's look at this a different way.

I have a decent driver 87 944 in my garage. It's for my 18 year old son to learn to work on/drive hard and motivate him to work and make decent grades.

Lets say I neglected that car. I then raced it. Oil, coolant, who cares? Timing belt maintenance... f that! And then bam Mr. Piston meets Mr. Valve and I'm on video laughing about it. Then I post videos of me trying to push start it and wearing out batteries trying to get it to drive again all while acting foolish.

Then lets say someone on this forum says I'm a fool for destroying a car on purpose. Would you all have my back and be bragging about what a cool car guy I am? Would it matter if I was going to do an LS1 swap or any other engine swap after?

There is a huge difference than that and most engine swaps where people buy cars with bad engines or sell the parts to keep others on the road.

No. The only reason you guys think this guy is not an idiot is because of YouTube views and some advertising dollars. I'm way too much of a car guy and I see past all that to the truth. The reality is that I wouldn't trust Hoovie with a Yugo.
Point is who cares? he bought a high mile beater, tracked it without caring about the result, and thrn made some additional dumb videos to get views.

But he paid for it, its not rare, and the engine was likely not long for this world anyway...so again, why do you care so much what some other guy does with his 240k 996?

Why would i care if you blew up your 944 engine?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

The reality is that I wouldn't trust Hoovie with a Yugo.
Out of curiosity do you also get upset at the producers of Taken 3 where they basically destroyed a working 996 by crashing it into a plane? That was awesome to watch!

Quick Reply: Hoovie killed his 996