Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I haven't done any cosmetic mods in quite a while and had debated adding door pull straps when I first got the car since they would match the other red accents in the car so well; there's the danger of going overboard when applying accents (i.e colored air vents). After consideration I picked up and installed a set of the custom door pull straps currently manufactured and sold by a fellow Rennlister I'm sure some of you have seen lately.

The likeness to the original is impressive, installation was a cinch and they look the business.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:14 AM
Saruman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
These pics from a few years ago are terrible quality.. sorry guys.
The lettering was originally white and I changed it to red myself.
And I bought these in my infant 997 ownership months. What I thought were Rennline were probably knock offs. They are at least good quality though and have held up great. Look like new. Sorry to say also that I don't remember where I sourced them.
No worries. I poked around on eBay and found a couple of used sets in silver that are otherwise identical to yours. One set was $160 and the other was $40. Needless to say, I bought the $40 set. I'm very pleased with them. I managed to install the dead pedal, clutch, and gas without any drama. The brake pedal is being a pain though, since it is metal and I have broken 5 drill bits on it. I've given up on it and am going to have my shop do the last pedal for me... I'm still happy with what I did manage to accomplish though!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Am I the only one that can't get on board with the wheels? The rest of the car, this thread, everything he's done is very impressive. But. Them wheels? I just can't.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Totally get it.
There's no arguing with you on asthetics because its subjective. That's just a futile point. I'm right, you're right. Everyone is right on how they think they look.

But if we're talking function, I'll defend that all day long.
BBS E88s are arguably the best track wheel ever made for a 5 lug 911. They are incredibly light, strong and easy to mend. in fact, their center-lock faced siblings are used by cup car, IMSA, Porsche Club race, etc etc. I could extol the virtues of BBS 3 piece wheels in many paragraphs and still not encompass what they have accomplished.

And for what you get they are a great value too.

There are many people who value the form of function. I happen to be one of them.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Totally get it.
There's no arguing with you on asthetics because its subjective. That's just a futile point. I'm right, you're right. Everyone is right on how they think they look.

But if we're talking function, I'll defend that all day long.
BBS E88s are arguably the best track wheel ever made for a 5 lug 911. They are incredibly light, strong and easy to mend. in fact, their center-lock faced siblings are used by cup car, IMSA, Porsche Club race, etc etc. I could extol the virtues of BBS 3 piece wheels in many paragraphs and still not encompass what they have accomplished.

And for what you get they are a great value too.

There are many people who value the form of function. I happen to be one of them.
BBS or GTFO. Miss my LMs and LM-Rs. Nothing else I'd ever buy, except maybe certain Forgelines and a few HRE models. And forged OEM Otto Fuchs are top-notch. Too much of everything else, these days, is cosmetic junk....
Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love the car. I love the build. Huge respect for what nwGTS has done. And I like the wheel choice for his reasons given.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

A buddy sent this to me today (look at the ad)

He was served a dynamic geo targeted Turo ad that featured my 'listing' on Turo. I put that in quotations because if you actually read the listing it's a complete joke; I was just testing out their site.

Check out this car on Turo!
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/il/chi...che-911/231176

Last edited by nwGTS; 07-26-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Another great pic from GPS Track Time at ABCC.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Default 4 pot to 6 pot calipers. What could go wrong?

Gross. Maroon caliper, cracks a plenty, heat rust and though you can't see it the dust boots were cracked and disintegrating.

I'm installing 6 pot Brembos from a 997.1 GT3 that I sourced from Tom Chan at TPC to help with additional cooling and brake power.

So shiny. Thanks, Tom!

The set I bought from him included all the hardware, pads and hard lines but I wasn't sure which lines fit the car. The only way to do a mock up was to actually remove the rotors and calipers which is too difficult and time consuming for me to do TWICE in my public parking garage space. So I relied on Pelican to help me source the correct part. It took three weeks to arrive from the motherland and turned out to be the wrong part. It was obvious they were going to be too long. Pelican was nice enough to take them back and pay return shipping after I walked them through this. So swing and a miss this time, but that's certainly not the norm.

1) The first part is the one that came off my car a 2012 997 Carrera GTS with OEM 4 pot brembo calipers (caliper part number 996 351 429 10)
2) This part is the one that fits my car with 6 pot brembo calipers (caliper part number 996 351 431 30)
3) This part is the one the parts agent at Pelican told me would fit but it clearly doesn't. It requires a car with a different upright which turns out to be the Carrera 4GTS.

So I did a few hours of research that I admittedly should have done from the start and created this handy chart.

Anyone converting a 4 pot brake system to a 6 pot brake system should reference this to understand how the caliper, upright, brake lines and brake line bracket fit together as a system.

It turns out the GT3 lines that Tom supplied me were the correct lines the entire time.

**Note the pics I currently have are terrible. Lighting is minimal in this garage and I have to do the work after sundown when my kid and wife are asleep. These are my witching hours. Better pics and more info as I finish this up this week.

Last edited by nwGTS; 07-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I had an interesting time with the 350mm rotors.
They were purchased from the RL marketplace with 50% life left but the hats were an odd part number that Girodisc doesn't use. I called them to verify the number and while it is the correct size and hat, the number is an old part # used when RSS used to make Girodisc's hats. Girodisc said that if I sent them back to get them out of circulation that they would comp me new hats and discounted rings. They also threw in spacers and bolts for the rears so I could run 350mm rotors in the rear. Score!! So great service by those guys.

Here is a comparison of each rotor and caliper at the correct scale as measured by the space between studs.

Though the calipers didn't need to be rebuilt, I had them repainted and rebuilt with new seals and dust boots locally and they turned out great!

Next up:
I have GT2 brake ducts that I've mocked up but they will need some trimming and will be my next project after breaking these in.. so to speak. I'm going to document that process in detail so in the future others know how to trim the GT2 ducts to fit our cars.

Last edited by nwGTS; 08-01-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I've been debating my Porsche magazine subscriptions lately and cancelled my Excellence sub. I decided to take the plunge into Pete Stout's new venture and just got this tonight.

Yes it's pricey but that's offset by the free stickers. In all seriousness though the total pages dedicated to content over the year subscription are 3x what Excellence was. Plus this content is better.

And its beautiful so there's that.

Ill spend the the rest of my life hunting down volume 1 though (my first issue was 002). If anybody wants to sell theirs I'm a buyer today.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Gross. Maroon caliper, cracks a plenty, heat rust and though you can't see it the dust boots were cracked and disintegrating.

I'm installing 6 pot Brembos from a 997.1 GT3 that I sourced from Tom Chan at TPC to help with additional cooling and brake power.

So shiny. Thanks, Tom!

The set I bought from him included all the hardware, pads and hard lines but I wasn't sure which lines fit the car. The only way to do a mock up was to actually remove the rotors and calipers which is too difficult and time consuming for me to do TWICE in my public parking garage space. So I relied on Pelican to help me source the correct part. It took three weeks to arrive from the motherland and turned out to be the wrong part. It was obvious they were going to be too long. Pelican was nice enough to take them back and pay return shipping after I walked them through this. So swing and a miss this time, but that's certainly not the norm.

1) The first part is the one that came off my car a 2012 997 Carrera GTS with OEM 4 pot brembo calipers (caliper part number 996 351 429 10)
2) This part is the one that fits my car with 6 pot brembo calipers (caliper part number 996 351 431 30)
3) This part is the one the parts agent at Pelican told me would fit but it clearly doesn't. It requires a car with a different upright which turns out to be the Carrera 4GTS.

So I did a few hours of research that I admittedly should have done from the start and created this handy chart.

Anyone converting a 4 pot brake system to a 6 pot brake system should reference this to understand how the caliper, upright, brake lines and brake line bracket fit together as a system.

It turns out the GT3 lines that Tom supplied me were the correct lines the entire time.

**Note the pics I currently have are terrible. Lighting is minimal in this garage and I have to do the work after sundown when my kid and wife are asleep. These are my witching hours. Better pics and more info as I finish this up this week.
It's a bummer you had all that trouble with the hardlines. For the amount of time you track your car, you should be inspecting your caliper brake seals at least once a year. This means pulling your caliper off the car. This is done much easier by a replacing the hard lines with braided lines from Spiegler. I'll be doing this when I upgrade my calipers to Brembo's new M6 monoblock calipers.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swoardrider
It's a bummer you had all that trouble with the hardlines. For the amount of time you track your car, you should be inspecting your caliper brake seals at least once a year. This means pulling your caliper off the car. This is done much easier by a replacing the hard lines with braided lines from Spiegler.
The suspension, underbody and brake system gets an inspection immediately following every track day.

I considered braided lines and they certainly would help caliper R&R, but remember, these calipers do not have a bridge so the pads can be removed at all four corners without pulling the calipers. I can and do check the seals (dust boots) while the calipers are still mounted. Less R&R of the calipers means less strain on the bolt holes and hardware.

A couple dust boots were toast at this point which is one reason I decided to make the change now. You are correct though that the piston seals can't be checked unless I disassemble the caliper.

Braided lines and either timeserting the caliper bolt holes with steel timeserts or adding bolt studs are good suggestions to preserve one's upright for those who will R&R calipers more frequently.

Last edited by nwGTS; 08-10-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been debating my Porsche magazine subscriptions lately and cancelled my Excellence sub. I decided to take the plunge into Pete Stout's new venture and just got this tonight.
Excellent (bad pun) choice.

Name:  photo191.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  867.8 KB
Old 08-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

Thanks to your post, I just subscribed, as well. Kept Excellence though, either/or never crossed my mind.

You obviously found the "Prototyp" and #1 issues, so your "lifetime quest" was short-lived.

Care to share the source?

Still chuckling at the Groucho quote. Here is one of my faves:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT