Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Practical guide to megasquirting your 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent Michael, thanks a lot for posting this!

For those interested, my current project is tuning a 2014 Triumph 675R inline triple engine on a Formula SAE race car I'm working on. It's being tuned on MS3 and this was one of the things keeping me up at night, so I'm glad Michael was able to disseminate this useful info here because it's a real issue you're almost certain to run into.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

So ran into small set back.....
I fried the MS2 CPU is it worth upgrading to MS3 CPU/Daughter board or just get a new MS2 CPU/Daughter board???

long story short got tired off pulling harness out of car to make changes and trouble shoot MS2 starting to get cold in UT, and miscounted pins when I tried to hook up power in the house no MS2 doesn't power up...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...irt-build.html
Old 11-17-2016, 03:34 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd go with the MS3 parts if you're ok with the cost premium. It adds a few cool features. But for an NA 944 you won't really benefit from the new I/O options.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by odonnell
I'd go with the MS3 parts if you're ok with the cost premium. It adds a few cool features. But for an NA 944 you won't really benefit from the new I/O options.
Ok
the one thing I liked was the SD card option it's only $100 dif in price but if it doesn't bring anything other than that the I guess MS2 it is..

On another not does anyone have any insight into programing a HC-05 Bluetooth card?? to work with Megasquirt??

Dwayne
Old 11-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Ok
the one thing I liked was the SD card option it's only $100 dif in price but if it doesn't bring anything other than that the I guess MS2 it is..

On another not does anyone have any insight into programing a HC-05 Bluetooth card?? to work with Megasquirt??

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Dwizle
So ran into small set back.....
I fried the MS2 CPU is it worth upgrading to MS3 CPU/Daughter board or just get a new MS2 CPU/Daughter board???

long story short got tired off pulling harness out of car to make changes and trouble shoot MS2 starting to get cold in UT, and miscounted pins when I tried to hook up power in the house no MS2 doesn't power up...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...irt-build.html
Problem Fixed
I shorted out the 5v Regulator so a trip to a trip to Radio Shack and $1.99 n it's fixed. component id U5 on Ver3 board
Old 11-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Nice, good work. Now, be more careful!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Here is my newest 951 tune, 93 octane

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...94485567159514
Old 12-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Dougs951s or Micheal have either of you guys tried using the base maps out of a stock DME to use as a base tune came across the Bin and XDF files for a 944 trying figure out if I can convert them to a format MS can use?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:39 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Nope. It's quicker just to use an existing VE map (as you know, Doug and I have both posted ours) and either tune as needed or let VE analyze auto-adjust.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

OK guys, this is going to be the final chapter of this guide.

Programmable inputs

this is a topic that hasnt been covered yet, but it's actually a pretty powerful feature built into the MS firmware. To explain the concept, I will use the example of setting up a secondary IAT sensor. This is "normally" not natively supported, but with a little cleverness I'll show you how it's possible to set up any spare ADC input on a megasquirt device to read essentially any sensor you could think of.
v
since I am using a microsquirt, I will reference that hardware. Microsquirt V3 features 2 unused inputs, these are pins 5 and 29. Both feature ADC (Analog to digital converter) abilities. These pins are set up to read any 0-5v signal, but my second intake temp sensor is a thermistor that doesnt output any voltage. This is ok.

To "generate" the signal, we are going to use a pull up resistor tied to the 5v Vref line and then build a voltage divider circuit. For those who slept through their electronics class, a voltage divider is essentially

Vout = Vin * R / (2.2kohms + R) where R is the unknown value (our thermistor in this case), Vin is the 5v line reference, and 2.2kohms is the pull up resistance. Rearranging gives us R = (Vout * 2.2kohms) / (Vin - Vout).

That little piece of logic is all we need to build a file that maps the resistance of our sensor to an output voltage. Once we define a custom variable in tunerstudio, we can use that mapping to have a functional second temp input. Our intake temp sensor is unfortunately non linear, which means we will have to build a custom definition file to provide the needed lookup values.

;channelName = class, dataType, offset, "Units", scale, translate
;------------ ------- --------- ------- -------- ------ ---------

AD7_Temp = { table( AD7_R, "GM_AIT_R_to_T_in_F.inc") }, "°F"
AD7_R = {(2200 * AD7_V) / (5 - AD7_V)}, "Ohms"
AD7_V = {5 * ((ad7 - 0.0 )/( 1023.0 - 0.0 ))}, "V"

I'm sure that will fail to format correctly on RL's post entry field, but the above text is a custom ini file called "custom.ini" which essentially defines the voltage divider logic. When Tunerstudio loads a .msq, it will load the .ini definition file for the firmware first, and then it will look for and load custom.ini IF IT IS PRESENT IN THE CORRECT LOCATION.

you need to place the custom ini file inside the "Projectcfg" directory of the project file you want the custom ini to load into.

additionally you will need to include the data for the lookup table in the form of a user defined .inc file.

; Resistance to Temperature inc for GM sensor
; Ohms degrees F
177 212
241 194
332 176
467 158
667 140
973 122
1188 113
1459 104
1802 95
2238 86
2796 77
3520 68

The ecu will use linear interpolation for values between, or above and below the defined values.

the above gets saved as "GM_AIT_R_to_T_in_F.inc" and you can see this file name gets called in the custom .ini file. These MUST match. This custom inc file gets stored under the inc directory in the appropriate project directory.

That takes care of any extra programming we have to do, and now we can load up our tune in TS and finish the setup using the GUI in TS.

First you have to go up to settings and run the custom channel wizard. The rest should be fairly self explanatory, you just need to make sure the spare pin you are using matches the channel you select. I'm using ADC7 which is pin 5 on a microsquirt. Then you just name your variable and tell TS the location of the needed definition file. Finally, you set up the gauge and datalogging info so that you will have a functional datalogging stream and also a working gauge on your virtual dash. In my case, I am using the second IAT to log pre-intercooler temps, hence the labels. That;s pretty much it folks.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 01-04-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Doug and I were chatting today and it came up that we should be posting our latest tunes every once in a while, just for the future DIYers to have a solid starting point. Here's mine for my '83 NA.

A few notes....by now any reader should know you can't just mindlessly flash someone else's tune, it's not always apples to apples.

- This car has an Elgin camshaft, a 4* cam key, and a 3 bar FPR (this affects req_fuel although I'm going back to 2.5 bar soon). My injectors are also probably different, so my req_fuel will probably be different from yours.

- I also get about 10-15% ethanol on average in my local gas, so my req_fuel assumes a ~14.1 stoich AFR

- I run NGK BPR5ES plugs gapped to about 30 thou and I run 93 octane exclusively. Obviously my exact ignition table and setup, which includes coil dwell/config/tooth #1 offset, will be different from 99% of people and will need adjustment as such.

- My warm up enrichment (WUE) and manifold air density correction (MAT) curves are based around a basic year-round Texas climate and is sculpted around the behaviour of the early style idle valve (aux air valve) and a generic GM air temp sensor located in place of the AFM.

- I don't run a cat so I target ~13.3 AFR at idle and ~15-15.5 on cruise. Why this is important is its own topic.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
2017-01-04_19.06.45.msq.zip (13.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
Doug and I were chatting today and it came up that we should be posting our latest tunes every once in a while, just for the future DIYers to have a solid starting point. Here's mine for my '83 NA.

A few notes....by now any reader should know you can't just mindlessly flash someone else's tune, it's not always apples to apples.

- This car has an Elgin camshaft, a 4* cam key, and a 3 bar FPR (this affects req_fuel although I'm going back to 2.5 bar soon). My injectors are also probably different, so my req_fuel will probably be different from yours.

- I also get about 10-15% ethanol on average in my local gas, so my req_fuel assumes a ~14.1 stoich AFR

- I run NGK BPR5ES plugs gapped to about 30 thou and I run 93 octane exclusively. Obviously my exact ignition table and setup, which includes coil dwell/config/tooth #1 offset, will be different from 99% of people and will need adjustment as such.

- My warm up enrichment (WUE) and manifold air density correction (MAT) curves are based around a basic year-round Texas climate and is sculpted around the behaviour of the early style idle valve (aux air valve) and a generic GM air temp sensor located in place of the AFM.

- I don't run a cat so I target ~13.3 AFR at idle and ~15-15.5 on cruise. Why this is important is its own topic.
I hope you get the bird on a Dyno this year?

R
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Ak951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We have lift off!

I don't post much on RL anymore, but wanted to share with everyone that has done, has interest, or is in the process....my 951 is up, running, and boosting (very well!) on microsquirt.

It all started with a k26/8 upgrade and a rod bearing job....snowballed.... So i decided to finally go standalone and acquired a kokeln turbocharger along with many more upgrades.

Michael and doug have helped me immensely and had my tune driveable and boosting in very short time. Now I'm driving and playing with the tune, adjusting and refining. The car starts effortlessly, idles smooth, and easily runs better than any setup i had on motronic. I'm also on e85/flex fuel. Anyways....i couldn't be happier with the outcome and would do it again without hesitation. Easily the best thing I've done for the car. If anyone is curious about my details, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to share.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Jimmy76
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone use standard 944 turbo injectors with megasquirt? (0280150803)
These are 4.7ohm injectors. As I know not really high not low impedance.
What settings should be used in MS?
Is a flyback circuit, serial resistor necessary?
THX
Old 06-01-2017, 05:42 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Which MS are you using? You can use low-Z stockers with no problem if you have an injector channel per injector. Microsquirt only has 2 drivers, so at the very least you have 2 injectors per driver. Because they are wired in parallel, the driver "sees" a single low-Z injector (in a parallel circuit, you are not directly adding the resistances - the effective impedence of 2 * Z = 1/2 * Z).

With the newest DIY kits you can just build 4 drivers, or you can use this: http://jbperf.com/p&h_board/index.html

Quick Reply: A Practical guide to megasquirting your 944