The.
Crack.
Pipe.
That is funny sh*t!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with GTS1 to a degree. There are many GTSs out there, not many GT cars; so GT cars command a premium as they are rare. Truth is that properly optioned GTSs are rare also. Not sure what that means, but down the line it will sort out. I think 2WD coupes with minimal options, but the question for a time will be M or PDK. I love the PDK, push the S+ button and it is a different animal, but the PDKs may prove to be the less valuable variant down the road.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS1
I was not comparing dollar premiums ..
Neither was I. I was merely commenting on the fact that the number of RS's out there for sale that you quoted is misleading, because there's a massive flipping bubble going on right now and those cars aren't selling - they're sitting. There are dozens of GTS's for sale at the moment, most if not all at sizable discounts to their MSRP. There is nothing special about them or that market right now. They're higher priced than the typical S because they were higher priced to begin with, not because there's outsized demand for that model.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Neither was I. I was merely commenting on the fact that the number of RS's out there for sale that you quoted is misleading, because there's a massive flipping bubble going on right now and those cars aren't selling - they're sitting. There are dozens of GTS's for sale at the moment, most if not all at sizable discounts to their MSRP. There is nothing special about them or that market right now. They're higher priced than the typical S because they were higher priced to begin with, not because there's outsized demand for that model.
I bet that medical Marijuana is good down there. After filling your prescription you may want to look at the quantity of vehicles produced of each model. There are probably 3 gt3's for every one GTS built.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? Wow! Does anyone know the actual numbers produced?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I bet that medical Marijuana is good down there. After filling your prescription you may want to look at the quantity of vehicles produced of each model. There are probably 3 gt3's for every one GTS built.
Do you think that might be due to market demand and profitability of GT3's. Porsche would build as many as they could sell. The lower number of GTS's produced is due to the fact that it was offered at the end of the model run, and it competed against other 911 non GT or Turbo models.

A GTS is a nice car, but it won't command a higher % of MSRP 5, 10, or 15 years down the line. They weren't that special and too many were produced. Look at the lunacy currently driving the 50th, Club Coupe, Rennsport editions. They were not all that special but were produced in limited numbers as part of the marketing plan. Porsche is getting as bad as GM with all their Indy Pace Car Editions. A lot of smoke, mirrors and marketing.

With all the permutations of how a 911 can be configured they could probably go a year and never build two cars exactly alike. Does that makes these "unicorns", so special as to command a rarity premium down the road?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Do you think that might be due to market demand and profitability of GT3's. Porsche would build as many as they could sell. The lower number of GTS's produced is due to the fact that it was offered at the end of the model run, and it competed against other 911 non GT or Turbo models.

A GTS is a nice car, but it won't command a higher % of MSRP 5, 10, or 15 years down the line. They weren't that special and too many were produced. Look at the lunacy currently driving the 50th, Club Coupe, Rennsport editions. They were not all that special but were produced in limited numbers as part of the marketing plan. Porsche is getting as bad as GM with all their Indy Pace Car Editions. A lot of smoke, mirrors and marketing.

With all the permutations of how a 911 can be configured they could probably go a year and never build two cars exactly alike. Does that makes these "unicorns", so special as to command a rarity premium down the road?
I agree to an extent but I was referring to a particular GTS. Which is the two wheel drive model. No regular S model can be configured to create it. In that respect it is rare.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree to an extent but I was referring to a particular GTS. Which is the two wheel drive model. No regular S model can be configured to create it. In that respect it is rare.
take it from a former 997 GTS owner, when you go to trade or sell it after 3 years, you'll find out just how rare it actually is.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 AM
GTS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on the RS's. Disagree a bit on the GTS. Agree, that the GTS market is not currently all that unique. Albeit, most of the GTS for sale at the moment are 15/16 991.1s. The 997.2s available for sale are in much much smaller numbers for some reason . At the end of the day, the future market will dictate. In speaking to fellow Porsche 911 enthusiast friends and aquaintences, some being collectors, they are keeping their eyes on both the 997.2 and 991.1 GTS's. Some of their reasoning , aside from the actual distinctions of the cars wide body 2 wheel drive and variety of exclusive trim items the car comes with,etc, they like the fact that the naturally aspirated versions produced 2011/12 and 2015/16 are now finite and where produced in significantly less numbers than base and S versions 911' of the same eras.. When you hone the production numbers down to some of the specific GTS variants, like 2 wheel drive 6 speed manuals, the production numbers become even more intriguing.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Because there are 3 buyers wanting a GT3 for every 1 buyer wanting a GTS. There are fewer buyers for a sticker kit options package car than a real GT car. That's the way supply and demand works. Enjoy your option package car for what it is.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I think unless one can quote production #'s for each model; any argument made about supply/demand is purely subjective ... c.f: opinions and assh*les
Old 11-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think unless one can quote production #'s for each model; any argument made about supply/demand is purely subjective ... c.f: opinions and assh*les
Truth.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

. GT cars are unreliable and once turbos are unleashed the GT brand will disappear altogether.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Because there are 3 buyers wanting a GT3 for every 1 buyer wanting a GTS.
Exactly.

2014, seriously 2014 MY GT3's, with miles, are still selling close to MSRP. So naturally, guys who have them are seeing what they can get for them and upgrading, sometimes to a newer GT3, sometimes to an RS, sometimes to another car.

GTS's are not selling anywhere near MSRP.

The number of cars for sale is not an indication of how much value it holds. The final transaction price is. As a dealer once told me: a used car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, period. People are still willing to pay close to MSRP for GT3's. Not so for GTS's.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Because there are 3 buyers wanting a GT3 for every 1 buyer wanting a GTS. There are fewer buyers for a sticker kit options package car than a real GT car. That's the way supply and demand works. Enjoy your option package car for what it is.
Using your reasoning every 911 can be derived from the base model. I can say the same thing about the gt cars.
If I change out the suspension, cylinder heads and rework the PDK. Ya da da. I would then have a GT3.
Maybe you should go protest the GTS logo in front of Porsche head quarters if it bothers you do much.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS'es are coming as 2017 MY, 3.0L tt