Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS'es are coming as 2017 MY, 3.0L tt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No Vettes for me Jimbo. Porsche 911 fan for decades. Not for the image but for the 911 experience. Its the Grocery Getter references of the article that hurt. The 911 Heritage seems to be eroding rapidly. The non accessible 911R offering is Porsches own admission of it. Its like, yeah we can build those real 911"s but we don't do that anymore. But I guess Porsche has decided on their future path. However, I will be passing on it and just keep enjoying the real ones .
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Well shoot, if that is all it is then...

Yeah not too bad. I was looking at the Mustang 350R recently and it was around $3000.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by GTS1
No Vettes for me Jimbo. Porsche 911 fan for decades. Not for the image but for the 911 experience. Its the Grocery Getter references of the article that hurt. The 911 Heritage seems to be eroding rapidly. The non accessible 911R offering is Porsches own admission of it. Its like, yeah we can build those real 911"s but we don't do that anymore. But I guess Porsche has decided on their future path. However, I will be passing on it and just keep enjoying the real ones .
Definitely agree. 991 R is a gem. That's why the 991.1 GTS is a keeper. The performance isn't that far off and it's a relative bargain at msrp.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Definitely agree. 991 R is a gem. That's why the 991.1 GTS is a keeper. The performance isn't that far off and it's a relative bargain at msrp.
I think that for the most part, average GTS owners will not be compelled to move into a turbo-powered GTS, save for the few track rats that want to extract performance at the expense of driving joy and the theatrics of the NA 3.8L motor.

Turbo cars are dime a dozen.....we have instant classics that are rare!

Flame suit on....
Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Matches very well with your color choice.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Matches very well with your color choice.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I think that for the most part, average GTS owners will not be compelled to move into a turbo-powered GTS, save for the few track rats that want to extract performance at the expense of driving joy and the theatrics of the NA 3.8L motor.

Turbo cars are dime a dozen.....we have instant classics that are rare!

Flame suit on....
if Porsche can increase output of engine used in new GTS without adding more boost (ala 991.2 base engine) + improve upon PSE I think it will be a big hit.

On the other hand, if they just take the base motor and boost it past the 991.2 S motor it will be a fail.

I really liked the base motor in my 3 tests, just not the sound. Lag in throttle response was not observable. I believe they did an outstanding job with that base 3.0.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:20 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Where's that 'Not sure if serious...' meme when you need it...

Not even close. The 991.1GTS performance is near identical to the 991.1S. It's not even close to the lightweight, 500HP, 6speed beast that is the 911R.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I just hope they come up with a better rear spoiler offering for the GTS than the little stubby length extension that was shown a couple of months ago.

Make it look like the 911-50 with a ducktail spoiler and a 1/4 mile time in the low 11s and I'm all in.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Not even close. The 991.1GTS performance is near identical to the 991.1S. It's not even close to the lightweight, 500HP, 6speed beast that is the 911R.
They are much closer than one would think. The R is more about the feel and experience rather than track times. http://fastestlaps.com/tests/cl7rlidhbpar
Old 10-20-2016, 11:14 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

About once every other day, I start typing a response to an over-enthusiastic 991.1 GTS owner, who's gushing about their nirvana and criticizing everything else for one reason or another. Then I delete it and move on. It's their holy grail, and that's fine. I agree that it's a great car (yes, I've even driven one in the track). The rhetoric becomes tiresome. Porsche losing their "aura" or some other nonsense. The GTS is almost an R, or some other stretch. "Last of the great" this or that. The sky must be falling, but I haven't noticed it.
Maybe I should have deleted this response and moved on.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
About once every other day, I start typing a response to an over-enthusiastic 991.1 GTS owner, who's gushing about their nirvana and criticizing everything else for one reason or another. Then I delete it and move on. It's their holy grail, and that's fine. I agree that it's a great car (yes, I've even driven one in the track). The rhetoric becomes tiresome. Porsche losing their "aura" or some other nonsense. The GTS is almost an R, or some other stretch. "Last of the great" this or that. The sky must be falling, but I haven't noticed it.
But the flame suit addendum always adds the proper dose of reality.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
thank you, thank you, thank you. i have felt the same way. it's so old, so tiring. i'm glad these gts owners love their cars and they believe they are different, but it seems like while they are trying to convince everyone else, they are probably (at least subconsciously) trying to convince themselves.

porsche makes lots of great cars. you think you have the best one? great. feel confident in your decision to own one, enjoy it, and leave it at that. but to go on and on incessantly about the sound is the best, 3.8 is much better than 3.0, last na, lag vs no lag, blah blah blah. give it a rest.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

They are much closer than one would think. The R is more about the feel and experience rather than track times. http://fastestlaps.com/tests/cl7rlidhbpar
Your support as to why a 3.8L Porsche main line car is close to the performance of a 4L lightweight special is two unverified laps times with no driver information on a short track? You could trick out the GTS with every performance option offered and it would still trail the R on road and track, and the experience would be decidedly different. The GTS is an option package special, not a special model like the GT cars or the R. Other than the wide body and some alcantayra (and the phony centerlocks), there is nothing on a GTS that you couldn't option on an S. It's just packaged more affordably. Similarly optioned S' and GTS' would be nearly identical on track, even if you didn't spec the S with the powerkit.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Your support as to why a 3.8L Porsche main line car is close to the performance of a 4L lightweight special is two unverified laps times with no driver information on a short track? You could trick out the GTS with every performance option offered and it would still trail the R on road and track, and the experience would be decidedly different. The GTS is an option package special, not a special model like the GT cars or the R. Other than the wide body and some alcantara, there is nothing on a GTS that you couldn't option on an S. It's just packaged more affordably. Similarly optioned S' and GTS' would be nearly identical on track, even if you didn't spec the S with the powerkit.
In every publication around you never see an S producing the same lap times as a GTS. That's nonsense. They are simply not the same car. A vehicle is built from the chassis up and a wide body two wheel drive cant be had in an S version. That car will continuously beat any S version car that exists on a track. There is no way around that with any configuration S you can put together. That option just cant be had. So yes the GTS is faster and the more desirable car.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS'es are coming as 2017 MY, 3.0L tt