Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't found anything connecting MG, Triumph or Jaguar to these compressors yet. I did find this interesting EBAY listing though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PORS...-/351378172077
Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Ak951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Those seats are known as berber
Ever see a Berber sport seat? Wish I Could find another....

Name:  J42BFgN.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  790.3 KB
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

MGJ, that's awesome. Thanks for the pics and details. Know I have a better idea what to look for.

I did see the one that sold on ebay. List price was $675. Lol.
Everything that is old or "vintage" is now valuable.

Last edited by CTK; 03-29-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ak951

As you may have seen on the prior pages, here are my berber seats. Very interesting to see how the bolstering was upgraded on yours vs mine from 1983
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Ak951
Instructor

Originally Posted by CTK
As you may have seen on the prior pages, here are my berber seats. Very interesting to see how the bolstering was upgraded on yours vs mine from 1983
Very rare to see berber, yours appear to be in pretty good condition!

Mine is a sport seat...factory bigger bolsters
Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The closest I can come to owning a car with Berber Tweed, is the cloth interior of my '88 Satin Black Metallic Jubilee/ Celebration 944. And, it really isn't very close at all. I would love to find a car with pristine berber or even better yet: Pasha or Strobe/Op-Art.

I took these quick images the other day when out shooting the tire inflator in my garage. Sorry for the sun glare coming in thru the overhead, or the dirty look to the images. I will post better some day,

when I get it out and clean it up after it's winter hibernation.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

For reference only:

the interior of the July built '82 Guards Red 944. It is a FUCHS -16", Sport Seat - full leather, LSD, sport suspension car, originating from Colorado upon import and first sale.
This one came from a retired college professor not far from where the car resides today. There are at least close to 50 differences I have found between it and the other Series one cars I own. The '82-'83 cars are very, very different from what came later. Quite 924 like as they transitioned from that series into the following 944 lineup. As you open the hood, the carryover prop rod slot welded into the front inner fender area is the first tip, as are all the decals, the green vacuum canister, the lack of power steering, a manual sunroof, and on and on. The real giveaways on early serial cars interior wise are the gauge differences, the different , heavier vinyl graining on door panels and rear seat, the PORSCHE script door caps, etc. This one has the dash surround with the cover or cap over the right side eyeball for the egr light on 924s. There was a light in them which was no longer needed , so , while using up all the pre-drilled holed plastic surrounds, Porsche simply 'capped' the hole and that was that. You may detect the cap if you pull up the second image and squint really well at the second upper right opening over the tach/speedo.

Also look at the center console 'brake warning' light. It is a solid bar, not split like later built cars with brake pad sensor warning lights which came in '84 - '85.2 cars.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ak951

AK951:

Well.....

yes. In this rarely optioned 928 with Berber Sport seats, but the car is in a deplorable state of affairs. In Florida (Williston) with a description given me as "Ran when parked ..... seats are dirty"

Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Love the fabric pattern on the seats and doors
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Ak951
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
AK951:

Well.....

yes. In this rarely optioned 928 with Berber Sport seats, but the car is in a deplorable state of affairs. In Florida (Williston) with a description given me as "Ran when parked ..... seats are dirty"
What a shame
Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CTK
Love the fabric pattern on the seats and doors
Many thanks

I love the unique colors and pattern as well.
When I answered the phone call to see if I was interested in this car, the female owner ( who had lost her husband a few years earlier; he was the one who gave her this car for a birthday present ) described the interior as something very close to a pair of plaid pajamas.......

and I knew immediately this was a Jubilee/ Celebration car and had to have it. I couldn't get over to the house to view it fast enough.

She had worked with my wife and knew we were active PCA people, and my spouse had told me there was this black 944 similar to ours which came some days and parked in the lot on a rare occasion in the summer. That it was in really great shape with a very different type of cloth door and seats she had never seen.

And I was just :

Soon to become :
Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Steven,
am going to check out a small Porsche 944 hoard of parts from series one cars.

I bought some stuff from this guy maybe 7 or 8 years ago. An engine, a hood, some fenders, and valances, and a lot of little stuff from 2 cars which he parted. * They were BOTH running , driving, low mileage cars but he bought one as Insurance salvage with very light damage, and the other as a bank repo. Couldn't get titles with either as they were out of state and he considered it more of a hassle legally ( it isn't really ) to go that route than part them. He lost out big time. I nearly cried when I saw what a great car that M456 was.. this is the one I got most parts from. He had the car chassis sitting on a trailer in the backyard and a whole garage full of stuff he had already stripped off.

Any way, when I visit this hoard, is there any chance you still need the air compressor for the tire inflator ? I have a feeling there may be one sitting on his shelf after speaking with him the last time....... If there is, I am coming home with it and another pickup load of parts.

just because : Porsche

A turbo and a normal of some friends, at Elkhart Lake Vintage Road Races, Road America Wisconsin

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 04-03-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:22 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

MGJ, did you just discover the picture post button? Lol don't get me wrong, I love LOVE the pics your posting. But you've posted more the last few days than I've seen you post in the last 5 months, lol!

I want to see more, I really want to see some great picks of your celebration. I can't get enough of those!

Your the one to ask, how rare are the trippy, acid flash back, interiors? I can never remember how you spell it (and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment). I anyways want to call it Prada... But I know that's wrong! Prasha? I know I'm close. And what's the other one you mentioned? Don't know that I've seen that one yet.

I didn't even know you could get Berber seats! Those 928 seats may have been just dirty when Reagan was president... Now they are an eco-system. And does ran when parked mean ran into a wall?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Never mind, Pasha.... But I'm still interested in how rare it was. And Op-art was just another name. So that's all sorted.

Did find a guy who does this... In leather! Crazy! And I'm sure more than my car is worth.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Just have more time now that I'm back from the Gulf and have nothing to do outside while it's cold. There is too much salty sand on the road surfaces to drive any Porsches, and I have about 4 or 5 memory cards I am sorting thru.

So, you are the lucky benefactors. I do have to be careful tho, as this IS the thread about CTK's wonderful, early, and extremely low mileage 944. I wish not to detract from the flavor of his posts and the intent of the whole thread line. If I get out of hand, please, PLEASE say something, especially Steven. I only wish to add to the 944 experience and lend even more light as I see it or remember things as they were around the time his car was built. I will gladly delete any and all deemed not acceptable.

I never posted many photos in the past as I spent a lot of time lurking. Some of my more 'originality oriented' thoughts were not fully appreciated by the chevy engine crowd. Many supportive friends have given me pause to rethink those matters, and I guess I will push forward. Slowly.

Until the crap hits the fan again from the porvette crowd and I get beat back into the bush.
maybe.

Pasha, Op-Art, or Strobe Velour was not too popular back in the day. Nor was the Berber, which was an extra cost cloth interior.

It may have killed some of the enthusiasm for sales perhaps, but there were still willing buyers taking the cars, waiting for whatever was available, and paying over list price to get them. Or the random buyer who appreciated it and did order it this way. It came in the black and white, green and white, blue and white, and brown and white. Most of these colors I have seen in 928s and 944s but few in 911 cars.

Personally, I love it. Nearly ordered the car this way when I bought my '84 new. Spousal resistance.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 04-04-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)