Notices

Anyone from the UK still on Rennlist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:14 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Projects looking good! I've just fitted different sports exhausts so have been practising annoying people. They are definitely a bit louder than my last set up! Fister III + cargraphic 100 cell vs RSR + Cargraphic 100 cell.

Keep safe everyone.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:22 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
Projects looking good! I've just fitted different sports exhausts so have been practising annoying people. They are definitely a bit louder than my last set up! Fister III + cargraphic 100 cell vs RSR + Cargraphic 100 cell.

Keep safe everyone.

Keep on enjoying your car, pretty safe way to spend time I say! Today my Covid-safe activity is cleaning the inside of the inlet manifold with a radiator brush. Sure is safer than working.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:33 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a pretty good setup mate, spending money well!

Latest pics.....I’ve uploaded similar pics above but these are the parts in final primer before painting. 😊

Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by G-UK
That's a pretty good setup mate, spending money well!

Latest pics.....I’ve uploaded similar pics above but these are the parts in final primer before painting. 😊
They are going to look good! Discovered that there were o rings on the throttle body that need replacing, two small rubber rings, flattened and very non standard . Nowhere in the world but Pelican US has the pair off the shelf at the minute. They want 37 usd plus god knows what costs this end to post 11 usd worth, two rings that would fit in a letter unnoticed. I offered shipping at my risk re arrival totally to know avail. For the first time on this project I’ll reuse 25 year old perishables before I’ll pay that on principle. Or something equally appalling like RTV silicone. Maybe I’m losing it here over parts supply but the fact that at the minute proper repair of a German car depends on ordering from CA US is just potty. Anyway drying the manifold after a lot of blast media flushing:

Old 03-20-2020, 02:31 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Cheers, your manifold is looking good. Regarding the o ring situation, it’s not nice but considering where they will be used I’d pony up and pay for new ones. Certain things you can skimp on but parts in the throttle body? Nope! At least you won’t have to buy another pair. I’ve spent about 3k on parts alone but at the end of the day it’s only on bits I HAD to get. The way I justify it is thinking about all the money I’ve wasted over the years, the money I’m spending now is well spent.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:05 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by G-UK
Cheers, your manifold is looking good. Regarding the o ring situation, it’s not nice but considering where they will be used I’d pony up and pay for new ones. Certain things you can skimp on but parts in the throttle body? Nope! At least you won’t have to buy another pair. I’ve spent about 3k on parts alone but at the end of the day it’s only on bits I HAD to get. The way I justify it is thinking about all the money I’ve wasted over the years, the money I’m spending now is well spent.
Thanks for the input! I was in a bit of a bad mood last night having spent longer chasing parts than working on the manifold, the way it is I know. So yes, I’ll keep working on sourcing the parts. Worst case it will be California, if there’s anyone left there by next month,

Steve
Old 03-28-2020, 04:03 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Default Manifold on

Going to try some custom hose work here so routing silicone crankcase vent hose instead of a stock moulded hose. If it doesn’t work I’ll revert to stock. I’m sure all will be relieved to know I bit the bullet and went for the 50 plus quid option for 2 o rings from the states. Ouch

Old 04-22-2020, 10:42 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you not get the o-rings from Porsche ?
When rebuilding my 944 Turbo I could still get old parts from them, but maybe I was just lucky !
Old 04-22-2020, 11:35 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeyoman
Could you not get the o-rings from Porsche ?
When rebuilding my 944 Turbo I could still get old parts from them, but maybe I was just lucky !
I admit I should have tried them, but lockdown was happening and I took what seemed the easiest option as Pelican said they had them. Sadly they’ve been stuck in a warehouse in CA in the US for over three weeks now tho, its not looking great...

Steve
Old 04-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Bad luck Steve,

Hope they show up soon.

Fortunately,UK parts are trickling through. I've bought a few bits for my M3 and they turned up quite quickly.

I hope that everyone is keeping safe and well.

Cheers,

David
Old 04-22-2020, 12:50 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caveman
Bad luck Steve,

Hope they show up soon.

Fortunately,UK parts are trickling through. I've bought a few bits for my M3 and they turned up quite quickly.

I hope that everyone is keeping safe and well.

Cheers,

David
Thanks, car restoration is a relatively safe pursuit in these times. Covid mission creep means adding full brakes replacement to the project here. Waiting on return of the first pair of refurbed calipers, yes UK suppliers mostly doing fine, with the odd delay. Seems that international is the challenge,

Steve
Old 06-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi All, Also in UK, not been on much lately, but spent many evenings a decade or so ago on here.
The following users liked this post:
ste1999 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Barty,

Yes - same here. That is a decent haul of cars that you have there. Which is your favourite?

I've had a few projects that kept me occupied over the last decade or so and have started coming back to my Porsche. I tried out Fister Stage IIIs with my Cargraphic 100 cell cats but think they may be a tad loud compared to the same cats with RSRs. They do sound excellent though!

Cheers,

David
Old 06-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi David,

Thans for the response, yes I have a bad case of collecting cars. I will be culling this year as it is a little much for maintenance. Not sure what my favourite is and that improbably why I have a few. For driving the the N/GT is fantastic, for ease the 993RS and for a slow twist drive the C2 964 / Clubsport are great. The Spyder is too easy to drive quickly and I don't really use that anymore and the 928 is a fantastic and capable car and comfortable. I also like the histories and the condition of the cars and the memories I have of the Euro trips and circuits with friends over the years. Its a tough question which is my favourite - probably my next purchase!

Barty!
Old 06-18-2020, 06:38 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Default Latest pics - almost there now

hopefully another 3 weeks to completion!

Quick Reply: Anyone from the UK still on Rennlist?