Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=G-UK;16463672

Latest pics guys, into paint next week 🤞[/QUOTE]

Nearly there!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 AM
G-UK
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers buddy, apart from the roof the whole car has gone back to bare metal, when we started there was NO intention of doing that!

We had no choice though, this is something others may want to consider since there are plenty out there where there is a ‘little bit’ of rust. That’s exactly what I thought - until I realised it’s what’s going on underneath that counts and you have no idea until you start digging.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Fantastic pictures; really looking forward to seeing the final shots when it is done. You must be getting excited! I am and it's not even my car.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by G-UK
Cheers buddy, apart from the roof the whole car has gone back to bare metal, when we started there was NO intention of doing that!

We had no choice though, this is something others may want to consider since there are plenty out there where there is a ‘little bit’ of rust. That’s exactly what I thought - until I realised it’s what’s going on underneath that counts and you have no idea until you start digging.
Yes, I’m not sure that in the case of sheet steel there is any such thing as “ a little bit of rust”.

Steve
Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Every 911 restoration I have ever heard about talks about the "I didn't think there was much there" comment followed by the "Oh ****!" moment!
Old 03-11-2020, 03:51 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Caveman
Every 911 restoration I have ever heard about talks about the "I didn't think there was much there" comment followed by the "Oh ****!" moment!
hahahahaha sooo true mate
Old 03-11-2020, 03:53 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Hi guys latest pics received today

The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (08-25-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 04:34 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Hi guys latest pics received today
Looking good, be done soon! Watching with interest. My project entered crisis due to a lost part, only thing I’ve lost, turned out to be unobtainium. Thankfully some detective work traced it after a week of increasing concern, now relieved to have fitted it, see the cylinder head heater hose adaptor to the right in the pic below, attached to new go faster silicone. I also managed to get my speedo back in the cluster after repair so a productive week.

Porsche 968 cylinder head heater hose adapter

Old 03-11-2020, 05:44 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

That feeling when you’ve lost something or can’t get it, don’t like it!

Glad you managed to get your unobtainable part.

My speedo tachometer has stopped working, you’re post reminded me, I’ll have to send it away to get fixed, my butter fingers will just make it worse.

I’m hoping another month she’ll be back on the road.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:53 PM
ste1999
Instructor

That feeling when you’ve lost something or can’t get it, don’t like it!

Glad you managed to get your unobtainable part.

My speedo tachometer has stopped working, you’re post reminded me, I’ll have to send it away to get fixed, my butter fingers will just make it worse.

I’m hoping another month she’ll be back on the road.
I won’t make it in a month but we are definitely progressing! I hear what you say, inexperience made me refit the circuit board the wrong way on the speedo. Caused much puzzlement for a while. Second time around all these jobs would be easy. Losing that one part gave me a feel for what it could be like keeping these cars alive in 10 or 20 years. No friendly helpful dealer. No global choices on eBay. Aftermarket suppliers saying sorry in a sympathetic way. Anyway for now the critical thing is don’t break or lose anything non wearable/non-reconditionable. Because frankly the “capital” aspect of these cars just isn’t made or sold any more. I briefly contemplated what would be needed to design and get made a new part without a pattern, not great.

Steve
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

I know exactly what you mean Steve. An example: my headlamps have 2 beam adjustment screws that attach via a small plastic part to the inner part of the headlamp.

This peace was fubar on one of the headlamps. You can’t buy this bit from Porsche or aftermarket unless you buy the entire headlamp!

luckily the boys at Douglass Valley came to the rescue but it was touch and go. A mate of mine found out about this some time later and suggested 3D printing, in future this may be the only option.

Oh yes before I forget, more pics arrived today..,

Old 03-13-2020, 04:51 AM
ste1999
Instructor

I know exactly what you mean Steve. An example: my headlamps have 2 beam adjustment screws that attach via a small plastic part to the inner part of the headlamp.

This peace was fubar on one of the headlamps. You can’t buy this bit from Porsche or aftermarket unless you buy the entire headlamp!

luckily the boys at Douglass Valley came to the rescue but it was touch and go. A mate of mine found out about this some time later and suggested 3D printing, in future this may be the only option.

Oh yes before I forget, more pics arrived today..,
Glad you found the part, pics look good. I was amazed that Douglas couldn’t find one of those adapters when I asked but when you think about it, the few 968 engines there are left are probably not being parted out. Latest bit of silliness is the coolant air bleed screw. Little hollow non-standard short bolt. Mine is scruffy, replacement would be purely cosmetic , sadly they are gone in Europe. Big US suppliers still have but costs ridiculous. I think after the main work I need to get zinc plating working properly and restore some stuff, though I failed at the first try and frankly am too busy to fiddle with this just now and work on the car. Anyway here’s what a pro did with my engine cover:

Old 03-17-2020, 07:30 PM
G-UK
Intermediate

Hi mate sorry been busy with work and coping with C19! What a pain this situation is. Anyhow the resto is on track, had to buy a few more bits, mainly new gaskets. I’m due to get some pics of the car in primer this week so I’ll post them.

Yes certain parts just aren’t available, that cover looks really nice btw.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:54 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Hi mate sorry been busy with work and coping with C19! What a pain this situation is. Anyhow the resto is on track, had to buy a few more bits, mainly new gaskets. I’m due to get some pics of the car in primer this week so I’ll post them.

Yes certain parts just aren’t available, that cover looks really nice btw.
Cheers. It’s not a good situation for sure! I’ve got a business stimulus idea to benefit the world in these tough times, that we dump all prohibitive import dues and crazy transport costs. United States and HMRC UK I’m looking at you both!

Steve

Quick Reply: Anyone from the UK still on Rennlist?