Notices

4 post lift clearance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 472 Posts
Default 4 post lift clearance.

Well my wife may be on board with a 4 post lif for our garage as an alternative to moving. We like our house but the single car garage sucks big time.

I was down at the lift super store in Oakville today. They told me to add up both cars plus 8" for the total height.

Problem is my wife's Santa Fe is 68" (once I remove the roof rack rails), the 928 is 50" plus 8" = 126"

My garage ceiling where my 928's roof will sit is between 124.5" and 125.5" depending on how far forward It sits on the ramp.

Does anyone know if there is much wiggle room within that 8", I'm sure it's a safe figure since the ramps are 4" high.

If I can get the 928 within 1" of the ceiling I think the Santa Fe should squeeze under it with about 1" clearance. Doable?

I have given her the option to sell her Santa Fe since the fuel mileage is terrible and well it's a Hyundai. But I have left the ball in her court on that one. If she chooses to sell it, the lift problem will be solved. I found a beautiful SAAB Sport Combi wagon form her.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Don't forget to deduct your garage door clearance from the ceiling height calculation. I have 132 inches and I cannot get a 68 inch truck under my lift with the garage door open (about 6 inches from the ceiling). Also don't forget that the lift heights are set from the factory, so make sure that they work with the cars that you are storing - you may be an inch or two short because of where the lift tabs are located for each step in height.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 AM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the 1" gap is too tight with the ceiling. Too hard to judge from the floor when you are lifting.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower the 928 2". It will look cool and be functional.. Sell that to the wife!

Seriously though. 1" clearance is pretty tight, and leaves little room for error during use, or to take into account variations in the floor and ceiling during construction.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you've already considered this, but if you're looking primarily for storage, there's a 2-post lift that allows the top car to be stored at an angle, which may give you additional clearance. But pretty much for parking/storage only; not for working under the car.

http://www.mile-x.com/bend-pak-plt-6s-parking-lift.aspx
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on the combined vehicle heights, that is too tight IMO.
My ceiling is 126" and as mentioned above you have to allow for garage door opening into the overhead area.
Plus depending on the safety locking system, you have to be able to raise the lift at least an inch or more to unlock the safety's before lowering the bed.

Have you talked to Babco sales in BC - they ship no charge across Canada.
I bought a Bendpak lift (see pic) from them - not the least expensive but I sleep well at night knowing it's well designed and manufactured to the CSA and ANSI certifications.
Good luck,
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Onami
Don't forget to deduct your garage door clearance from the ceiling height calculation. I have 132 inches and I cannot get a 68 inch truck under my lift with the garage door open (about 6 inches from the ceiling). Also don't forget that the lift heights are set from the factory, so make sure that they work with the cars that you are storing - you may be an inch or two short because of where the lift tabs are located for each step in height.
I'm going to install a roll up garage door as there will be no room for a conventional door.

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Lower the 928 2". It will look cool and be functional.. Sell that to the wife!

Seriously though. 1" clearance is pretty tight, and leaves little room for error during use, or to take into account variations in the floor and ceiling during construction.

Good luck!
I'm not really keen on lowering the 928, I already have larger wheels on it and the front would likely rub if it was lowered.

Originally Posted by aj986s
Maybe you've already considered this, but if you're looking primarily for storage, there's a 2-post lift that allows the top car to be stored at an angle, which may give you additional clearance. But pretty much for parking/storage only; not for working under the car.

http://www.mile-x.com/bend-pak-plt-6s-parking-lift.aspx
I want something I can use for working on our cars as well.

Thanks for the input everyone, stay tuned.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 126 inch ceiling height with a lowered 996 on top, an Audi A3 below. I don't believe your SUV would fit as I can't raise my lift to the top position. My Toyota Sequoia (taller than your SUV) certainly would not fit.
Plenty of room for the A3 but I did install foam protectors on the lift to avoid the Audi hatch from hitting it when open.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM
misty-river
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well depending what is above it you could always raise the garage ceiling
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
gwest1984
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let some air out of your tires.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misty-river
Well depending what is above it you could always raise the garage ceiling
I'm already removing a false ceiling to get the 122.5-125.5.

I'm bringing home a beautiful 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero Combi Sport Wagon on an extended test drive for my wife and kids to see.

If she likes it the height problems will be solved, if not it looks like her Santa Fe will be demoted to the drive way.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

sell the Hyundai or move.
I don't think the lift will work in your space.
also those roll up doors are really ugly unless they have come out with something new. better off to get doors that open saloon style.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
sell the Hyundai or move.
I don't think the lift will work in your space.
also those roll up doors are really ugly unless they have come out with something new. better off to get doors that open saloon style.
Ya the roll ups don't look the best. Saloon might look nice.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a regular garage door but got the tracks changed to almost straight vertical to the ceiling, then back. I also used a Liftmaster jackshaft garage door opener, which also saved overhead space.
I ended up with 10" extra overhead room, which was perfect, you definitely need 8".
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

Where do you live?

I don't think your 4 post'r will work for you in your current situation.

Here are a couple random thoughts?

1 Where do you live? Have you looked at a place with a bigger garage?
2. Do you have room for an addition on your garage? or maybe adding a carport for your wife's car?
3. Pay for storage of your Pcar somewhere for the winter?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Peter

Quick Reply: 4 post lift clearance.