Notices

4 post lift clearance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
speaking of garage doors have you seen the site where they have pictures that look realistic; ie exotic cars, cement truck etc? pretty funny
Had to look it up... funny
https://www.style-your-garage.com/en/Garage-poster/

A couple of samples.. someone needs to talk to them about a Porsche for their "Vehicle Motifs"

Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
you also can sell the old door to help pay for the project. have you tested the cement floor for thickness? good luck with the project...I may do this soon but I am pretty sure my cement is too thin and old and cracked. Also I will go with a 2 poster most likely. The carriage doors look very cool...most of the new custom houses in my area have fake ones that roll up.
speaking of garage doors have you seen the site where they have pictures that look realistic; ie exotic cars, cement truck etc? pretty funny
Unfortunately my wife backed into the door last year, so it's not looking real good, most likely scrap. I will try and sell the opener.

I have not had my concrete tested, I did measure before they poured it when the house was built in 2007. I don't have any cracks. I don't plan on having it tested.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donuts
I had very similar issues with height issues. I got my garage door tracks raised straight up vertical almost to the roof and then back slightly. This way you can use a conventional garage door and just need to use a jackshaft opener. I reversed the car onto the lift so that the hood of the car faced forward, where the garage door opened and gave me enough clearance.
I'm also considering adding large shelves where ever I can, so again the carriage style door is going to offer more ceiling space. Having a single car garage is killer when you have two kids, so much stuff to store.

As well my SAAB 9-5 will be on the lift when I'm driving the 928, and it's a pretty long car.

I'm going to build the carriage doors myself, so if in the end they don't work and I choose a roll up door I won't be losing that much.

But this could all change when I start the tear down.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

subscribed to this as I am pondering a lift...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

OK, getting back to the lift choice.

The direct lift prop park 8 plus:

http://directlift.ca/pro-park-8plus.htm

With jack, delivery and set up. $3890 plus tax
81" max clearance

Or

The lift super store, quatro stacker DX

http://www.liftsuperstore.com/produc...ker-dx-8000lbs

With jack, delivery and set up. $3900 plus tax
69" max clearance

I'm comparing these two since they cost the same, the pro park 8 plus will lift slightly higher and is longer.

or

The prop park 8s is almost identical to the quatro stacker dx and costs $3490 plus tax. 68" max clearance

All have the ALI approval.

Now for my 928 I do not need the extra length of the pro park 8 plus. but I'm thinking the extra height may come in handy as I may store my 928 on 4 spare tires for the winter allowing my wife to squeeze her SUV under it. I can do this with the quatro, but the roof rack rails will need to be removed from her SUV to get the height down to 68".

However the longer prop park 8 plus will slightly block my interior door due to the increased length.

The extra height/length issues aside, which lift brand would you trust, the direct lift or the lift super store?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a Lift Superstore Restomod. They have a deal on the lift, a sliding jack & aluminum approach ramps. I was also looking at the DirectLift offering that included two sliding jacks, but decided on the Lift Superstore because of the non-offshore components, particularly the power unit and hydraulics.
I had it shipped to a local warehouse, picked up by a flat bed tow truck, and the guy slid it right into my garage.
The wife and I set it up by ourselves two weekends ago.
With my garage ceiling height of 123", and the 911 on jack stands with the wheels off, I can't get right to the top. I'm 2 notches down form the top. I have 59.5" inches clearance, which is more than enough to fit the wife's Z3 underneath. Fortunately, my garage is 27' long, so only the hood of the Z3 is under the 911. I still have 2/3 of the area under the lift open to work on the car.
Last weekend I put 16" wide shelves all around the perimeter of the garage at 3' down from the ceiling, and moved all my STUFF up and out of the way. The platform of the lift makes it really easy to get to the high shelves.
This setup, while cramped, works for me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing. So far I have been less then impressed with the communication from direct lift, they don't seem to care if you buy or not. And I'm sorry knocking off $40 on a $3,800 plus sale is crap.

I was looking at the restomond as well, but also like the slack cable safety mechanism is the quatro DX.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Thanks for sharing. So far I have been less then impressed with the communication from direct lift, they don't seem to care if you buy or not. And I'm sorry knocking off $40 on a $3,800 plus sale is crap.

I was looking at the restomond as well, but also like the slack cable safety mechanism is the quatro DX.
The safety mechanisms are slightly different. My cables go slack when I rest it on the safety locks as well, but it looks like the Quatro-Stacker has another guide pulley and spring running on the cable as well. It also looks like the safety locks are adjustable for levelling purposes. The guy who sold it to me said the only real difference is that the Quatro-Stacker is ANSI certified, which is required in a place of business.

Good luck and post some pics once you have it installed.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irobertson
The safety mechanisms are slightly different. My cables go slack when I rest it on the safety locks as well, but it looks like the Quatro-Stacker has another guide pulley and spring running on the cable as well. It also looks like the safety locks are adjustable for levelling purposes. The guy who sold it to me said the only real difference is that the Quatro-Stacker is ANSI certified, which is required in a place of business.

Good luck and post some pics once you have it installed.

Cheers
Well I settled 100% on The restomod from the lift superstore, the deal with the jack and aluminium ramps.

Getting the garage ready. My new doors should be up in a couple days, and hopefully on Sunday I will rip out the drop ceiling.

The lift will have 9" of clearance from the outside of the base plates to the edge of the pad. It's going to be tight but she will fit.

I hope to have the lift in by the second week of April then I can get to work on my car so she is ready for SITM.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Gonna be nice!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there even going to be and SITM this year??
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Livio928
Is there even going to be and SITM this year??
What? It's on their website and I have a room booked?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally the threads start happening by now. I havent seen anything lately.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The only real benefit of the directlift is the clearance. If you want to get a full size truck under it. The 81" clearance is the way to go.

Quick Reply: 4 post lift clearance.