Notices

Fuel Question.. Ultra 94 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 751 Posts

I must say, reading this thread I might be a vpower convert.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Sunoco since I bought my car 2 years ago.... As soon as it's out of storage I will be using Shell!

Very good to know, I was never actually pleased with Sunoco anyways. Back to collecting Airmiles!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
http://www.ehow.com/info_12162213_et...ar-engine.html

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...514_058678.htm

http://www.jsonline.com/business/new...132968333.html

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html

Hey, it's your car and your $$$$.

Shell 91 is all I use in the P-car. Do a search in Canada on Rennlist. This has been hashed out over the years. A few folks here kept burning out their cats till they moved over to shell 91.
You make too much sense Jaak! If people would only read these links they would understand the danger to their fuel systems and the politics behind why we are saddled with this additive in most of our fuel. Pound per pound, there is LESS power in a liter of Ultra 94 then Shell 91 despite the 'hype' of octane ratings. Not even going into the damage even a 5% blend can do to your system, why would you pay more money for less specific output per liter of fuel?

It's going to be very interesting to watch what happens to all these fiberglass and plastic tanks that have been retrofitted under gas stations over the last few years. The low octane 10% (or more) blends will eat into these tanks - no way they get the lifespan of the old metal ones that they replaced.

And to a comment concerning, 99 and older are more at risk: WRONG. There are far more plastic parts in newer Porsche vehicles then ever before. Your fuel pump alone is mostly plastic.

Fuel pump for a 996 turbo:

Cost at Pelican = $645.50
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tomas993
Um, not exactly.

Husky sites (most of them formerly Sunoco and P-Can locations recently purchased and rebranded) in the GTA and S.Ontario all offer a 91 octane product with absolutely no ethanol.
This is true of B.C. too (though not the Island) and select sites in Alberta (those without blender pumps).
Not exactly part two...

From Husky.ca...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra 95 on past and present but will monitor this thread .. I doubt we will ever get consensus !
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mzn50
Ultra 95 on past and present but will monitor this thread .. I doubt we will ever get consensus !
I think the consensus is pretty clear..........V Power.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crystal clear
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Tomas993
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Not exactly part two...

From Husky.ca...

Not not exactly ...

Website is a 2009 fact sheet. Believe everything on the web...
Reality is all 91 in Ontario is ethanol free at 100% of Husky sites. And in B.C. And...

I could care less where you buy your fuel - but at least have all the facts to choose.

Safe driving everyone.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Xpit77
Racer

V in my 944, snow blower and lawn mower.
Gotta love no Ethanol !
Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess as long as their is debate about ethanol, and there is an option to avoid it, why not opt out. V Power it is..
Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Nice if you have the option...nearest Shell retail is over 100kms away. Guess I should invest in a fuel farm! Or a tanker...

Jim
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I think the consensus is pretty clear..........V Power.
I guess it may depend on car :

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...5-ethanol.html
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
V in my 944, snow blower and lawn mower.
Gotta love no Ethanol !
Yup! I found a big difference with my outboard motors. V-Power all the way. With the others they ran rather poorly, especially the older ones. Those have to be re-jetted to prevent the motors from failing. It's funny that in order for most motors to run on ethanol they have to be adjusted or re jetted ....

I like 100% gasoline what the motors where designed for, but hey, it's YOUR money, your car ...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You make too much sense Jaak! If people would only read these links they would understand the danger to their fuel systems and the politics behind why we are saddled with this additive in most of our fuel. Pound per pound, there is LESS power in a liter of Ultra 94 then Shell 91 despite the 'hype' of octane ratings. Not even going into the damage even a 5% blend can do to your system, why would you pay more money for less specific output per liter of fuel?

It's going to be very interesting to watch what happens to all these fiberglass and plastic tanks that have been retrofitted under gas stations over the last few years. The low octane 10% (or more) blends will eat into these tanks - no way they get the lifespan of the old metal ones that they replaced.

And to a comment concerning, 99 and older are more at risk: WRONG. There are far more plastic parts in newer Porsche vehicles then ever before. Your fuel pump alone is mostly plastic.

Fuel pump for a 996 turbo:

Cost at Pelican = $645.50
Big 10-4 ... Friend owns HPCARS and I get to see a lot of P-Cars come through ... as well as others. He usues only V-Power in the P-cars. Many a customer has switched to V-Power and remarked on the increase in butt dyno, less sooth around the tail pipe and ... INCREASE in milage; 10% or more, some 15% ...

One needs to understand the BTU's that ethanol has VS gasoline to see what the difference is.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tomas993
Not not exactly ...

Website is a 2009 fact sheet. Believe everything on the web...
Reality is all 91 in Ontario is ethanol free at 100% of Husky sites. And in B.C. And...

I could care less where you buy your fuel - but at least have all the facts to choose.

Safe driving everyone.

Ok, one more time...

As of today in an email reply from Husky where I specifically asked them if the statements on their FAQ site were correct and current as to 2012.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Afternoon Mr. *********

Thank you for contacting Husky. The maximum ethanol blend under warrantee by vehicle engine manufactures is 10%. Therefore, no more than up to 10% ethanol can be added to gasoline.

All the information on MyHusky regarding our fuel, ethanol content and octane levels per province is correct.

We hope this helps address your inquiry!

Kind Regards,

Husky Customer Service

1-800-661-3835

customerservice@huskyenergy.com

myhuskysig

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 7:34 AM
To: Customerservice
Subject: Fuel Question

I read your FAQ section where you stated: "Husky adds up to 10% ethanol to all gasoline grades regardless of the Province".

Could you tell me if this is still current (2012) and accurate information?

Thanks.

So unless your a chemical engineer at Husky or you have some reason to believe they lied to me and that the FAQ is flat out wrong... I take what they say on face value unless other evidence is provided.

Quick Reply: Fuel Question.. Ultra 94 ?