Notices

Auto Import Ottawa - when love dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
mechanic wanabe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Import Ottawa - when love dies

If you can find a great independent Porsche garage send them a Christmas card for sure. There is a drought in Ottawa. I brought a 993 parts collection that I accumulated for a scheduled spring oil change to Auto Import, a shop described favorably in this forum. What an illustration in how not to run a service biz. I was given hell for bringing in the parts, because of their inability to mark up what they would otherwise sell me. I was told that the car couldn't be worked on for a few days and when I got it back the body work was loaded with grease the carpets looked like they just absorbed the 10 liters of used engine oil, and worse, the whole experience (oil, air filter, cabin air filter, brake fluid and some belt changes) cost $1100. They got their parts mark up and then some. The building is for sale and I understand the owner wants to sell it AND the business. He is devaluing his asset!! He obviously has had enough and just doesn't give much of a ****.

Long and the short of it: someone needs to run a DIY tech inservice in southern Ontario. I bet you could get half a dozen people together for a day and make it worth some technicians while. I am not thinking engine rebuilds, but routine maintenance etc. Toronto perhaps?? Any techs on this forum that want to step up??
Old 04-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry but your experience has never been like mine. I just picked my car up an hour ago.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
renntech
Advanced

Maybe before you vent like a tough guy on a webpage you get your facts straight first. They have been in business for 30+ years and plan on that many more. As you have seen on this site they have a very loyal following. Did you even offer them a chance to match prices to support our local economy. Or do you even care. Anyway I will support any family owned business anyday of the week before some unknown webpage full of parts.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

wow interesting post
did you get a quote before the work was done ?
if not shame on you .. everything you had done would have taken me about 4 hours in my garage .. even the pain in the *** secondary oil filter.
Anyway are you a PCA member ? if you were you would know they run the exact course you are looking for whcih covers exactly what you want. plus you get to do it on your own car on a hoist with tech instructors watching over you .
if i were you i would get involved in doing it yourself and stop whining that you had to pay someone else due to your incompetance.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 278 Likes on 187 Posts

+1 on written estimates and freedom to use imported parts costing 1/2 Canadian prices. All of the indies down here happily compete and use customer supplied parts. Is problem no competition in Otawa?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick question mechanic wanabe....
Have you been there before?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by renntech
Did you even offer them a chance to match prices to support our local economy. Or do you even care.
why the fu*k should he pay double for parts here? Parts are half the Price across the border... Indy here in GTA encourages us to buy parts in the US before hand i bring my car in... you would be just plain stupid not to shop around...

Indy's like that Family Owned business mentioned above are full of sh*t and greedy mo fo's and should be out of business

OP Next time bring your car down to the GTA
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM
renntech
Advanced

Who says he is paying double maybe he paid double from ????. Without knowing the whole story who the &@$k knows what he asked for and what he paid for
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
akw
Racer

I wouldn't suggest the OP work on his own cars. Look at the one in his avatar - that's some shady work right there.

Now if I could just get any of the crazy canuck's avatars to volunteer to work on mine.......
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
they run the exact course you are looking for whcih covers exactly what you want. plus you get to do it on your own car on a hoist with tech instructors watching over you .
Fantastic! Does the Rennsport region run this, or just UCR? I don't see it on their website...

Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For whatever it's worth, I used to bring my Talon TSI to Auto Import, they were always very up front about what they found/thought should be done to the car, what I could live without fixing right away, etc...and very open to what it costs.

If you don't ask them to work on the price, why would they? I asked them to come down in price on some work, mainly because they found some work that needed to be done that I wasn't expecting, and he did. My $2800 job became a $2500 job. If I hadn't asked or pushed back a little, I would have paid $2800.

I don't know about your specific situation, but I find many people come online and complain about being overcharged or fleeced.....yet when you talk to them, they never haggled or tried in any way to get the shop to lower their price. If you can get $1100 for a job, why would you OFFER to do it at $800?!

I was happy with the service I got there. Granted it was back in 2001, but still....
Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with them has been pretty good. I supplied my own tires once which I bought from TireRack and they installed and balanced them for a decent price. The only minor issue on that was there were a few nicks on the rims which were not there previously... I never mentioned it though.

Alignment was done there and it's perfect!

And just a few days ago I got my spark plugs changed there for a decent price as well. I supplied the plugs because I originally thought I would do it myself but changed my mind and brought it to them. They didn't have a problem with me supplying them.

All in all, they are a tad expensive, but the work being done is great! And the main mechanic is a very nice guy and you can see his dozens of certificates everywhere! Their literally the only good Porsche indy in Ottawa!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Plastering your certificates on a wall doesn't mean $hit.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Plastering your certificates on a wall doesn't mean $hit.
+1, i have one... dont mean ****
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Sounds like I should set up a Porsche Indy shop here...

Quick Reply: Auto Import Ottawa - when love dies