Notices

Helmet purchasing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Helmet purchasing question

I am going to invest in a helmet for the upcoming track season (I borrowed for the last event but had too much fun and plan to get out to a few events next season). Any suggestions on where to buy and what to consider buying? I'm looking for a balance of comfort and value.

I'd like to buy from a store where I can try on the helment to confirm the fit as opposed to online purchase ideally.

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should buy next year. Hopefully it will shave a year off the production date as helmets have a shelf life.

CSC.... Sells them. Phaff tuning too?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some brands ( Bell I know ) already have the new SA2010 on the shelf, I think Sports Car Boutique - fellow rennlister - has then in already. Another option is - Mantis - Oakville.

BG
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Go see Ilker at Sports Car Boutique.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Try on as many as you can and go with comfort, not look or price. Its all dependent on the shape of your head, and no matter how expensive or pretty a helmet is, it might not feel good.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a bell sa2010 rated helmet from apexperformance (rl sponsor). You get 10% off and great service.

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

We are a Rennlist Sponsor and also a PCA Club Racing Sponsor. Plus all helmet orders receive a free fleece lined helmet bag, free cotton balaclava and free ground shipping.

You can check us out at www.apexperformance.net
Regards,
Clark

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sa2010 at Sports Car Boutique - thanks guys. I'll get by in the coming months and be ready for the spring!

I want a walkin store so I can try a few on and make sure the fit is perfect. Ill fitting helmets are a great way to get an instant headache.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

You can try motorcycle shops too. They usually carry a wide selection of helmets. Wait till after Christmas, they will be the cheapest.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You can try motorcycle shops too. They usually carry a wide selection of helmets. Wait till after Christmas, they will be the cheapest.
I have a bike helmet that I have used for the track--I assume that they are all basically the same thing?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stay away from a motorcycle helmet if you only plan to use it in the car. If you are with a club that is picky for helmet certification, they might not let you run with an M helmet.

As for the difference between the two, I heard different stories, the most plausible one being that the opening is wider on one vs the other, for peripheral vision.

+1 for Sport Car Boutique
Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

SA and M helmets differ in a couple of areas
1- SA is usually nomex lined and M is nylon
2- SA is designed to take multiple impacts while a M is designed for single large surface strike

BG

Ah beat by CWhaley 4 minutes

Last edited by MY86Carrera; 11-21-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: slow at typing -
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGregovski
2- SA is designed to take multiple impacts while a M is designed for single large surface strike
A little ridiculous if you think about it. On a track, a single hard impact may be the case, but on the road, you could smack the blacktop a couple of times.

Free bump for Ilker at Sportscar Boutique. My buddy bought harnesses off him for his ff1600 and seemed happy with the service.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM
PPo
Drifting

Follow your own instinct... If you can't try it on, don't buy it. Also, don't look at the price until after you find a best fit...

Things to consider:

Eye port. Do you EVER wear glasses? If your answer is that you wear contacts, try the fit with glasses. Why? Stuff happens, and it sucks to miss a track day because your glasses don't fit with your helmet on.

Visor(s). Consider the cost of multiple visors, and consider purchasing more then one. Don't agree with visors, I didn't either until this: I used to run at the track with no visor in my fully enclosed track car... I thought it was fine until a stone flew in, passed my saftey net, and cut my nose pretty bad... and inch or two either way and it would have been a different outcome. So, another advantage, late in the day, or early in the morning at most tracks, the sun can get into your face, so a tinted visor is great. On some days, visibility is poor, a clear visor is required. Personally, I would go for 2 clear, 2 tinted right from the start. Having back-up visors at the track is great comfort... scratched visors suck.

Another choice is to not worry about the above because you plan to wear sunglasses all the time... personally, after wrestling with the routine of helmet, contacts, glasses, or sunglasses for a few years, going with mutiple visors and a helmet that adapts to glasses and contacts was a great choice...

Also, once you think you got one you like... walk around the store for another 5-10 minutes wearing it and see if it is still comfortable.

You may not have one now, but consider the near future and plan for a Head/Neck restraint. Pre-installed HANS points are common, and the majority of quality helmets have them already. It may not cost extra to already have them on...

If the fit is good, my next helmet is an HJC, great set of features, removable cheek pads and crown pad. It allows you to buy extras for really sweaty days!!

If money was no object and the fit was good, I would consider a Stilo... I love the integrated microphone and drink system out of the box.

Can't really go wrong with a Bell either...

Remember, people with cheaps heads buy cheap helmets...

Hope this helps...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

A $20.00 helmet for my $20.00 head

Quick Reply: Helmet purchasing question