Helmet purchasing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Visor(s). Consider the cost of multiple visors, and consider purchasing more then one. Don't agree with visors, I didn't either until this: I used to run at the track with no visor in my fully enclosed track car... I thought it was fine until a stone flew in, passed my saftey net, and cut my nose pretty bad... and inch or two either way and it would have been a different outcome. So, another advantage, late in the day, or early in the morning at most tracks, the sun can get into your face, so a tinted visor is great. On some days, visibility is poor, a clear visor is required. Personally, I would go for 2 clear, 2 tinted right from the start. Having back-up visors at the track is great comfort... scratched visors suck.
Excellent advice Patrick.

Polarized visors rock. Makes it easier to see debris on the track and cut down on reflections/glare as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 for visors. I always use mine. I have a clear and a tinted visor and I change them out in about 5mins depending on the brightness.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good polarized visor can even make the conditions in a Low light situation better.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have any experience with polarized visors and/or sunglasses with digital instruments? The theory is that they are not as easy to read through a polarized lens.

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup, they make LCD displays very hard to read. I don't use polarized visors or sunglasses for the track. For skiing or on the water polarized is the way to go though.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I use them (polarized) and do not have any trouble seeing my LCD dash!

Last edited by CWhaley; 11-22-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
A little ridiculous if you think about it. On a track, a single hard impact may be the case, but on the road, you could smack the blacktop a couple of times.

Free bump for Ilker at Sportscar Boutique. My buddy bought harnesses off him for his ff1600 and seemed happy with the service.
Yup I agree, when you come off a bike you can roll and whack you haead multiple times before coming to a stop. Besides the fire retarding material, I think the rest is there to force people to buy a certain type of helmet (money grab). What's the logic having a narrower field of vision in a car helmet?

Sounds a lot like the 5mph and the 10km/h bumper differences we used to have.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

I bought a M helmet last time because it came with the attachments so I could use in on my sled too.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Yup, they make LCD displays very hard to read. I don't use polarized visors or sunglasses for the track. For skiing or on the water polarized is the way to go though.
Originally Posted by CWhaley
I use them (polarized) and do not have any trouble seeing my LCD dash!
Two opposite experiences. I wonder what the difference is? Anyone else have opinions?

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

It comes down to which Polarized shield (or glasses) you use. Each type of Coating has different levels of light transmission.
Many people just buy the darkest they see thinking that it is the best. But, like everything, each have specific applications.

The Amber colored Polarized lens (shield) has 18% Light Trans.
The Black Iridium Polarized lens (shield) only has 9% light Trans. which makes it a poor choice for inside the car.
Still yet you can get a H.I. Amber Polarized lens (shield) with a 25% light Trans. (probably too light for real Bright days on track).

Many would be better looking for a VR28 grade coating which can give you a 10% Light Trans. in the Black Polarization, or the Blue Polarization with a 14% light Trans. (this is the one I use for bright to moderate light days.. on cloudy days I use a Amber Polarized shield @ 18% L.T.)

This is why you have such diametrically opposing answers.

Last edited by CWhaley; 11-22-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

It comes down to which Polarized shield (or glasses) you use. Each type of Coating has different levels of light transmission.
Many people just buy the darkest they see thinking that it is the best. But, like everything, each have specific applications.

The Amber colored Polarized lens (shield) has 18% Light Trans.
The Black Iridium Polarized lens (shield) only has 9% light Trans. which makes it a poor choice for inside the car.
Still yet you can get a H.I. Amber Polarized lens (shield) with a 25% light Trans. (probably too light for real Bright days on track).

Many would be better looking for a VR28 grade coating which can give you a 10% Light Trans. in the Black Polarization, or the Blue Polarization with a 14% light Trans. (this is the one I use for bright to moderate light days.. on cloudy days I use a Amber Polarized shield @ 18% L.T.)

This is why you have such diametrically opposing answers.
What brand of helmet do you use that has so much choice in visors? I use a clear visor and have been wearing non-polarized Serengeti's with an Amber gradient Driver's lens. In the store I did try on the same lenses but polarized and did find the sun's glare greatly reduced, but I have a RacePak IQ3 digital dash in the race car as well as an LCD stopwatch. I will need a 2010 Snell helmet and this may influence my decision in regards to the visor's that are available.

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I use a BELL (both open & Full Face). When I use the Open face during DE's, TT's, Open track Days, I will use my REVO sunglasses (VR28's Blue) or my Oakley's Amber.

With the Full face I have the Amber Shield, Clear & Light Blue (these are Iridium shields~ which give a Polarization with better LT)

Bell shields are availible in the following Iridium:
• Light Gold
• Dark Gold
• Light Blue
• Dark Blue
• Light Silver
• Dark Silver
Still, I have seen them out there for every (just about) make of Helmet....
Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Bump for Ilker....

Got my Stilo helmet from him about a month ago
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a very lightly used Bell SA 1995 closed face helmet if anyone can use it...free to a Rennlist member.
Note to CWhaley. If you want it, I can deliver to Syracuse and you can pick up...heading down to see my family for Thanksgiving
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I use a BELL (both open & Full Face). When I use the Open face during DE's, TT's, Open track Days, I will use my REVO sunglasses (VR28's Blue) or my Oakley's Amber.

With the Full face I have the Amber Shield, Clear & Light Blue (these are Iridium shields~ which give a Polarization with better LT)

Bell shields are availible in the following Iridium:
• Light Gold
• Dark Gold
• Light Blue
• Dark Blue
• Light Silver
• Dark Silver
Still, I have seen them out there for every (just about) make of Helmet....
Thanks for the great info. I bought my last helmet with clear, smoked and amber visors and never gave it another thought until now for the 2010 helmet purchase. It sounds like Iridium = Polarized.

Quick Reply: Helmet purchasing question