Notices

Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Retrofishy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I just have to find a do-it-yourself car wash so that I can wash the grime off everytime that I drive on the highway at legal limits of course ...
Anyone know any in the Yonge/401 area or Don Mills/Eglinton area or 15 minutes in any direction. My hose at home is frozen...
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on driving your car like it was meant to be.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
I may be wrong but it seems that only North Americians store them, the Germans drive them all year round, even the older cars.
Some do, but then some drive them here all winter as well.

You have to remember, winters there are short, plus once they put a 11/02 plate on them, they tend to stick to the regime.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
Why not? It's just a car...
No its not; its a PORSCHE.

The rest of them out there are "just" cars.

But North America does have an edge over the rest of the world when it comes to the throw-away way of thinking.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IXLR8
No its not; its a PORSCHE.

The rest of them out there are "just" cars.

But North America does have an edge over the rest of the world when it comes to the throw-away way of thinking.
It's just a car. Mass produced and meant for consumption/use. You can slap any badge on it you want, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Honda. Porsche didn't build this car to sit in a garage. Gone are the hand formed body panels and hand built cars (where artisan skills were required). Replaced with efficient robots, stamped body panels etc, Porsche built a lot of them (as many as the market will consume) so it's not like a 997 is ultra rare and should be locked up in a vault. End of the day, it's just stuff. It's meant to be used so one can maximize the enjoyment from them.

I admire the guys who buy these spectacular machines and use them as they were designed. The waste in my opinion are the non-significant or regular cars being treated as garage queens. Porsche is racing, not posing.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
The waste in my opinion are the non-significant or regular cars being treated as garage queens.
Well its a good thing we can still enjoy Spitfires and P51 Mustangs, thanks to a very few that didn't consider them consumables, and they made thousands of those all designed to be used...very briefly.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Well its a good thing we can still enjoy Spitfires and P51 Mustangs, thanks to a very few that didn't consider them consumables, and they made thousands of those all designed to be used...very briefly.
FYI: 2/3 of all Porsches ever built are still around and most of them are daily drivers and not garage queens. Sorry but a C2 993 is not a rare or highly collectible variant of the 911. Who are you saving it for? The next owner? Get off the forum and go do some donuts in the snow in your 993.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Who are you saving it for?
Nobody, but some of us take personal pride in their condition. When I see one that is rough, it tells me something about the owner.

Get off the forum and go do some donuts in the snow in your 993.
Bring yours over, and I will. I'll even take it ice racing.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Nobody, but some of us take personal pride in their condition. When I see one that is rough, it tells me something about the owner.
Alex,
I think it's a bit pretentious to say that only if you mothball your car for months do you take personal pride in your car. Seriously?...I know you're new to the forum and I hope you're just kidding around and not trying to insult everyone here who doesn't share your views.
FYI: mine's a daily driver, track beast, AND concours winner. Drove it all week in the slush/snow and pulled it into the garage yesterday and detailed it. That's my weekly regimen, year round.

All the best,
P.
(also from the Alps, btw)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

FYI: mine's a daily driver, track beast, AND concours winner.
Well it won't be the latter if you continue driving it in slush and snow, but that is your right. Its yours, so you have a right to use it as you please. BTW, how long have you owned it?

Most of the well kept vehicles have never seen the elements and their owners still got to enjoy them.

Personally, I am far more thrilled to be drooling over someone's old vehicle, be it two or four wheeled, than over the latest and greatest.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What can you tell about an owner that bought the car already in rough shape but, for some reason hasn't restored it? How about this, next spring, I'll brign my "Mad Max" contraption to the GTG and we'll line them up. I guarantee, no amount of wax on that shiny paint will get you to keep up.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Anybody know how to make that little animate guy eating popcorn?
This might get interesting.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shemmer
This might get interesting.
Just as you have motorcyclists making a big thing of riding in the rain, I guess some have to make a big thing of driving in the snow.

If driving Porsches, Ferraris, etc in the snow and slush was so common place, why would it even be discussed?

BTW, driving in TO in the winter isn't winter driving. The last time you guys had a massive snowstorm, the mayor had to declare an emergency. LOL I was using TO drivers as pylons.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29jDI9flryU

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter