Notices

Got the "field car" on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Got the "field car" on the road!

This is a cross post from the 928 forum:

This car, and '89 S4 auto, sat in a field for at least 2 years. Ted (Kosmo Kramer) found it but after having a good look at it, decided that it was too much of a project and I agree it really would have been for normal DIY enthusiast. This is when he decided to let me have a crack it it. At the begining of the month my brother and I, dragged it home and the fun started.

Finally today got the beast sorted out enough to get temp plates for it. Took her for a nice ride around the city to get the rotors polised up. They actually almost look normal, another day or two of driving and it will be as if it never had any rust. So far everything looks good. In the last two weeks I did the following:

Check the timing belt.
Checked half the fuses (there is over 50 in there)
Refilled the trans (added a couple litres)
Re routed the two replacement spark plug wires that the field mice used for lunch
Charged the AC.... we'll see if it holds.
Hammered out the dent in the passager fender (Ministry of natural resources backed into it). Just need a skim of filler and a respray (it's black so this will be easy).
Replaced the battery, MAF, and power washed the engine.
Changed the front wipers and cleaned the trunk.
Had my neighbour clean the paint up (he's realy good at this stuff), will be waxed once it passes safety.

Here's the kicker: at the MTO, even though the used vehicle package shows no value and we have a legit bill of sale. They still want an apreasal because the car is over 20 years old. And only then, they will let the ownership get transleffed BUT, only after the PST (7%) is payed based upon the apraisal value. How ****ed up is that?!?!?!

I can't beleive how smooth it still is, even though it has 350K kms and feels like it sitll has all of it's 315hp. There are still numerous small things that need to be addressed but the main thing was to get it road worthy.

I have a pretty good feeling it will pass the emission test, the exhaust smells good, but we'll see in a few days.

Overall I'm very pleased with what my brother got for only $3800. This will be my youngest brother's first Porsche and I don't think he can go wrong with this one.

I'l post pics once I take some.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good going Imre....We'll have to get together before it snows. Interested in coming north to Port Elgin?...Car show on main street all weekend of Pumpkinfest. There should be 3 - 928's in attendance this year. It is a pretty good time. It is October 3-4 this year...........Bill
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the appraisal and paying taxes. It's an extra step that all owners of older cars have to take. I recently bought a 1970 911 and got two appraisals. One from my buddy that has a used car lot and one for insurance purposes. Didn't pay more than a few hundred bucks at MTO. Find similar used car buddy to give you a friendly appraisal. MTO will most likely not challenge the value. If they do, i understand they'll ask the previous owner (if they can find him/her) so make sure your stories match. Then happy motoring!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

went through this EXACT thing on my 911 ... went to voll across the street from MTO and he wrote me an appraised value and charged me 50.00 .. this was after i showed MTO my bill of sale and i got the samerun around as Imre.

get this .. after showing them the appraised value ( which was considerably less than the bill of sale ) they charged my tax " on the higher of the two " .. what complete BS and a waste of my time and money ....

I fixed there wagon though
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's good karma to be honest and pay your taxes!! I brought in the appraisal at less than half what I paid for the car. Not even a blink from MTO. These old cars are hard to appraise. Technically i didn't pay anything for the car... I lent a friend money and he put up this 911 as collateral. I switched it to my name...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
the car is over 20 years old.
Originally Posted by Imo000
I have a pretty good feeling it will pass the emission test
If it's more than 20 years old, it's e-test exempt. If you're borderline, why not wait till the spring to register it and forget the e-test altogether?

In any event, congrats on resurrected a beautiful old beast. I love 928s.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh yeah, and let's see some pics! P-car **** is always a good thing!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately any car 88 and newer requires e-testing so you will have to get tested.
Regardless it would be nice to see some before and after shots. I always loved those cars, there was something about the sound the doors made when you closed them unlike any other car. I had good memories of the 928's.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i have actually seen this car .. it is in amazing shape all things considered.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Today it passed both the e-test and the safety....I can't beleive it!!! All the parts I've put on were either from the parts car or stuff laying around, so didn't have to buy anything....$0.00.

Ted took pics of when it was sitting inthe grass. I'll post the link to the 928 tread to see. https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...he-road-2.html

My brother will take some new ones but the front fender has oto yet been respayed and the final waxing will not happen till the weekend.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Imre who will you get to do the body work ?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by theiceman
Imre who will you get to do the body work ?

I have a buddy that has a body shop and another that paints cars as a hobby (he painted a few of my cars in the past).

95% of the dents came out with just a body hammer and a dolly. It's amazing how easy it is to work with aluminium. I just started slowly tapping away, from the inside (removed the fender liner), starting at the edge of the dent and I could see, with every tap, the aluminium straightening out. It was pretty neat and only took maybe 30 min to get them back to almost perfect. The paint was already chipped and missing so it needs to be re-srayed.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Ted's pics from the 928 forum. This is how it looked when he first saw it. By the second time, when I first saw it, the PO cut the grass around it and washed with 2Litres of water!
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Got the "field car" on the road!