Notices

GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I went out this morning...I enjoyed meeting many of you. Will have to do it again.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

It was great to see everyone again - and thanks for the warm reception for the new ride.

I do have to chime in with JP - the event was certainly tainted by the Corvettes. Nothing against them, per se, but I also have NO interest in them - and they made parking a hassle and were the only folks I noticed of whom a couple of members were questionable in thier behavior.

I'm sure we can't tell them to find thier own location (even if WE started this thing) - but if that sort of volume is the now the norm - I'd vote for a new location.

RK
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 537 Posts

And I am sure some of the Corvette folks have no interest in Porsches...just like I don't look at Mustangs no matter what venue I am at. I would think that it isn't that dificult to just stick to looking at the cars that you like and talking to those you care to talk to???

Personally, I wish more brands came out to the GTG and was hoping that one day it would morph into a truly great event like this http://usa.carsandcoffee.info/
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vee must maintain the purity of zee GTG. Zees udder kars will dilute our message, our vill, our very essence. Gott in Himmel! Only zee output of Zuffenhausen ist truly pure. Resist! Vake up! Vee must fight. Vee must win. Purity! Ein auto! Ve are open-minded. Ve accept our gut kars made for uz by Audi. Vater? Vas est das? Vee diskust. Vee plotted. Und vee haf now made zee vater our own. Und it ist gut. Zee steering mit power. Ja. Zee kar mit acht cylinders. Ja. Zee ABS. Ja. Ja. But zee Amereecan cars? I spit in the general direction of zair steel city! Zee Eyetlalian kars? Ha. Zay might be called kars but zay vill never be true autos for zee autobahn.

Ein volks. Ein auto. Ein essence.

Ian

Last edited by imcarthur; 04-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL - too funny!

And while I'm entirely capable of keeping to myself and my fellow Porsche owners - I think it's irrefutable that the tone and essence of the morning is fundamentally changed when there are as many or more of another brand there.

It's just not what I'm after, and the experience for me is dimisnished. If an appreciable number of the Porsche folks agree - then we'll figure out what to do. If you recall - this was started by a select few of us - Phil, Arneaud, Omar, myself - as a Porsche-only event. I'm simply suggesting a return to our roots - to keep it a pure experience in the spririt of it's launch.

If I'm in the minority - then it'll proceed as it is and I'll just attend less (and frankly I don't get out that often anyway) or I'll suggest we sometimes meet somewhere else to do something else, sometime else. : )

RK
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Corrado
AutoX

Hey guys.

Being one of the "other brand" car owners, sorry if some of you felt we were invading your space. I know that you started the GTGs at Chapters and were kind enough to invite us there for the past few years. I am a car guy and while I have some favorites, I can appreciate all fine cars.

Yesterday by the way was NOT the norm, there were so many of us because most of us have just very recently taken our cars out from the miserable winter storage. Usually there's only anywhere from maybe 5 to 15 vettes. The parking lot is not that big for so many cars, and maybe we may have to find another spot.

Next week we will be at the Sherway Mall parking lot, so no worries.

One thing I have to disagree on is that I saw no littering, or "questionable" behaviour. There were no burnouts. Maybe just a few engine revs because some people wanted to hear the mods some have done, thats all.

I get along with probably everyone, and have been on cruises with Greg, Eshel, anyone who is a car enthusiast like me is cool in my books.
But please don't give us the stereotypical "vette driver" title, because you would then just be fulfilling the stereotypical "Porsche snob" stereotype.

Peace out.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

I totally Agree with Corrado on this one ...

I see antagoists spreading ill will on Both forums , spreading gossip about what the other says this is antagonistic . But i do see valid points on both sides of the equation.

The Porsche guys were there first of course and you can spread the word ( Zedder and Corado please discuss on your forum ) we are NOT GOING ANYWHERE. So those who state on the vette forum they would be glad to see us go are in for a dissapointment.
Of course guys some porsche guys are going to be a little dissapointed when they can't find a parking spot at their own get together, especially when they have been coming all year through all kinds of weather and the fair weather guys show up and crowd the place .. but that's life .. suck it up .

I think we do have to be carefull because we are ALL on someone elses property and customer or not we are loitering and could be asked to leave at any time. So both groups need to heed Phils comments on this. Mark and Phil have done a good with this in the past and it is up to both groups to "police" there own.
To state the vette guys "taint" the get together is inflamatory and we really don't need it, i would take offense to that too.
I am a Porsche fan and poke fun at the Vette guys occasionally and it is all in the best of humour. I like looking at some of the older cars but I do understand our tastes are different and I can live with that. If the get together does get to large and The Vette guys realize they need a bigger venue as to the number of cars I can understand that and appreciate that is why they moved. Not because we didn't want them there in a group size similar to our own to give casual onlookers something different to look at.

Now when the run of the mill Ford Rustangs and chrysler 300 show up ( oops I meant challenger ) .. well now we have problems ..

see ? it's all in fun ..
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 537 Posts

" Zedder and Corado please discuss on your forum "

Actually, this is my forum based on the fact that I am a paid member. I own both brands currently and will continue to in the future (just went and looked at a 997 yesterday). After thinking about it this morning, my feeling is that all are welcome based on the initial invite offered to the Corvette group and those who don't like it can go elsewhere. Frankly, I think it is just a few who have a problem with it and they would likely have a problem with any other group who tried to join their party. Maybe those people should find another venue for their "Porsche only" gathering.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:21 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Vee must maintain the purity of zee GTG. Zees udder kars will dilute our message, our vill, our very essence. Gott in Himmel! Only zee output of Zuffenhausen ist truly pure. Resist! Vake up! Vee must fight. Vee must win. Purity! Ein auto! Ve are open-minded. Ve accept our gut kars made for uz by Audi. Vater? Vas est das? Vee diskust. Vee plotted. Und vee haf now made zee vater our own. Und it ist gut. Zee steering mit power. Ja. Zee kar mit acht cylinders. Ja. Zee ABS. Ja. Ja. But zee Amereecan cars? I spit in the general direction of zair steel city! Zee Eyetlalian kars? Ha. Zay might be called kars but zay vill never be true autos for zee autobahn.

Ein volks. Ein auto. Ein essence.

Ian
That was awesome Ian!

Post 997 too (Agh! Didn't click submit, oh well - 999)

But from the times I've been out most of the Vette guys go to Sherway anyway, or check Chapters out see what's there, shoot the breeze then back to Sherway. No big deal

I like seeing the Ron Fellows ZO6, the Vipers and I'm sure someone will have a ZR1. Plus what about the Lotus', Gallardo, Maserati, Bentley, Ferraris etc etc. It's fun!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 395 Posts

why can't we all get along????
let's face it, it is a public parking lot.
I don't come out often, but I appreciate seeing other cars as well as porsches.
I also poke fun at the vette's but do appreciate them and like most of the owners (enthusiasts). I like seeing other Marques expecially SLR, R8, Ferrari BB512. If people want a better parking spot maybe they can show up earlier.

we should all feel lucky to have this GTG and see the glass as half full.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Mark I naver meant any slight by your forum , I just meant the other forum as I cannot edit there ..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:08 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we should elevate this event. Don't get me wrong, I love standing around and talking about Porsche's, but how about meeting and then going on a short cruise so we can drive the damn things.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, I don't tune in for a few hours and this becomes quite the "us vs them" debate. Let me chime in since my original post #1 started this all at the top of this thread almost 3 years ago.
-Yes, this GTG was started by a few of us in the summer of 2006 and we formalized the location after a few of us scouted it out as a suitable location and we decided it was to be a PORSCHE GTG! It was not voted on, we simply made it what we wanted it to be.
-As Clive said: we are not going anywhere; not open for debate!
-The Corvette guys joined in a few months later, and for the most part it's been a peaceful coexistence with many friendships flourishing across both brands.
-There has been the occasional display of anti-social behaviour but from BOTH sides! Myself and a few of the others have been quick to chastise any Porsche guilty party and Mark (CDN Wolf) has done the same over on the 'vette forum when it's been warranted. Those of us who faithfully attend the GTGs (p'cars and 'vettes) through every season, don't want to see a good thing end because someone pulls a boneheaded move on public property. So Corrado, my comments about burnouts, littering, etc... weren't pointed at any one group in particular or even about this week, but rather as a warning to all to be mindful of the environment we use and how others might perceive us.
Every few months, there are a flurry of "suggestions" as to how we should improve our GTG's. Some of these helpful ideas are posted on the forum, but many are PM'd or emailed to me directly. Some have asked for a change of venue that is more convenient (either further east, west, north or south), a time that is better for late risers (anything after 2 pm was one suggestion), a week night instead of the sacred (for families) weekend, renting a large hangar so we could keep out of the rain/snow AND work on our cars, and the usual let's turn this into a massive "Crystal Cove" or "Cars n' Coffee" meet with every "interesting" make welcome.
What irks me about all these ideas, is that the people putting them forward are usually the ones that have shown up sporadically and have yet to organize a single event or activity for the group.
If you want a different location, time, mix of cars, then by all means start your own GTGs with your own parameters; nobody is stopping you... more than one GTG can be sustained in the GTA...it just takes a lot of determination to get it off the ground and sustain it.

Final word about our GTG: If you don't like the format of the current GTG, then maybe you'd be better off staying home.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well said Phil, I agree 100%.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedder
And I am sure some of the Corvette folks have no interest in Porsches...just like I don't look at Mustangs no matter what venue I am at. I would think that it isn't that dificult to just stick to looking at the cars that you like and talking to those you care to talk to???

Personally, I wish more brands came out to the GTG and was hoping that one day it would morph into a truly great event like this http://usa.carsandcoffee.info/
To be honest I like seeing all the cars, it not exactly like were driving souped up civics.

As a kid I personally liked the old vettes as much as an old 911. I would love to have a Ron Fellow's edition in my garage.

Quick Reply: GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday