Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 04:14 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rjag2034
Hi, I just had my Gentian Boxster GTS 1/2 PPF with Xpel Ultimate Plus Self Healing & then ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum and top coated with Gtechniq EXO ultra durable Hydrophobic coating.

I have low ph car wash etc but am curious about what type of detail maintenance spray you would recommend.

The car is in Victoria BC so a mild climate.
Hi!

You can use a Quick Detail spray following your maintenance washes to help wipe away any streaks or drips after drying. We love Gyeon Quick Detailer for this purpose. Spritz the QD on a soft microfiber, wipe the area, then flip your towel to the dry side to buff away any haze from the liquid QD. It leaves the surface incredibly streak-free and smooth feeling.

If (down the road) you're trying to replenish the top coat of your ceramic coating, you can use a product like CarPro RELOAD. It's designed to be used with ceramic coatings, and will replenish the hydrophobic performance of your coating and extend it's useful life. Gtechniq might have a similar product as well?

Thanks for the question!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

The following users liked this post:
rjag2034 (01-31-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:27 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A customer just purchased a new GT4 with Alcantara interior surfaces. If you're looking for a way to clean and restore some plushness to your Alcantara surfaces, try SONAX Upholstery + Alcantara Cleaner:

https://therefinery.ltd/collections/...lstery-cleaner

Old 09-15-2021, 10:34 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Any suggestion on cleaning the inner wheel arch liners on my cayenne?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:53 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chimcu
Any suggestion on cleaning the inner wheel arch liners on my cayenne?
Do you mean the fabric-like liners inside the wheel wells? These are pretty frustrating to clean.

We use P21S for extra cleaning power with a long handled brush and LOTS of rinsing with our pressure washer.

This stuff is great for deadening sound from stones etc, but allows dirt to embed deeply.

HTH!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
Do you mean the fabric-like liners inside the wheel wells? These are pretty frustrating to clean.

We use P21S for extra cleaning power with a long handled brush and LOTS of rinsing with our pressure washer.

This stuff is great for deadening sound from stones etc, but allows dirt to embed deeply.

HTH!

Excellent.. ill order some and give her a try
Old 09-16-2021, 11:21 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi there, great thread, thank you for your ongoing sharing of insight. I have a 2009 smart, which has been wrapped since new with an advertising motif that covers the entire car. Is there any DIY method of removing that wrap without great expense or risk to the paint beneath? I want to sell the car but its value would barely cover the cost of professional removal, and I'd rather remove my company's billboard if possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CaptainOblivious
Hi there, great thread, thank you for your ongoing sharing of insight. I have a 2009 smart, which has been wrapped since new with an advertising motif that covers the entire car. Is there any DIY method of removing that wrap without great expense or risk to the paint beneath? I want to sell the car but its value would barely cover the cost of professional removal, and I'd rather remove my company's billboard if possible. Thanks in advance!
You're welcome! Lot's of projects can be done at home with the proper tools, processes and techniques. We're happy to share our experiences.

Yes, you can remove the vinyl from your Smart. Use a source of heat to warm the vinyl and its adhesive . A steamer is probably best, but a hair dryer or heat gun will work too. I've even used hot water from our hose to soften things up. Don't get it too hot or the vinyl will stretch and rip quickly when you pull it, which isn't an issue other than you'll have to pick at another edge to get the pull started again.

Start at an edge or corner and pick at it to get a hold of the material and slowly pull. Depending on how it was installed and how old it is, you might find the adhesive being left behind - especially around the panel edges. To remove any left behind adhesive, use an adhesive remover to soften the glue residue. Apply the adhesive remover and let it dwell for a minute or so, then wipe it away - and do it again (if there is still residue). The blue "Shop Towel" paper towels are good for this purpose. They're disposable, softer than white paper towels, and quite soft on the paint surface when wet with adhesive remover.

We like Rapid Remover (by Rapid Tac) as a safe, effective adhesive remover. We sometimes stock it for sale in our store, but otherwise a local signage shop probably carries it.

Give it a good wash afterwards, and you're done!

Good luck!

CaptainOblivious (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

That's fantastic, thank you so much, I have used hair dryers to remove smaller decals from cars but never such large pieces. I think it will be a tough go because the wrap is old and brittle looking in some areas and I fear it may crumble despite the heat. The good news is in this particular case the main goal is removing the advertising rather than beautifying the paint to its best as it is a very high mileage car unlikely to bring much money, so I needn't agonize to perfection.

On another subject, I read above that someone obtained Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper from you, I went to your online store with great excitement but failed to find it there. Do you still carry this product, and if so do you have a link to where I might purchase some? Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2021, 05:25 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On another subject, I read above that someone obtained Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper from you, I went to your online store with great excitement but failed to find it there. Do you still carry this product, and if so do you have a link to where I might purchase some? Thanks again!
We don't have any in stock right now, but I might get some more on our next restocking. Frankly, we are a bit disappointed at its performance. It might reduce 50% of the brake rotor rust after a wash, but it means you're probably still wiping your wheels after a wash anyway...
CaptainOblivious (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemikson
Shout-out again to THE REFINERY and Gerard for continued support!
With his detailed advise I managed to fairly easy remove window tint that was way too dark to be left.
Thanks Gerard for supporting DIY Rennlist members. Much appreciated.
Mile

So you did a DIY to remove the dark tint from the rear window. Any damages to the rear defogger? I always worry about that
bcrdukes (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:43 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
So you did a DIY to remove the dark tint from the rear window. Any damages to the rear defogger? I always worry about that
Likewise!

My previous 996, there was a window tint on the rear window and when it was peeled off by the previous owner in order to pass the provincial inspection (it was a US import) it ruined the rear defogger lines and it never worked. Total let down especially being in rainy Vancouver!
Old 09-18-2021, 03:07 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
We don't have any in stock right now, but I might get some more on our next restocking. Frankly, we are a bit disappointed at its performance. It might reduce 50% of the brake rotor rust after a wash, but it means you're probably still wiping your wheels after a wash anyway...
And I am disappointed to read your assessment, other reviews I'd read led me to believe it was just the tonic for that particular problem. Regardless, do let me/us know if you restock, it's cheap enough to have a punt and see if there's any benefit to be had. Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:38 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

And I am disappointed to read your assessment, other reviews I'd read led me to believe it was just the tonic for that particular problem. Regardless, do let me/us know if you restock, it's cheap enough to have a punt and see if there's any benefit to be had. Thanks again!
I bought some. Didn't find it worthwhile to add in to the process. It doesn't prevent a ton of rust, difficult to get to the inside of the rotor surface, and you need to get in the car and move forward/back to get the entire rotor surface.

When I swap new rotors onto the Fiesta, I may try it again to see if it helps the top hat and edges of the rotor from rusting. Or at least slows it down.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:24 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

I just bought an antique 4runner. Black paint is original about 4.5 mls. Looks like it has been washed with sandpaper. What is your rec to fix/hide the swirls?

will clear bra hide swirls well?

Last edited by Jamie140; 09-21-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:06 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I just bought an antique 4runner. Black paint is original about 4.5 mls. Looks like it has been washed with sandpaper. What is your rec to fix/hide the swirls?

will clear bra hide swirls well?
The right way to fix the paint finish is via paint correction (ie machine polishing). That essentially resurfaces the paint and abrades out the tiny scratches that are the "swirl marks". You'll probably need a 2 Step process on such an old car that looks like it has been washed with sandpaper. The paint doesn't seem very thick, so you'll want to be cautious about how much 'correction' to chase on each panel.

The cheap and temporary way to hide swirls is with a "glaze" product. That product will fill the swirls to hide them - until you wash it a couple of times. Then you're back where you started.

PPF will hide very minor/shallow swirl marks. I wouldn't suggest placing it over a badly swirled panel. It's much easier to fix the paint before PPF, than to be unhappy with it once the PPF is on and have to remove it and start over.

Hope that helps!
Jamie140 (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.